need help restoring my grandpa Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by loctite44144, Jan 4, 2013.

1. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Just got it for Christmas I can't find out when it was made and will the newer parts will work in it. I tryed to look up the s# but can't find anything on it. So if anyone can I would be deeply appropriate

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

We need pics.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, since the Mossberg company is alive and well, best route will be to contact their customer service dept through their website.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

VERY COOL! Mine is so old that the factory barrel came in "modified choke" with no option to change that other than by changing the barrel (no screw-in chokes).

pics pics pics pics pics!

http://www.mossberg.com/contact

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

500's haven't really changed in the 52 some years they've been around. Most parts should still work. Like what everyone else said though, we need pics. TBH you shouldn't have to replace too many parts. Maybe just a good refinish of the bluing and wood.

6. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Will do I will get some pics up tonight just remember thay are before pic and thank for the info and I will keep posting pics as the restoration is going on

7. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Here you all go the before

Attached Files:

8. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Choke tubes, for the most part, have only been around since the 80s. Mossberg has been around well before that.

9. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Sorry sir I didn't understand

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I think he may have been responding to my post about my 500 being so old that the barrels were made to be one "choke" (modified, cylinder bore, full, etc.). Your barrel appears to be a slug barrel in cylinder bore since it has rifle-type sights and is marked "cylinder bore". The scope mount also makes me think this may have been used as a deer-hunting gun in an area that doesn't allow rifles for deer or in an area with such thick brush as to make a shotgun slug a preferred deer projectile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(firearms) Wiki's choke info.

That is a nice-looking Mossy. :) It doesn't look like it needs much restoration. Have you fed any shells through it (pumped, not fired)?

The coolest thing about the Mossy's to me is the ease of barrel change; twist off that big cap on the end of the magazine tube and the barrel can be removed from the rest of the receiver with a gentle twist. You could get another barrel for bird hunting, modified choke or a shorter barrel for home defensive use.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  12. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

The reason why I want to restore it is the way it looks now is not how I remember it my grandfather you should take me out shooting 1 of my uncles head is rifle for a while and I thought it disappeared

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just some food for thought. It is your shotgun, and therefore, yours to do with as you please. That being said, I have to agree with Axxe. My grandfather bought an 870 wingmaster back in the 60s. While at the Western Autp in Westfield NY, he spotted a small scratch in the left side of the stock. He talked the salesman down by $65 due to a scratch about as long as the nail on my pinky finger. It is now with one of my uncles, who brings it to deer camp every year. That same scratch is still in the stock. He had it partially refinished in 1998, but he told the smith to leave that one alone.I always enjoy seiing that gun at camp, and it is an honor to have it still in the woods, carried by a member of the Fox family, still keeping the family fed.

Before you refinish your grandad's old Mossberg, find out if there is a family story on any of it's "character marks" that would make it worth keeping around. Some of these flaws on my guns have a name to go with them, or a memory associated with them. This could be true of some of the ones on your grandad's gun.

14. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Found out a little more about my 500 I talked to the Mossberg historical Association they told me that my gun what is made in the fall of 76 which is cool that is year I was born it was sold through true value hardware

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The stock can be restored with Old English scratch remover. Use Old English much like linseed oil. Give it a coat every week or so until the desired results are achieved. My guns get beat up every hunting season. Judicious use of Old English scratch remover has preserved the stocks to like new condition.

In fact, the stock looks better than new. You can see the character of the wood grain much better than when the guns were new.

There has always been a way to repair scratches on the metal parts. Over the years I have tried them all. The blend has left the metal in good condition.

I acquired this Mossberg 500 in the early 1990's. It is around 20 years old. I don't know the exact date I acquired the gun. They say the proof is in the pudding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

17. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

I have thinking about taking all of the original parts off and putting them a way and going with a 18.5 barrel and a black sliding stock and fore arm and maybe a new mag tube

18. orangello

orangello New Member

That's similar to what i did to my old Mossy, but i bought mine in a Pawn n Gun store in college, VERY used. I'm not sure i would have done the same to a handed-down family gun. Of course, you would basically end up using the original receiver and internals only. I did go with a pistol grip equipped full stock, though; 12 guage is a handful with just a pistol grip.

19. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Pistol grips on shotguns are a handful, , I found putting a pistol fore grip distributes recoil pretty well between hands, so much that my 10 yr old son can shoot my 12g with no problems.

Attached Files:

20. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Its yours and of course you can do with it what you want,, but,, being a gun with sentimental value above all else, I would think about this, if you want a sawed off with synthetic stocks, foregrip, mag ext....... sounds like you want a different gun all together. Maybe clean that one up,, shoot it while you get the money for the modern style shotty you want,, hell if you wanted something to strip and customize just do like orange and buy a cheap pawnshop gun and pick and pull using the receiver. I just remember getting rid,selling, or messing up a lot of things I wish I owned today still.