Need ID Please

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by zaitsev44, Apr 2, 2014.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

My grandmothers house was broken into this morning and along with the stolen items was 3 pistols. 2 were my great uncles, my grandmother had them because he had a stroke last year and they didn't need to be in his house, from what we know one there were two .22s (one belonged to my grandmother) and one .380. She didn't write the serial numbers down, and it's highly unlikely my great uncle wrote them down as well. The scum didn't take the ammo, and among the ammo was a clue, a spare magazine. I can't find any marks on the magazine. This is where I was hoping some of y'all could help. I took pictures of the magazine, hoping y'all could ID it. Here's the pictures. It's a .380. It's all steel, except for the grip/base plate. The follower is steel as well. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493853.911578.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493863.547421.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493888.033428.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493897.578800.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493908.540701.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493942.659282.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396493952.805671.jpg
    Many thanks to any feedback. I understand there are probably dozens of .380s that take this (or a similar) mag, but it's worth a shot. I can post pictures if need, anything to catch the ones responsible. Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

That looks like a Hi-point CLP380 Magazine

holds 8 rounds :D

Best of luck retrieving the guns :(

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Awesome awesome! Thank you so much! :D

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you know where they were purchased the ffl has to hold the forms pretty much forever. Helps if you know about when as well.

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

There's no telling how long he's had the .380, and with his stroke and all that's happened to him he probably remembers neither of those things, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. The ammo could've been bought with the pistol, and the ammo had the stores name on the price tag. Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to dig deeper into that.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I am not sure what if any other guns use that magazine. Did you eber get to see his gun collection? You could google up Hi point 380 and see what pops up, maybe someone in the family, or his wife would recognize the gun???

7. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I never saw it. I'll ask him next time I see him. I doubt his kids ever saw it and he probably bought it/them after he got divorced a few years back.

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

I think anna is right on as to these being for a Hi Point. I know these guns didn't belong to Zaitsev but this should remind everyone to record the information on all your guns (actually everything of value) and take some pictures. I had stuff stolen including a few guns years ago and its a helpless feeling.

Attached Files:

9. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

If you have any local pawnshops thats the first place I would go and ask if 3 guns of those calibers walked through the door at the same time. Same thing for gun stores that buy used in your area.

10. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Good news. The .380 wasn't stolen, the box that she originally had it in was stolen, she found the gun (and yes, it was a Hi-Point CF380) today as she did a more thorough search to see what was stolen. The two .22s were stolen though because they were in her jewelry box that was stolen. Thank you all for your help and advice! It was greatly appreciated. I'll write down the serial number down from the Hi-Point. I have all my guns well documented, photographed, and archived with several different methods.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

And put the cd of the pics of guns and serial numbers in a place that burglars wont take that too. (like not with your regular CD's and DVD collection)

Glad to hear you saved one of them Z.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We use thumb drives to store the serial numbers of our firearms. We also make copies of the receipts/invoice in case we need to prove how much we paid for an item. Anything that goes to a custom shop keep the invoice copy. You buy holsters or other accessories keep the invoice copy. We have a thumb drive at a neighbors house and another remote location.

Thieves might not take holsters and other accessories but a fire or other disaster will not spare your accessories.

13. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I have all my serial numbers for guns, electronics, and sports memorabilia with ID #s all well documented. I have them on 2 flash drives (1 in my BoB and 1 in my safe) with detailed pictures of the SN and distinguishing features , the numbers written down on 3 different sheets of paper (1 in my BoB, 1 in my safe, and 1 in my garage). I have all my guns documented and photographed in several emails sent to myself, and then all the info is stored on my laptops hard drive. I keep all my FFL transfer receipts, gun receipts, receipts for reloading equipment, and all confirmation emails for gun parts and accessories ordered online in my email. I also keep a cleaning log for all my guns that have pages for each gun with serial number, date and place of acquisition, caliber, unique/distinguishing features, general info, ect written in them that I keep in my garage.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's clever. I might not have thought of that.