Need help!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by USCGBM3, Oct 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. USCGBM3

USCGBM3 New Member

IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1884.JPG I have a Springfield Saint and I am changing the handguard and barrel nut to a free float handguard. So here's the problem.... my buddy gave me a free handguard with no barrel nut or anything. Keep in mind I already have a low pro gas block. But I can't find who makes this handguard anywhere so therefore no barrel nut he's a couple pictures of everything. My question is I need to know exactly what I need to get this thing installed. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

With so many nowadays making products for AR's that may be very difficult. Did your buddy give you any info about the handguard?

Check with Aim Surplus, Delta Team Tactical, Guntech, Midway, Brownells and Midwest to start

Del

3. USCGBM3

USCGBM3 New Member

Nope he just handed it over I figured it was free so give it a shot

4. USCGBM3

USCGBM3 New Member

Do you think the two bolt holes on the side thread into the barrel nut or are they for accessories?

5. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

The threaded screw holes are for allen-head Set Screws which lock down onto(not into) the barrel nut(once it's torqued down) and helps keep the handguard aligned and from coming off.

One thing I'm noticing on yours is there's no removable bottom piece(with 3-4 screws on each side) that also helps lock down and stabilize the handguard onto the barrel nut. If you only have just the 4 set screw holes to make this handguard work, I'd not use it as it won't be strong enough to handle the weight and will always be moving around on you in a bad way.
    Nevermind. I relooked at some closeups and noticed yours is the pinch type handguard. Definitely not the better clamping system.
    However, if you want to use it that's your choice, as we're here to help if you need it.
    You might find a good steel barrel nut, but aluminum nut will work at your LGS if they sell AR parts that you can possibly test to see how it fits on the inside of receiver end. Most freefloat handguards if they're of any decent quality will generally be same inside diameter to properly fit aftermarket barrel nuts and around low-pro gas blocks, unless they're a propriety make.
    Then go to hardware/home repair center to find the correct size/thread pitch set screws.

Also don't forget a drop of "blue" Loctite for the set screws to keep from backing out.

I know I've seen that style of FF handguard before, but can't remember from what seller.

Del

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Bigcat likes this.