Need help with ID

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TheOldMan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

This is gonna be a challenge to anyone I think.. I recently purchased this double at my local gun store. the lable read: Made around/before 1899. European manufactureer for the US market.

Plenty of proof marks but no manufacturer info... Only verbage I saw was n the rib betwen the barrels that reads: FINE STEEL other than that it's a complete mystery. The hammers are mismatched but teh gun locks up tight. The wood is amazing and that is why I bought it. Paid $300 for it tax, title, ou the door. Not sure of the guage yet but appears to be 12ga.

c3shooter? GL with this one lol

Attached Files:

2. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

A few more pics Hard to make out but the second pic shows a proof mark which reads: E over DG in the circle

Attached Files:

3. Walley

Walley New Member

/

On page 567 of the 1897 Sears Roebuck catalog under our line of imported double shot guns there is one that looks a lot like yours. They call it a $10.00 dollar gun for $6.68. I am not saying that it is your gun but figure that it might a good place for you to start. These reprint catalogs have helped me identify quite a few old guns.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Great, thank you.. How or where do you get the reprint catalog?

5. Walley

Walley New Member

/

Any decent bookstore should be able to order one for you if they are still in print. They were produced by Chelsea House Publishers of New Your in the sixties and might be a little hard to find. Used bookstores are a good place to find them; that is where I got all of mine. Good luck and I will do a little more research for you.

6. Walley

Walley New Member

/

As close as I can come I believe that yours is a leFaucheux shotgun made sometime between 1850 and 1900 in Paris. Go to Help me identify this gun - Hunt Chat
    and compare that gun to yours. Also Goggle the LeFaucheux shotguns for more information.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ELG in the oval is the proofmark for the Liege Belgium proofhouse. It was common for makers to buy proofed barrels in the white, and make them into a gun. The forward lever locking system is definitely LeFaucheux system- used under license by several makers, including Bernards (makers mark FD) and Bouzier Fils (makers mark BF)

Very nice shotgun- really nice wood.

link for ya: Google Image Result for http://thumb15.shutterstock.com.edgesuite.net/display_pic_with_logo/98152/98152,1206487602,8/stock-photo-hunting-double-barrelled-gun-lefaucheux-system-lefaucheux-is-paris-gunmaker-of-century-10753780.jpg

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thank you SO much guys. Y'all never ceases to amaze me. Walley, after following your link I certainly have to agree that this shotgun is a LeFaucheux. I am going to try and take some better pictures of the proof marks to post for you all.

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

No new pictures yet but another question: Where can I find replacement Hammers for this piece? One appears to be original (left side) wile the right side is a repacement non-matching. I looked in Numrichs at the Crescent shotgun hammers which I would think would be close but they're sold out. Another option is to heat up and reshape the right to match the left.

Attached Files:

10. bamibert

bamibert New Member

First it is belgium, at least it has belgium marks of proof. Second, the niples for the percussion caps are filled with metal so it's not going to fire without new niples, I would concern about the niples more than about the hammers if I was you

11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Ummm, those aren't nipples, they're firing pins.

12. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Ummm--NO. It's not percussion. It's a breech loading shotgun. What
    you are calling "metal in the nipples" are the firing pins.

13. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Didn't I just say that?:D

14. c3shooter

Lefaucheaux style, made in Belgium. With the hammer, a smith should be able to find a stock replacement, heat and bend to shape. Considering the age, THAT gun was likely made for black powder- would not shoot it with ANYTHING. Sears catalog reprint- check with your library- if they do not have a copy, they can get one for you on interlibrary loan. Check out the 69 cent revolver. You could also buy dynamite, blasting caps, and cocaine.

15. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Yup----great minds think alike? Or you just have faster fingers!:)

16. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Nothing wrong with the stock.. I'll most likely leave it the way it is. I'm 100% on the black powder. The age of this gun precludes shooting anything else
    even though the barrels are NOT damascus. Dixie Gunworks have the hammers I'll need and then we'll try some light loads to see how she shoots after the resto has been completed.

17. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

this is the firing pin of my st-ettiene side by side shotty,same model as yours but in .16cal ,I shoot this old bird a lot and always use 50 grain's of black powder with a brenneke bullit,but I ask myself if this old lady can be used with modern 16 gauche ammo,old man be carefull in using this gun my friend
    this could be a rifle that is made by one off the hundreds of gunsmith's that where located in the LIEGE area,in that case quality is not always guaranteed
    IMHO not having a makers mark looks suspicious to me ,I would ask a gunsmith if it's still safe to shoot this gun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. c3shooter

OldMan- I was not referring to the wooden buttstock- I meant a stock (standard replacement part) HAMMER- as in heat and bend to shape.

19. powg

powg New Member

double trouble

i has to be french ....the hammers look like tongues...one stickin out ,one sticking up ...lol