need help with 1/3 co-witness (AR-15)

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Nathantc, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

ok here is the thing, i love iron sights, they never fail and dont need batteries but at night they suck bad, so i use a red-dot sight with a nice crisp and small 4moa dot, i do not want to change my optic, the Ultra-Dot sight is about $200 and super clear with a very clean dot

right now i have the 1/3 co-witness and i love it
    problem is i hate my set up, i want a one piece quick detach mount that is lighter than what i have but at the same height. The 1" tube is whats making this difficult. I do not like the riser and rings combo to be honest, i want a mount that is just as high, preferably quick detach, that will hold my optic right where it is now

maybe some one here will know of something that would work

F.Y.I.
    Hog and varmint hunting at night here in TX is legal, hence why i like the set up i use, that and it is a great self defense set up

[​IMG]

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Have you thought of replacing the carry handle with a flip up rear and moving the optic to the receiver?

3. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

yes i did,, but i would like to keep the carry handle for two reasons,, its damn convenient for guys like me who don't like slings and i noticed the red-dot seems to be ezer to aim both eyes open when in a scout position

i may just have to go with another optic all together but i really really like this one,,, shame

4. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

I use a smith an wesson full rear sight without the handle an i run an aimpoint pro. Of course i have a tac sling though. The aimpoint comes with the rite riser on a quick detach built in. I also think utg makes the same rear sight. The aimpoint is a bit on the higher price market, but the r badass

5. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

found my solution

i will ditch the carry handle, save some weight, and get a 2moa dot with 1/3 cowitness all in one uncluttered move and still have excellent battery life

im saving up for the C-MORE CTAC with aluminum body,, not the polymer one

like this

[​IMG]

so i will just stick with my ugly set up that i pieced together with spare crap i had around here for a lil longer

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

7. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

U could always mount on top of the a2 handle

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I sure don't think Stoner designed the carry handle with optics in mind. No coincidence that as more optics became available handles started disappearing.

I sure like the classic look of a carry handle but IMHO you start slapping a bunch if extras on those it looks like Jed Clampett's truck.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Is that the RRA cut carry handle? Not a bad choice plus still let's you RIBZ/reindex the A2 sight if you want some fun. Google RIBZ for Molon's article if you're really in to irons!

10. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i was told it was a colt take off,, looking at the side there is a square, like found on a new colt upper, instead of the keyhole like that is on my upper,, any way im not sure but it got a better finish than my RGUNS upper

and i to like the looks as well as the function with the carry handle which is why my last build was a standard A2 upper
    i just want a good dot to co-witness for night time use, but if i end up ditching the carry handle im going with the CMORE Tac