Need Help With My Chinese Norinco SkS Please

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by LiLJofVZC, Jan 22, 2013.

1. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

I bought an Chinese Norinco, 7 digit serial number on gun, begining with 25*****, Has 3 chinese symbols, also has CSI Ont CA, wood stock serial #s match, with a trike bayonete. Anyone Help Give any info about this gun, age, and and help? Please

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, while the Chinese began making their version of the SKS in 1956 (that's why it's called a Type 56) Norinco (China North Industries) did not begin operations until 1980.

Many of their Type 56 carbines were imported in the early 90s by China Sports Incoporated (CSI) of Ontario, California. In 1993, further import of these rifles was blocked when China lost its favored nation trade status.

The markings for "Norinco" in Chinese would usually be 北方工业 or 北方工業. Do you have instructions on how to take it down, care for it, load it?

If not, see here: http://stevespages.com/pdf/sks_56.pdf

Now, you next question is going to be "How do you convert this to accept a removable magazine?" My answer is - Don't try it. They work very well with the factory fixed mag. 98 out of 100 that someone tries to fix up with a detachable mag does not work at all.

PLEASE remove and clean the bolt thoroughly before shooting. If the firing pin channel has congealed grease in it, can cause the firing pin to stick in the foward position, resulting in uncontrollable firing as soon as you let the bolt slam home.

Fun little carbines. Got my first one in 67.

BTW- PICTURES! We need PICTURES!

And welcome to the forum- see that you are a new guy here. Drop by the Intro thread and say hello, tell us a bit about yourself.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

3. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

here is one picture

Attached Files:

4. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

Here is another

Attached Files:

5. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

And one More Picture

Attached Files:

6. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

Here is whole pic, I have trike bayonete and original wood stock that reads 07547

Attached Files:

7. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

and yes, it is a fixed mag and had a bunch of grease in it. cleaned well, and fired 40 rds thru without jam or problem. Anyway to tell year and info on it based on info and pics I gave?

8. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Is that the tapco stock that you have on there?

9. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

Yes, Tapco Stock, also have original wood stock with matching serual #s

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I recommend a spring loaded firing pin. Very good for avoiding the old sks slam fire issue.

11. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

what was the slam firing issue abouy. What happens when it slam fires?

12. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

It almost goes into automatic mode.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

It will fire full auto whether you pull the trigger or not, very dangerous, very illegal. Be sure to keep the firing pin clean.

14. c3shooter

Slam fire- if the firing pin is stuck in the forward position (dried grease, etc) when you pull the bolt back, release it, and it SLAMS forward, it will fire. And againandagainandagainandagainandagainand... well, you get the idea. It will stop when it runs out of ammo.

At that point, if no one is hurt, take your left hand, reach back, and pull your skivvies out of....

BTW, I would hang on to that original stock if the numbers match the rifle.

15. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Regarding the three Chinese symbols the first two are wu (5) and liu (6), I can't read the third one

16. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

So can anyone tell me the age or wether its pre-ban, or info, and mabe what it is worth, specially with matching wood stock. I use Tapco Stock to prevent from having to use wood stick to prevent wear and tear

17. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

If you can get a better picture and I can read the third character I might be able to

18. c3shooter

The Clinton AWB went into effect in 1994. Import of Norinco SKS rifles stopped in 1993. Your rifle is older than the AWB.

19. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

So, if It does not have the /26\ symbol, but has three symbols, obviously meaning type 56, dating math suggest I add first digit to year 56. My serial number is 7 digits long. it is 25*****. so would that make it a 1958, while other math says I add first 2 digits to 56' which would make it 1981'. Can someone tell me which one sounds correct? all other numbers on gun and wood stock only have last 5 digits of serial number, not 7. I just need a year now

20. LiLJofVZC

LiLJofVZC New Member

one site says if serial numbers are 999,999 and under, 1956. 1mill serial numbers 57, 2 mill serial #s 58, 3 mill 59, 4 mill and up mill 80 and up. Mine is 25*7*4*, does that make it a 57?? Please someone help me date this. Just a date