Need help with SKS value.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Jun 8, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have a Chinese SKS with a folding stock and tapco mag, most of the parts match but they dont match the reciever. It is missing the op rod and gas tube but has everything else.

The bore is very good and the metal has been bead blasted and painted.

Anyway, I plan to take it to a gun show tomorrow and sell it. How much should I put on it?

Btw, sorry for the lack of sentence structure, I'm kinda in a hurry.:D

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Eh I'd say $200 max. I'm no sks expert I've only had one for about a month.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

You are going to try to sell a non-operable, incomplete SKS at a gunshow? I would expect some low-balling. Have you considered completing it first with the tapco op-rod & gas tube combo?

In non-working shape, i would ask $200 and be prepared to be haggled down.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  4. sputnik1988

Was planning on it but to put it bluntly, I'm poor.:(

I'd Like to get $150-$175. Do you think there is any chance?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

There's always a chance.

6. sputnik1988

Id like to maybe pick up a Nagant and a can of ammo in its place.

7. sputnik1988

I may try to pick up a gas tube and op rod while I'm there so its complete, may help it sell.

8. sputnik1988

Assuming that I go ahead and finish it, how much would you guys say it's worth?

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is a tough question. Are you 100% sure that it would be safe to shoot if you bought those parts? Did you loose them? Or was it non operational when you got it? I would not sell a gun as complete if I didnt know for sure that it was safe.

10. sputnik1988

Never shot it, it was in parts when I got it. It needs to have the headspace checked as its not the original bolt. I have full intention of disclosing this information.

It came from a old man that liked to work on/restore guns. But for some reason he decided to get out of it and sold a bunch of stuff to my uncle. The SKS barreled reciever and a few other parts for it were included. I bought parts that weren't there or that my uncle misplaced.

11. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

With the parts missing I'd say $200. But if it was complete I'd say $250 to $300.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

External mag,(one of the things with serials is the original, internal mag),

other serials don't match the receiver, even if you get it running,

at a gun show I wouldn't expect north of 250$...

13. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

But then again it's a gun show your going to. The price depends on who you will be selling it to, either a gun dealer or a gun nut. Most gun dealers at the gun shows I've been to definitely won't give you the cash you're asking for, unless your asking for alot less than it's worth. But if you sell it to just a regular gun nut then you could get a pretty good sum of cash.

14. sputnik1988

Almost sold it, I told the guy $300 and he was interested until he saw that it didn't have a gas tube. I could have let it go for $200 but decided I would hold out for more. Come this fall i might get $500 out of it... I hope not.

15. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

If it's the only SKS you have buy the parts you need online and keep it. I know I would. Good performance, cheap to shoot, and fun to shoot.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well at the least, get it working now so you know what you've got!