Need help with Rossi .38spl

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by FaTmAn, May 12, 2011.

1. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

A friend was given a Rossi .38 spl and would like to know how old it is, how much it might be worth, and where he might be able to find grips for it. He took it to a local dealer here in our area and all they said was they don't make it any more. So he asked me i thought of you guys and knowledge that is pooled on this forum. I looked in a few of my buying guides and couldn't find anything so here goes.

this is everything on the firearm i could find as ingravings

Interarms Alexandria, virginia D504042 Ind. Brrs Rossi Mark Reg Sa leopold RS m68. also under the chamber it had markings saying Brazil.

Attached Files:

2. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Its a Rossi Model 68, introduced in 1978 and is an adaptation of the earlier Model 27 Pioneer revolver. Almost identical to the Model 27, the Model 68 has some improvements, such as an adjustable rear sight and a ramp front sight. Its a close copy of the S&W Model 36 and was produced under license from S&W on their machinery in Brazil.

As for finding grips: I don't know :eek:

Last edited: May 12, 2011

3. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

So my next question is do you think s&w grips would fit on it.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

In the shape it is in, As far as a good estimate I think would be $200.00 to $250.00. Obviously it is not a Smith & Wesson. And I am 99% sure that Smith Grips will not fit on it as other Smith parts will not fit it. I use to own two gun shops and If I remember someone tried grips in the past. Although it is a good copy of the Smith somethings were changed to eliminate any patent issues. And if my memory is correct the grips were a part of some modifications.
    Anyway for the year of pistol it is in excellent condition.

5. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Thanks all for the answers and my friend was amazed how fast i was able to give him the information and i gave u all full credit

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What does Rossi say? The latest brochures show different grips, and I don't think the company would change their format too much.