Need help troubleshooting

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigSe63xy, Nov 24, 2010.

1. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Alright I have a problem with the AR-15 I built so I'm going to try to describe the problem and hopefully someone can help me out.

I got the headspace checked and it was fine so I took it home and fired it. It fired fine, the bolt came about 3/4 of the way back but right before it ejected the shell it got stuck in that position. I hit the forward assist and the empty cartridge went back into the chamber and got stuck. I tried pulling the charging handle but the bolt only moved about half an inch. I had to take the upper off and then put my cleaning rod down my barrel and into the empty cartridge and then tap it with a hammer to get it dislodged. Then I put it back together, put a full magazine in it, chambered a few rounds and ejected them. No problems. It functioned just like it was supposed to. The only problems I have is with a fired cartridge. Does anyone know what's wrong? Any help will be very appreciated.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Are you using brass or steel cased ammo? How many rounds fired before the problem started? Have you used steel cased ammo with any polymer coating and switched to brass without a thorough chamber cleaning? Have you checked the extractor for damage?

Sorry about all the questions but they may be helpful for others that come along...a picture of the fired cartridge, the BCG and the bolt itself would be helpful too.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Are you running the correct buffer and spring for the installed stock?

4. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

i have encountered this problem myself it was wolf steel ammo and for some reason it didnt want to come out i finally got tired and just pulled the chargeing handl back as hard as i could the chamber pop opened and hte empty round flew thats the only thing i can think of if you cycled the gun by hand witch im sure you did and it functioned right then it is probably your ammo but i cant say for sure there are many people on this website that know alot more about these sort of things than i do i would suggest trying every option they tell you befor decideing to heeman the charging handle

5. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I used some russian steel cased ammo but I also used some brass cased ammo, not sure what brand. I've never heard of polymer coated ammo so I don't think I did that. The extractor looks fine, as does the spent case. I'll try to get some pictures up sometime tonight. Thanks for all the help!

I'm using the buffer and spring that came with the stock.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

steel cased ammo is generally polymer coated. do not mix brass and steel cased ammo. clean the chamber thoroughly before switching between them. personally i dont shoot any steelcased ammo through my ar's. tried it once and had stuck case issues.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Big,

Some of the manufacturers of the steel cased ammunition in the past have coated the casings with a varnish that when the rifle is fired heats up then cools and sticks to the chamber. It is a bear to get out but must be cleaned out. And also the charging handle gets harder and harder to pull to get the bolt open. That is usually a sign. You mentioned you head spaced the rifle. I am assuming this was prior to all of your problems. A polymer coated bullet can eventually cause a problem in this area also. I know ammo is at a premium. But you wouldn't run 47 octane gas in a 944 Turbo Porsche either. There is some good quality military surplus ammunition out there usually found a a gun show for example but find a reputable dealer!

8. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Yeah but the first round fired was brass cased and it did the same thing. Also it comes out of the chamber after it's fired, so it's not actually stuck in there until I push the forward assist.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. Sniper03

BIG,

There are other things that can cause this. Is it a kit gun? Have you tried a bolt carrier out of another AR. Using your same bolt regarding head space. Could be a tolerance problem. Also what stock spring and or screw if a fixed stock? Hard to analyze by forum. If I can help please PM me.

10. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Thanks for your help guys. I pretty much have it working. I lubed the hell out if last night and I was able to shoot half a mag today with no problems but then the bolt got stuck all the way to the rear. But when that happened I realized I didn't lube the buffer tube so I took it back home and lubed it up really well and I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Fired empties will stick in the chamber when re-chambered. That is normal.

Not ejecting is your problem.

If the rifle is new (sounds like?) lube the BCG really well. Run it wet.

You may have a simple "break in" to deal with, or you may have a "gas flow" problem. Might be something rubbing, too? You should not need to lube the buffer spring, they are typically run dry.

How does it feel when you slowly hand cycle the action?

12. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Feels fine when I cycle it by hand. I got everything lubed up really well now. I'm pretty sure it just needs to be broken in now. It's doing a LOT better than it was. I was only able to fire one round before it would stop working the other day, but now I'm able to fire half a mag. I'm going back out again tomorrow and hopefully it will work even better.

13. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

I would take my rifle and some of my ammo to a competent gunsmith and have him check the tolerances of the barrel and chamber area. I'm betting that your rifle needs to be polished and throated because the tolerances in those area are too tight. Tight tolerances will slow down ejection and cause a rifle to jam part way back.

Also have the smith test the recoil springs to make sure that they have the right amount of force for your rifle. Weak recoil springs can also slow down the ejection process too. It will probably be one of these two items if not both.

14. Sniper03

Big,

Did you receive my contact number. There is no way the rifle should not be functioning just because of lube!
    I had sent you a PM but never heard back from you my brother. You definitely have a problem with the rifle.

15. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I put 60 rounds through it this afternoon without a single problem. I think I just needed to get it broken in. Again, thanks for all your help. I know I can always turn here if I have a problem.