Need Help - Sling studs in laminate

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by PABUCK, Oct 31, 2013.

1. PABUCK

PABUCK New Member

I got a Browning BLR 7mm-08 stainless takedown rifle with a Laminate stock. The gun did not come with sling studs in it. Do I need to take this to a gun smith to have installed or is this something I can do on my own?

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

How good are you in woodworking?
    After careful measurement on placement, I would bore the hole for the stud using an aluminum (not plastic) wallboard type screwjacket to secure the screw SOLIDLY into the laminate.
    If you are more comfortable with your gunsmith, let him do it for you.

3. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

They will need to be aligned to the centerline of the rifle. There are many different styles of studs. Ones with wood screws on the end, ones with machine screws on the end that screw into a slightly larger base that is glued into the stock. There are some that use small push button with ball bearings as well as others.

I myself would take it to a smith and have them do it. Just to make sure it is done right. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/swivel-parts/index.htm?f_a=1

4. PABUCK

PABUCK New Member

Ok, thanks for the advice!!! Made the 30 minute trip to drop the gun off at the gun smith. For $35 it wasn't worth me screwing up a $1300 beauty!!!

5. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Excellent decision!

6. smarquez

smarquez New Member

Good call, pictures when it's done. I did it my self on my Win. 94 20 years ago.