Need help with Kimber CDP II reassembly

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bleak23, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

I've watched some videos and put the gun back together but some things are still bothering me.

1. When the slide is put back together, should it look like this?

[​IMG]

It doesn't seem right being at an angle like that. When I took it apart, I first took the slide off. Then I removed the spring etc. But when putting it back together, do you have to first put the frame and pin on it and THEN put the spring in, or should I assemble the slide first? :confused:

2. Should the open ended end of the spring (as opposed to the closed end) go into the spring holder like this? I think this is what the manual is referring to when it says "Install the recoil spring with the open end in the recoil spring plug."

[​IMG]

Thanks and I hope this makes sense. :eek:

When I reassembled, the gun cocks back and loads a round OK. But I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet to test her.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the open end of the spring goes in the plunger.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xuzqX8opJM]YouTube - Smith & Wesson 1911: Field Strip & Reassembly[/ame]

3. jca1

jca1 New Member

put the barrel and guide rod in the slide and put the slide on the frame and insert the slide stop through the frame and barrel link. then put the bushing on and turn it out of the way and insert the plug. then turn the bushing over the plug.

4. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

OK, thanks, I got it now. I wasn't sure if I was forcing the spring down in a wrong position but now I know that this is not really possible. And I'm clear on which spring end goes where. Thanks again guys. ;)

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Somebody want to warn him on the slide release reassembly before he gets the dreaded scratch...

6. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

Yes, somebody warn me. :eek: :confused: