Need help with ccw gun or position choice

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dizzll, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Okay so I spent today shooting 2 different glocks. 30, and 26... I have the 19 which is my primary ccw (as soon as I get the damn card)... The 19 is "ok" but not great in the concealment dept and many here have helped me realize I probably don't "need" the 26 as a t-shirt/shorts carry,but anyone bored enough to share experiences with any of these models? The 30 was so damned awesome, and I LOVE the idea of carrying a 45, but it provides no benefit in concealment over my 19. My dream gun (lol dream cuz I can't find one to shoot but it appears awesome) is a Kimber Pro Carry 2 45. Only reason I'm even having this dilemma is I have to carry my 19 at almost 6 o clock to conceal it and I can barely reach it to draw. I've tested different places with my girlfriend and she can pretty much spot it no matter where I move the holster. The gun itself does not print at all, it's the bottom of the holster bulging through my jeans on my ***. I have an MTAC IWB holster which is very comfortable and holds the weapon well... Please advise a noob. I don't want to leave my house thinking everyone knows I'm carrying...

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

I carry a Glock 30 quite a bit. I never found a holster I was comfortable with. They all seem to have the gun riding up too high against my ribcage and having it concealed properly is an issue so I don't use a holster. I carry my gun tucked on my right side, inside the waistband of the pants or shorts I'm wearing, and my shirt hanging out . The gun is heavy so I have to wear a belt when carrying this way. I have a S&W mod 37 I carry that way also.

Another reason for carrying in the waistband, is if the gun is holstered I don't have to jerk my shirt halfway to my neck to unholster, my way, the shirt comes up with the natural movement of your hand reaching to pull the gun out. A lot less noticeable to bystanders or a bad guy.

A quick note, when I lived in Mich., I most often used a Galco shoulder holster in the winter when wearing a jacket.

There are some that will say that it's dangerous or stupid to carry that way but I've been doing it that way with other handguns since 1972 when I first started carrying.

I'm not telling you to carry the way I do but If you have a mind to try at home, make sure your G-19 is unloaded then put it in your waistband while you are doing things around the house. Bend over, jerk sideways, jog in your back yard, etc. Do this over and over until you feel confident with carrying that way, or if not, you can always go back to the holster search.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Here's my advice. Forget the glocks (sell them) and Get your "dream gun" !!!

You can get a pro carry 2 for less than $800 NIB and they are plenty availiable. How much more is that than your glocks? :rolleyes:

For more on my position look here

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/kimber-pro-carry-ii-friends-23547/

at my new pro carry 2 with night sights and my first outing with it. I need to break it in more before it's my carry gun, but I am very happy with it so far!

28oz, slim for carry, and .45acp firepower, awesome trigger, and the best designed handgun ever.

Where's the problem here? :)

4. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Car, oddly the gun does fit perfectly anywhere in my waistband and is undetectable. I just don't know if I would have the confidence to go out like a gangmember lol, go- nice shooting, any further report on the ftf? Also how do people conceal OWB? Isn't it the same as open carry?

5. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

I agree with everything that he said EXCEPT....Never sell a gun unless its an absolute piece of crap. You'll only regret it.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I put said gun in holster on my hip and make sure I have something covering it such as a shirt or jacket. WALAH, concealed OWB! :D

Not open carry!

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Not true. I have sold guns to get guns I liked more even though I liked them.

It's not like everyone can keep every firearm they will ever own,always and forever. :rolleyes:

You decide what you like and make decisions, then never look back.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I respectfully disagree! Tucked in the waistband is extremely unsafe in my opinion. Too much could go wrong. When carrying you want a holstered and secure firearm. With the right holster there is less chance of getting snagged and no problem drawing.

9. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Sir.. Your gunsafe is obviously too small. :D

10. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

As far as the carry situation, I have had my permit now for almost 2 years After leaving Cal. 4 yrs. ago.
    At first, I thought everybody could see it. I carry a little Taurus PT111 Pro in an Uncle Mike's hip holster. Baggy t-shirts in the summer. Light jackets cover in spring. Winter time, you can hide it anywhere..
    Dont freak out and keep adjusting the holster or belt. Dont draw attention to that area. And just relax !! If the State and Govt. say you can carry, then dammit. Take advantage of it ! Shows your an upstanding citizen.

