Need help with low-budget scope.

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Pab0whunt3r, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Pab0whunt3r

Pab0whunt3r New Member

I'm looking for a decent scope for under $200.I've narrowed down a few options.First,I'm just looking for a scope to learn like hold over,ranging,etc. so I started looking at mil dot scopes.The Simmons ProHunter 6-21x44 was one of the first to jump out at me.The fact that Simmons has a 25% rebate makes the deal sweeter.Haven't really found much on the scope though.The next I found was the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50.Found mixed reviews on it and honestly don't need anything that big.The next scope I found was a Nikon 3-9x40 Pro Staff with the BDC reticle.The scope is going on my Remington 700 7mm mag.The owner before me had a muzzlebrake installed so recoil is alot less than normal.I think I know the obvious answer,go with the Nikon,but I figured I'd ask first.I know what I have to spend is nothing to write home about but times are tough.I know to stay away from some of the really "cheap" brands and am trying to do the best I can for the money.The scope that's on it now is a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44,which isn't bad or anything.Just looking to try something new to get a feel for how some of these other reticles work.The 7mm will only be used in long fields or open areas so it'd be something to try.It's not my main hunting rifle and so far I've only shot paper with it.Considering I'd use it for longer shots,it'd be nice to be able to make them and have some sort of reference points for holdover if needed.

2. opaww

opaww New Member

I have fair luck with my sightmark 4-16x44 MilDot scope. For $175 U.S. it is not a real great scope but not a bad scope either. The sight picture is clear; the Lines are easy to see in normal light, and with the added illuminated reticle for low light it helps a lot.

I would rather have a Millet or Night force but I just don't have the money for them.

3. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

check out optics planet OpticsPlanet – Best Binoculars, Night Vision, Rifle Scopes, Sunglasses, Flashlights, Telescopes, Range Finders, Microscopes & more on SALE

Check out weavers as well. I love Nikon scopes The last two I got were NIKON. I got a 6.5-20x42mm on my 223 R700VLS and a 6-24x50mm SF on my AR.

Also take a looksee at Mueller Optics they are some great scopes in your price range. SWFA Riflescopes Mueller Riflescopes

SWFA Riflescopes Weaver Rifle Scopes Weaver Classic V Rifle Scopes

SWFA Riflescopes Weaver Rifle Scopes

Also heard some good things about Truglow scopes.
    SWFA Riflescopes Truglo Riflescopes Truglo Infinity Riflescopes

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Here's a Nikon Team Primos on ebay for $199. plus $11. shipping. Snatch it up. It's a Monarch with a promotional name. 3-9x40 with the bullet drop compensator.

I had a Monarch which went away when I sold my Tikka T3 Lite. I now have the Team Primos on my 1917 and I can't tell the difference. They are the same specs and for that price, you're getting a higher quality scope than the Pro Staff. (and I have a Pro Staff on my 10/22 ;) )

Link: NIKON TEAM PRIMOS 3-9X40 RIFLESCOPE BDC MATTE 8435 - eBay (item 350372745894 end time Sep-06-10 14:44:24 PDT)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. ronl

ronl New Member

I have one of the Vortex Crossfires and the clarity is absolutely great. I have a friend who bought the Nikon Pro Staff and went through three before he got a good one. The Crossfire is a big scope, but for $100 it cannot be beat, especially considering the great warranty and customer service there. Another thing to consider, especially if you are going to shoot long distances, is the amount of travel in the scope tube. Some of the Nikons have very little. My particular Crossfire has 72.5 MOA.

7. Pab0whunt3r

Pab0whunt3r New Member

Looks like any way I do things,I should be happy.I've also been checking out the scopes you guys have recommended.I'll just find what looks best to me and see what happens.All have good reviews so the choice is just going to come down to picking one and going with it.

8. KnesekGuns

KnesekGuns New Member

The bushnell would probably be my choice if that was the budget I had to work with

9. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

LOL really we are giving him solid optics to check out and your expert advice is to go with a BSA.

