Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to buy my first pistol and holster. I am looking for holster ideas to carry concealed. I often dress in business casual summer attire; i.e., I don't usually have a suit coat to conceal an OWB holster. My hands are large and I've found that the tiny pocket pistols don't feel right in my hand. Instead, I'm leaning towards a full-size handgun to fit my hand properly (e.g., S&W MP9 M2.0 fits my hand great). I found a couple holster ideas (links below). I'm curious if anyone has used these or have other ideas.

Cell Pal Holster

TactiPac Holster

Urban Carry Holster

·
Administrator
1,369 Posts
Can you wear your shirt untucked?

·
Administrator
1,369 Posts
I'm left-handed. I have carried IWB at 8:00, but with my shirt untucked, or under my offside arm beneath a loose shirt either tucked or untucked. I have carried three Glocks (43, 43X, 17) all under my offside arm. If I had to wear business casual, I don't know how I would carry. My dress slacks are too narrow for ankle carry and my dress shirts would print. I'm fortunate that my office is in my home and I never see customers.

Reactions: m_ridzon

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
I have a buddy that uses the urban carry one. He says he likes it, but all i can think is there would be a lot of sweat happening.
Off body carry.
Or ankle holster?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone told me Urban Carry holsters are somewhat known for accidentally slinging your weapon across the ground when drawn from your trousers too abruptly. Hmm. I guess that's a good piece of information to know when making my decision.

Has anyone used an ankle holster? What are your opinions of that?

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,245 Posts
Someone told me Urban Carry holsters are somewhat known for accidentally slinging your weapon across the ground when drawn from your trousers too abruptly. Hmm. I guess that's a good piece of information to know when making my decision.

Has anyone used an ankle holster? What are your opinions of that?
I use an ankle holster daily.. I use an elastic band style. I purchased a galco ankle holster that was formed to my firearm, but a feel it kick the butt stock out to far and printed to much for me..

·
Registered
988 Posts
Someone is using the urban carry wrong if what you were told is even true. Saw sub 2 sec draws by others with them and no such ever occured nor do i see how it would be possible.

An ankle holster is an option if 1. You have all day to draw. On the ground or sitting .

But they are very very slow from any other postion.
They do make tuckable holsters that folks seem to like. Never tried one myself .
Honestly from what you describe pocket carry of a subcompact is probably your best option.
Hardly an ideal SD setup by any gun beats no gun.

·
Supporting Member
14,671 Posts
mridzon

Yes carrying a full size pistol posses a problem for causal business dress situations.
You might want to look at a Glock 43 size Pistol on 9MM since there are some great defense rounds for them these days!
I carry my pistol with casual dress and no coat or jacket in a DeSantis Ankle Holster. But my go to pistols for that carry is my Khar P-380 or my Khar 9M9 9mm.
Years ago I carried a 2 1/2" Model 66 357 Mag. on my Ankle as a back up gun on duty. It was a heavier gun but carried it so much I never hardly noticed it after wearing it and I got use to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone is using the urban carry wrong if what you were told is even true. Saw sub 2 sec draws by others with them and no such ever occured nor do i see how it would be possible.
As I understand, it's because the Urban Carry is not form-fitting like a Kydex holster. Therefore, when drawn hastily, the weapon may go flying through the air as it ejects from the pouch. That's just what I've been told though. I cannot personally attest.

·
Supporting Member
14,671 Posts
mridzon

First of all one who chooses and Urban Carry Holster. The answer of course with the Gun unloaded the person needs to practice, practice, practice, drawing in reinserted in the holster. TO prevent that from happening. One has to remember they must develop muscle memory as it is called. Because in a critical situation the persons adrenalin is going to be rushing through the body. And when that happens fine motor skills go to H**L! If serious practice is not done the gun could fly out easily and miss the grabbing of the Gun's Grip as it exits the Holster.
But beside that to me, for casual conceal carry that big Hump on one side of your hip in your pants is not hard to figure out. And especially if you are a bad guy! Only my thought!:rolleyes:
If you have a smaller gun possible a Sneaky Pete System might work for you. They look like a large Cell Phone Holder.
It did not work for me because I carry a Cell Phone in a similar carrier. So it was going to be very obvious if they saw me wearing the Sneaky Pete and the Cell Phone Holder they could easily figure it out!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pancake holster open top , Speed Beez , R.Grizzle make great leather holsters .For concealment I don't like large holsters , you get what you pay for so buy the best you can afford. You could be comfortable with a J frame revolver with the right grips , big hand or not. I carry concealed with both a S&W j frame 38 snub and a Colt 3" 1911 single stack 45acp. Also the weight of the handgun loaded is something you have to get use to . Take your time , read up on what ever your going to choose , firearm , holster and EDC gun belt . I'm using the Kore Essential EDC belt. Hope I Helped in some way
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.