Oh. And congrats. The day you get that permit will be a day you wont forget. So. Get that holster situation figured out.

And.. Just relax..

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Found one locally!

02/21/2010 — KIMBER 45, Pro Carry II,
    Excellent cond. $650.
    Call 501-303-8580

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

To the OP - buy looser fit pants. To carry IWB you can't wear skin tight britches and you have to basically dress around the gun...

13. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I plan to. :D

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

I carry a Glock 30, and I used to carry a Glock 23 (same size as your G19). I personally carry OWB and have no trouble concealing with an untucked, button-down shirt. If you're going to carry IWB, remember that the G30 is wider than the G19.

It's possible you are overly worried about printing. If you ask someone who knows you well and knows you are carrying, they will always be able to spot it. The average person on the street isn't going to look at you long, isn't consciously scanning you for a firearm, and doesn't know you well enough to know what you look like when you aren't carrying.

It's perfectly natural to feel like you're going to glow in the dark — and in daylight — when you first start carrying. Pretty much everybody feels that way at first. Once you get your permit and walk around armed for a little while, you'll realize that people won't notice.

Now, with all that said, you might want to take Gojubrian's advice and go after your dream gun. You have a gun now that you like and will serve you well. Depending on prices in your area, the money that you would spend on a new Glock will get you more than halfway to the dream gun you mentioned. If you save up a bit more, you can have your dream .45 in a more concealable package.

If you are going after a dream gun, read LOTS of reviews. And do your absolute best to find a way to shoot one before you buy.

15. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Thank you guys so much for your advice. I guess I am worried about being found out lol.. I have a 34" waist and I wear Loose but not baggy 38" jeans with the holster so that's not an issue... The real "problem" is my shirts. I work out hard at the gym and I'm pretty muscular so I like to wear form fitting shirts. If I wore large shirts or 2 etc, I wouldn't even use IWB. It's kinda frustrating me that my $90 holster doesn't work as well as a $10 clip lol... I am a single dude who makes decent cash for my area so I have no problem paying full pop for a Kimber, I just don't want to invest without shooting it to compare to the Glock 30...

16. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

I don't like google cuz it keeps coming up with bad reviews of the 1911. Basically the gist of it is The Kimber is an amazingly slim and accurate 1911, BUT only if you replace almost everything with custom parts... :-( What the hell? It looks awesome, best concealing 45 and accurate. Anyone have a small 1911 that can give me the real heads-up on what I'm gonna have to layout (parts or cash) to be as combat ready as possible

17. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I found the G30 a bit wide for my taste. I carry the Kahr K9 steel frame daily IWB behind the hip. It disappears and no one notices.

Recent 1911 convert that I am with a sweet little Custom II, I am saving for the Pro Carry also. Got to shoot one from a fellow range member and loved it.

I say save :)

18. MrGlock45

MrGlock45 New Member

I don't have a G19, but I do own 3 G30SF's. They are extremely accurate, soft shooting even with Fed HST 230gr +P's. I use a Smart Carry to carry 2 of them at a time. I've also used a belly band to conceal carry under a loose shirt, so you might want to look into that as a method.
    Love my G30's, so I'm sure you would too. Not much more comforting than 11rounds of big fat 45ACP's.
    Good luck and always stay safe. :cool:

19. WDB

WDB New Member

I expect I'm twice your age, 6'-2" 210# in good shape. If you want to carry your going to have give up your vainity, the tight shirt might work to draw in the ladies? but it won't cover a firearm. I've carried for 15 years and dress well enough to get the attention but not print my firearm. I've never seen a good $10 holster for consealed carry, if there was I would own it in a heartbeat. If you have one that works please share the info!

Take some time at a range that rents I bet you can find a few that rents Kimbers and Glocks then make your choice.

I don't own either, I carry a S&W M&P 45 and it fits my cloths well in a quality holster. If I had to choose between a Kimber or a Glock it would be an easy choice, The Kimber is by far a better firearm IMHO.

Good luck, let us know what you buy and how you carry it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  20. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Well I tried the belly band deal and it actually works really well.. Thing is, damn thing makes me sweat within 5 min lol...