Need ideas for a ccw

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cAs58, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

Ok im seriously considering getting a ruger lcr chambered in 357. But my only problem is i would love something i could still take to the range. But i need something small to carry..im on a semi tight budget meaning i cant buy two guns. Any ideas on a gun thats somewhat small but still pretty accurate out to atleast 24 yards

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My first thought is if you get a semi-auto, it will have much less

felt recoil. Hence better accuracy at the range.

The other idea is you have the benefit dual calibers.

You can carry with .357 (way too much power for me, personally)

but shoot target with the tamer 38 Special loads.

My concerns with my pistols were similar. Since I shoot target

a lot, and hope never to shoot in self-defense, I tailored my

pistol selections accordingly, and carry full-size.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

EXACTLY what I did too. But, I'll be getting the Remington R51 when I can, I promise you that!

4. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Don't own a lcr but I wound think with 38 sp s it would be a decent range gun. Also the j frame smiths are easy to carry and mine is a great range gun out to about 25 yards I have a great time with it. Also heard great stuff about the sp101 with a shorter barrel should make a great ccw. Try to find a range that rents guns and try a few with the holsters that are available you can just about hide and carry any gun u want I would think. And yea Tripp is right I've been reading about that r51 that thing looks sweet I want one too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The gun, even a snub nose, will be as accurate as you are. What you probably mean is "easy to shoot".

If you want to consider a .380 semi-auto, the SIG P238 will be about as easy as they get, because of its single action, great sights, but also the small size. A SAO takes more training and discipline for concealed carry though. In 9mm, the SIG 938, a little larger SAO, but the Glock G26 will be just as easy once you get used to it. In 45 ACP, a Springfield XDS and a few others. I know these 1st hand as well as the LCR.

There is the Glock G42 in .380 coming soon, may be a good alternative.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a S&W J Frame in 38 +P. I can shoot it really well. It is really easy to carry. I carry mine in a pocket holster in my front left pocket. I am left handed. I often forget that it is there.

I also have a Kahr CM9. That is a sub compact 9mm. It has a 6 round mag. It is a very accurate gun. Easy to shoot. 9mm ammo is cheap.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you say "S&W 640/60"???;) Or "Ruger SP-101"???:D
    Either will fill the bill for a good 'shooting' 'carry' gun.:)

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Looks like that R51 may be a big seller!!! Several people here are wanting one!

9. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I will carry my sw model 60
    38 special when I can get my permit in Illinois, so close but who knows how long it will take.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I will go ini a different direction. The S&W M-65 3" is not much bigger than a J-frame and is MUCH easier to shoot. If you are a larger framed person, it will conceal easily.

They are available on the used market. I sandblasted mine for a satin finish and installed a DAO hammer. Fixed sights and round butt. Nothing to snag and full magnum controllable

11. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Check out the CZ 2075 RAMI BD. 9 mm and .40. Extended mags are still comfortable CCW from my understanding, and very comfortable to hold. Extremely accurate at least to 25 yards, and I'm an average shooter. No issue hitting center mass consistently with good groupings.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  12. JW357

JW357 New Member

The Ruger SP101 has a little more weight to it which will make it comfortable to shoot at the range, but IMO is still very carry-able.

Same goes for the S&W model 60.

They are basically J framed sized guns.

You really can't go wrong with Ruger or S&W.

My recommendation is to to hold several and see what feels the best (remembering changing the grips on a revolver is extremely easy and usually inexpensive). Try to rent some also.

I will say if you go the revolver route, I recommend .357 Magnum because it will shoot both .357 and .38 Specials (you don't HAVE to shoot .357s outta it if you don't want to, but it will give you more versatility over a gun chambered in only .38 Special).

A lightweight .357 wheel gun, such as the LCR, will have a little sharper felt recoil, but my wife owns a S&W 360pd and we have shot .357s outta it. The recoil was very manageable because we have good technique, despite the lightweight of the gun.

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

look here. no reason a short barrel revolver can't be a good range gun imo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYbfVGK-vRs[/ame]

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Absolutely right...:cool:

It just takes A LOT more experience than I have to shoot like that...

I always advise against snubbies for range fun but then again, I can't shoot like this...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc[/ame]

15. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have a 2.2" snub w/o an external hammer. i absolutely hated taking it the range at first, couldn't hit a damn thing at like 5 yards. but i began to really practice staging the trigger & putting rounds down range.....i'm no dead eye yet....but i have improved 100% and i now enjoy shooting the gun quite a bit.

16. vincent

vincent New Member

Same thing for me and the LCR...

I like the challenge it presents 'cuz you know it'll shoot straight...;)

17. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Originally a gift from my son 10 years ago, my S&W 642 J-frame alloy + stainless, was my on duty backup gun. I also used it as a summertime / hot weather carry gun. In my old age retirement, I find myself carrying it more often than not, and with modern self defense +P loads, plus at least one speed-loader, I carry it in confidence. I still have my stable of auto loaders that begin with the number "4", but the trusty S&W snubby is in my pocket often. Being old school LEO, I've always been confident and proficient with wheel guns and when out and about, with modern +P ammo, do not feel under gunned at all. The ammo I prefer is Hornady Critical Defense +P.

All quality guns are accurate, it tends to be the shooters who are inaccurate. As with anything else, practice, practice, practice.

18. Sgt01

Sgt01 New Member

Recently picked up an LCR in 357. Had some reservations on the purchase since I have owned a couple of the lightweight J Frame 357's in the past. Loved carrying the J Frames, but absolutely hated shooting them, even with some of the milder 38Special rounds.
    IMO, the LCR is a completely different animal. It's just a hair larger than the J Frames (and just as easy to conceal), but 38 Special and 357's are actually fun to shoot. The LCR handles 38's real well, with recoil being no problem. Remington Golden Sabre 357 125 gr JHP's out of the small, lightweight gun (17.1 oz) handle nicely, and the recoil really isn't bad considering the guns size and weight. Strangley enough, although they feel sort of odd in the hand, I find the gun shoots 357's more comfortably with the optional Hogue Boot Grips. Can shoot 50+ rounds through her in one range session with no problem. Also, the trigger is second to none. Very smooth.
    With that said, I really love the gun. It's a keeper.
    The SP101 is also a very nice CCW, however, it's a good bit heavier than the LCR and the trigger isn't nearly as nice out of the box.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Another 'old fart' retired LEO agrees completely with you.:cool: But those of us who are 'trained' and 'experienced' with wheel guns are getting harder to find.:(

20. Wrangler44

Wrangler44 New Member

I have S&W's model 60 & 442. Great carry snubbies, and I enjoy shooting them. That being said, IMO a gun that is a pure joy to carry and a pure joy to blast away with at the range are as common as unicorns.