Need help with the 30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by fatmidgets, Oct 12, 2011.

1. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Hey guys. I'm new to the world of centerfire rifles. I recently came across a Remington Buckmasters Edition with a 3x9x40 Redfield scope already mounted on the rifle, with lense covers, chambered in 30-06. The price (hold your breath)... Brand new for around $470. I'm just asking if
    1. you think this is a good deal
    2. Your opinions on the 30-06 caliber (including recoil, price of ammo, etc.).
    Any help is appreciated, and Thx.

2. Shade

Shade New Member

Without the scope it is a good deal, with the scope it is a very good deal.

.30-06 is a very popular round lots of options for factory and reloading.

What do you plan on doing with it? Hunting? What species?

3. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

4. Shade

Shade New Member

Anything in North America.

I personally would go bigger on Grizzly or Polar Bear;
    but alot of them I am sure have been killed with .30-06.

Unless you are going to Asia or Africa to hunt large
    dangerous game, you will be set for a long time.

5. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

How is ammo cost and availability?

6. Shade

Shade New Member

Availability is about as good as it gets.

Cost is fair for comparable rounds. But then again no ammo is cheap
    any more. Lotsa surplus .30-06 military rounds still out there.

Hell if you don't buy it let me know where it is at (PM please) I might snag
    it. I already reload .30-06.

7. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Haha, Florida! I think its one of those "once in a lifetime" deals. I also saw the same model in .243 for around $650, but now I feel the 30-06 would be more versitile. Thx for your help.

8. 762

762 Member

.30-06 remington 700 adl was my first gun. i loved it. back then i could get 20 rounds for about $14. it's gone up now of course, but it isnt too expensive. not like a .300 win mag for example.

9. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

I understand that a 30-06 round will cost a decent price. I think a regular box of remington 180 grains (not sure if its fmjs or what) is around $18 or so at Walmart where I'm at. But I've heard nothing but good things about the model 700.

10. Shade

Shade New Member

I have a Rem 700 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, it's a tack driver. Would
    be happy to add more of them to the safe.

11. 762

762 Member

i've owned 2 remington 700's myself. ended up selling my first one whilst i was unemployed. :(

i got 700P a few years ago though. i love it. i shoot it from 100 to 1000 yards and everything in between. never had a problem

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You can buy 165 federal power shocks for like $15.95. The 165's will any deer in the dirt in a hurry to. So you dont need some whopping chunk of lead. Its your choice though. A good piece of advice if get the gun play around with ammo and find something you like.

13. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Nice. How big of a scope do you use for your 1000 yard shots?

14. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Wow. Sounds awesome. Anyone have an idea of the "range" of grains available for the -06?

15. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Wow. That's not that bad of a price either. Anyone have an idea of the "range" of grains for the -06

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on if your shooting factory ammo or reloads. Factories as far I member are only 165 and 180s. Some companies you can special order different weights in though. Hornady and nosler are the to that I can think of off the top of my head. Before you go that route id experiment some with the gun and ammo you can find easily. Also find someone you trust to reload some for you to play with, that is if you dont already reload yourself.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Also the 06 doeant kick to badly and it can accurately, in the hands of someone who is a fairly good shot, shoot 400 yards easily. You also have to know your bullets trajectory and bullet coefficient though to do that. An 06 bulllet has a pretty high arcing trajectory that can be kinda tricky sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  18. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You can get 55gr accelerators up to 220 gr. You probably won't find a caliber that has more bullet choice. Expense wise it is on the low end of popular deer rounds. You can get milsurp ammo pretty cheap on line. I shoot 150gr and 165gr most of all. I like to stay with the same ammo for ground hogs as for deer, that eliminates having to know the ballistics of a lot of differant bullets. Iusually sight in at 1 inch high at 100 yds. That puts me on pretty well anywhere within 250 yds. Bullet design is probably more important than weight when hunting with it.

19. 762

762 Member

mueller tactical 8.5-25x44.....about to be replaced by a super sniper 10x as soon as funds are available

20. fmj

fmj Active Member

all i will/can add is that there is a REASON the 30-06 springfield is THE most popular center fire cartridge in America and HAS been for a LONG time.

I know i love mine.