Need help with my savage 22....got problems!!!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by sharpshtr, Oct 13, 2012.

1. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

I bought this savage 22 and it sights in perfect at 50 yards I mean dime size 5 shot groups. Then I go out squirrel hunting and miss. For example, this morning I sighted in again because everytime I shoot I have too. I sighted in at 50 yards and then about 6 hours later shot again at a target and hit about 1 1/4" low. The gun went right to its case. I don't understand why I always have to sight in everytime I want to shoot. Any help ?8' clueleaa

2. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Usually when a gun is that erratic the mounts on the scope are loose or bolt(s) holding the stock to the barrel/action are loose.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

1-Are you mounts and rings tight?
    2-Are you cleaning the rifle after each session?
    3-When sighting in, do you get a 1st shot flyer from a cold barrel?
    4-Are you using the same ammo you hunt with to sight in?
    The 1st shot from a clean or cold barrel can fly. Especially a clean one. Different ammo will shoot to a different point. If you change ammo, it can take several rounds before the rifle starts liking it.

4. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

Okay thanks. I'll check into all of that

5. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

Yes I have them tight, does it hurt the scope to have them to tight ?

No I'm not cleaning it after each session.

No I don't have a flyer from a cold/cleaned barrel. The 1st shot is the same as the 5th one.

Yes I'm using the same ammo I hunt with. I don't switch ammo. I'm using cci mini mags, I have shot about 250 times fighting this sighting in problem.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

sounds like something is loose. check every screw. you can tighten the scope screws quite tight and should cause no damage

7. JTJ

Check the screws that secure the action to the stock. They should be torqued at 20-24 inch pounds. Which stock do you have? The plastic stock has too much drop at the heel and needs to be padded for a good cheek weld. Are you using a rim fire scope, one with an adjustable AO or a center fire scope? If nothing is loose you might be having a parallax problem. Scopes for center fire rifles are parallax set at 100 yards while rim fire scopes are parallax set at 50 yards. At the bench you may get a repeatable cheek weld but in the field it could be different. A parallax error could be throwing you off. I had to add a cheek rest to my Savage MKII FVSR and I changed the stock on my wife's FV. I complained to Savage about the stocks but it did not do any good.

8. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

I will check them screws. I have the sythentic stock..I want to order a Boyd's wooden thumb hole stock. Yes I'm joshing a rimfire scope with a AO. I'm using the BSA sweet 22. Would a slightly different cheek weld throw you off that much ? Yeah I'm not very happy with the stock on this gun but when I sight in, I enjoy the gun. It shoots good for me then.

9. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

Okay thanks. I'll make sure they're pretty tight. I'll also check other screws

10. coreyDthatsme

coreyDthatsme New Member

Is what your referring to a savage mark II

11. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

Yes a savage mark II fv

12. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

problems with Savage .22

Can not add to the great advice that was given!:) Cliff

13. coreyDthatsme

coreyDthatsme New Member

I would just follow the other advice, never had problems myself but sounds like something is loose

14. sharpshtr

sharpshtr New Member

I tried sighting it in today again. I guess time will tell if it helps or makes it worse. In planning on eventually upgrading to a wood thumbhole stock and a mueller rimfire scope but that's not until next year.

15. JTJ

I used a little Kydex to make this cheek riser. It can be slotted for adjustment. I can take the bolt out without removing the cheek piece.

Attached Files:

16. JTJ

This is my wife's FV in 17HM2 with a Boyds thumbhole. I had to shorten the stock and reshape the cheek rest to fit her. You will need new bottom metal (trigger guard and mag plate) if you get a wood stock.

Attached Files:

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Assumming every thing is tight you need to log how your rifle shoots cold and hot. Some rifles need to warm up to shot its best but knowing where that first cold bore shot will hit is a big deal. At matchs you do have "spotters" that allow for warm up and fine tuneing. Also what ammo are you shooting. A lubed ammo like what wolf and sk uses if shot in a cold dirty bore does not very as much as the same ammo in a cold clean dry bore or useing a unlubed ammo. Next time you go to the range see where your first 4 shoots hit and thry a different ammo and log it in a note pad. Nowing that will keep you from missing .

18. kingfish15

kingfish15 New Member

Borrow a different scope from someone and try it. Do not over tighten the rings. If the new scope holds the same point of aim, you will know what the culprit is. Looks like you have checked everything else.