need help

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ANAKINANAYA, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

i have recently started reloading cast have been reloading over ten years i recently noticed that the cast bullets for 357 that i bought from s&s casting are good for the price. I use bulls eye powder and have noticed it is very smokey when fired never did this before with my jacketed bullet heads anyone have any idea why?

2. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Lower pressures of loading cast bullets will cause the powder to burn slightly less thus causing more fouling and smoke.

3. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

you can also be vaporizing some of the bullet lube on the bullet. wax based lubes would be more prone to this.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I use AA#5 for my .38 loads under 158gr SWC S&S lead. I get some smoke but I'm not pushing them at the top of the chart. I get smoke with all of my S&S bullets and figure it is the lube. I have never had any leading issues.

5. mseric

mseric New Member

Yes, nothing more than the Bullet Lube applied to your cast bullets. Your jacketed bullet have no lube, so they don't smoke.

Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. Some powders will contribute to the lube smoke a little, but no matter the powder you will still have smoke with cast bullets.