They don't track for crap. If you put them on a rifle with more recoil than a 22 stinger they are going to break in a month. They are some of the dimmest scopes I have ever laid my eyes on.

Next thing you're going to say is Baraska are even better than BSA......

11. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

the proof is in the pudding. if it worked for me, why shouldnt i recomend it to someone else?

Mauser .308 caliber bolt action rifle. I built this gun for long range shooting. I bought an unused Argentina1935 action and fitted it with a Parker Hale 26 inch .308 bull barrel. It was pillar bedded and barrel free floated into a Bell and Carson composite stock. It has a Timney match trigger and is topped with a BSA mil-dot illuminated reticule 6-24 x 50mm scope. I used it to drop groundhogs at 500 yards and competed with it in several F-Class long range matches. It has zeroes for 100-1000 yards and is quite accurate. I have shot a 196 out of a possible 200 at 600 yards and a 184 out of 200 at 1000 using M852 Military Match ammo.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've got a couple Bushness 4x12 sportview scopes that work very well and are very inexpensive. Mine are on smaller rifles but my Father in law usews one on a Remington chambered in 30-06 and it's rock solid too. They are not always easy to find though.The Nikon's are really good ones as stated earlier.

13. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

I have a couple of the Prohunter 6-18X40 SF scopes and I regularly use them on a couple of centerfire rifles I shoot regularly at range. Largest caliber with scope is a 30-06 and lots of rounds fired with scope and no problems. Optics not great, but decent and have no problems with clarity/focus and etc. Check Natchez shooters supply site for Prohunters....probably lowest priced ones on internet will be found there.

Another brand of scope available from Natchez at discounted prices are the Nitrex scopes. Nitrex is owned by ATK, who also owns Weaver scope company. I ordered a Nitrex TR2 model 3-15X44 SF two days ago. The TR2s are Weavers super slams models. Nitrex has a rebate of either $50 or $100 on TR one or TR2 models. So, with rebate I bought my scope for $218....from SWFA price would have been around $320. If I'd ordered the Weaver brand super slam...price is $440. So, peruse the Nitrex models at Natchez.

Another scope to consider is the Swift Premier model 669M, a 6-18X44 AO scope. You can find it for $125 (plus about $13 shipping) at Amazon.com......careful, two other companies listed on Amazon are selling the 669M for about $216 and SWFA sells it for $264. I have two of the $125 669M Swift scopes and its a darn good scope. Swift is an American company making optics product since 1920s and they make their own glass and Premier models have a lifetime warranty. Google Swift scope and read reviews and comments about Swift scopes. You'll be hard pressed to find anything negative about their scopes.

14. safedman

safedman New Member

Take a look in Opticsplanet.com. Great deals and free shipping. I buy through them all the time

15. ZombieDefense

ZombieDefense New Member

good glass on a budget, like others have said Nikon. My personal preference is Zeiss, they are affordable now as well with the conquest line.

16. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Any opinions on Redfields? Leupold's budget line; know someone who says his is very respectable for the price. Dunno what you guys call low cost (our prices never mesh with the "exchange rate" anyway) but a basic 3x9x40 4-plex goes for about $250 here. Gotta be budget in your money...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  17. safedman

safedman New Member

Simmons

Opticsplanet.com
    Simmons
    3x9x40 or 50 less than $200. Have just purchased a Simmons Atec 4x14x50 for my Pro Hunter in 270. Cost $200 and free shipping.

My $.02

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  18. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Received my Nitrex tr2 scope a couple of weeks ago and its an impressive scope with darn good optics.

Here is a Nitrex TR1 3x9 scope you should take a look at. Nitrex TR1s are basically same scope as a Weaver Grand Slam scope. Nitrex has a $50 rebate program at present and discounted price of this particular discontinued model makes it a bargain when you can buy a $320 retail priced scope for $120 plus shipping. SWFA presently selling same scope for $240.

Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle