need help with stamps, .303 british

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by saint217, Apr 11, 2009.

1. saint217

saint217 New Member

so i got this gun for my birthday and it has around 30 some odd stamp sets over the gun, can anyone help me out?

Attached Files:

2. saint217

saint217 New Member

so i know its a 1911 no.1 mark 3 lee enfield but what are the rest of them?

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Did you get my PM?

4. saint217

saint217 New Member

no, pm? sorry i am new, so can u help me out? there is aroung 30-40 stamps

5. Gene Langston

Gene Langston New Member

The "GR" and crown stand for George Rex, the King of England in 1911, when it was made. SMLE is of course "Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield," .303 is the caliber, 2.22" is the case length of a .303 case, B.S.A stands for Birmingham Small Arms, who likely made the rifle. "18 1/2 Tons" is likely the pressure level, but I'm not sure.

The arrow is the Broad Arrow, signifying the rifle was property of the British government (an old sign of crown ownership for centuries.) The III I think is a Mark III, which was a modification of the original where they dropped the magazine cut-off, and I think the volley sight on the side of the rifle.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

In the upper right hand corner of the home page when you log in, is a small box with messages for you (after you login).

7. saint217

saint217 New Member

ok, thanks, yeah its a lee enfield 1911 made in brimingham small arms co., its was one of the not so mass produced i think cause they started that in 1913 or 1915 for the war but it has been redone since orginal, no volly sight not even the re designed one so i am sure its been sported as well as the wood over the barrel is not there. its a #1 mark 3 but thats all i know other than what you added, thanks, if you find anything else please le me know and its SHILE?

8. Gene Langston

Gene Langston New Member

It's S M L E. But it does look like Sht LE. Short Lee Enfield?

9. saint217

saint217 New Member

10. saint217

saint217 New Member

why would a gun have so many stamps???? and what do they all mean???

11. Hullcreature

Hullcreature New Member

It is a #1 MK III SMLE, Manufactured by BSA, Birmingham England. (Under King George's reign (hence the Crown with G.R [George Rex - Latin: George King]). A lot of the markings showing on there are arsenal refinish stamps, looks like that rifle has been refinished by the arsenal (Most likely Enfield) several times. Someone has "sporterized" your rifle (obviously).
    I had a No 4 Mk 1 that was made by Enfield and had Canadian, British and Australian markings on it (WWII made a lot of these rifles get around the world quickly).
    The 18 1/2 tons is verification of proof. The old system of proof was in tons rather than CUP.
    You can find some good books for identifying enfields all over the place, some will have fairly complete proof and arsenal marking guide. I am at work right now so I cant browse though them and give you the complete story of your rifle unfortunately.