Need help picking a scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Taylor Self, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Taylor Self

Taylor Self New Member

I am building a 6.5 Grendel ar with a 18 inch barrel for deer hunting. All my shots will be under 200 yards. I will also take the rifle to the range occasionally to shoot, but nothing over 400 yards. I have decided on a 2-7 power scope but need help picking which brand to go with. The choices are; burris fullfield E1, leupold vx freedom, sig sauer whiskey 3, vortex crossfire II, or the Nikon p3. Any input from members who have experience with any of these would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone knows of any other 2-7 power scopes in the $200 range that I'm overlooking.

2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I have the vortex crossfire 2 red dot optic. Its clarity etc is on par with much more expensive red dots

Honestly I dont think you could go wrong with vortex scope. Their warreny is lifetime even if the scope is damaged. Quality is great too.

I've banged my vortex around pretty good and its held its zero, battery life is great also 55 thousand hours on setting 6

If I hunt next season I'll just put a flip over 3x magnifier behind it.

3. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

My go-to scope lately has been the Nikon M-223 2-8 @ $165. Fwiw, I own a Crossfire II and a Leupold VX Freedom. The reason I keep choosing the Nikon over the others is the turrets/clicks/adjustments. $40-$50 less than the Leupold is a plus as well for me. https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-m-2...d-action-turret-11-5-46-2-fov-4-er-matte.html

Edit to add: if you're a "set it and forget it" scope guy, the Leupold would be my first choice, if for nothing but resale value. It's a slim, sleek profile, and is "good enough".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Crossfire 2.
    Better warranty than any of the others.
    Durable. Optic quality is great.

If you drop and bust Vortex will replace it no questions asked.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

6. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Well-Known Member Sponsor

Gatoragn likes this.
  7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am not familiar with Burris since I do not or ever have owned one.
    But either a Nikon or a Vortex you can't go wrong. I know for a fact that Vortex has some of the best Customer Service of any Company going!
    And you can't beat a lifetime warranty!
    I have a 3.5X10 Leupold on my 6.5 Grendel 18" it works exceptionally well for close and longer ranges.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Ghost1958 likes this.
  8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Have a look at the Redfields, they are made by Leupold and I have sold and installed many of them and had no complaints. :)

Shopfox likes this.
  9. Sniper03

Jim
    I have a question. I owned a few good Redfields in the past that the adjustments were friction not clicks. I assume the new ones made by Leupold have Clicks? That was the only thing I did not like about them.

10. Shopfox

Same experience with Redfield.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Redfield Revolution line is made in the USA.

Redfield Freedom is imported from China.

12. Sniper03

I would for sure not be buying a Redfield Freedom! ;)
    In the future I will be buying all American if there is anything available.

SRK97 likes this.
  13. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Had a Vortex CrossFire II in a much-longer range variable scope, a decade ago. Even though it was a 50mm lens, it began to get fuzzy at ~200yds or so. Not very bad, but definitely nowhere near as razor-sharp as, say, the "lowly" Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm.

If going out to (or past) 200yds, I'd suggest something with as much light-gathering ability and optical clarity as you can find. I wouldn't put the CrossFire scopes into that category, unless Vortex has seriously corrected that old issue in the CrossFire line. Nice scope, for what it is; but it's just not in the same category of clarity as many other scopes.

I've been impressed with some of the Burris Elite scopes, from a few years back. In the ~ "2-7x" range, there's the Burris FullField II 3-9x40mm. Very solid, decent clarity, and with simple but durable controls; about ~$200. If set on 2-7 and comfortable with a 35mm lens, there's the Burris FullField E1 2-7x35mm. Haven't used either of these, but if they're anything like typical Burris, then either should serve you well.

Can't speak to any of the others you mentioned.

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Revolution are the ones I used and I do not recall if they were click adj or not. I will check the next time I open the safe.

15. Sniper03

G66
    I believe a decade ago Vortex was certainly in their infancy.
    Vortex Optics is a DBA of Sheltered Wings, Inc., which was incorporated in the State of Wisconsin in 1989. Sheltered Wings, Inc. DBA Vortex Optics began in 2002.
    Because all I have seen of Vortex as of late are very good scopes. But as I stated I have never owned a Burris. For the money I do like Nikon Scopes a lot. I have a few of them including other brands like Vortex, Zeiss, Leupold, Valdada, and an inexpensive Simmons on my 17 HMR. It has been a good scope for the money. I am a fan of the 30mm Tube and 50mm Objectives.

16. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

TS, That 2-7 power is fine for hunting at 200 or less.
    But personally, I would want more than 7 power at 400 yards when shooting at the range.

Hunting, You expecting some running shot or something?

Sniper03 likes this.
  17. Sniper03

As far as the Power on the low end anything 4X or under is fine for close targets. In the day I hunted Rabbits with a Bushnell Banner 4X Fixed Power Scope on my Marlin 39-A 22 cal. Lever Action Rifle. No problem even when running most times!
    So today, I prefer something in the neighborhood of 3.5X to 10X for hunting and in Texas. As Ray stated, for longer ranges a 10X or a little more powerful is best. Especially hunting critters like Prairie Dogs out at a distance.
    And the more light gathering the scope is the better!
    IMO For the price and even possible future versatility. I would recommend a
    3X-9X or 4X12 for your application. The 6.5 Grendel is very capable of shooting long range targets up to 1000 yards. Some of the guys from the former Saber Defence use to use them to compete in some long range matches. The ballistics on the 6.5 Grendel is great.
    And you might get the bug someday in the future to venture out!:)

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Burris and Leupold are USA. Vortex is China. Nikon and Weaver are going out of the scope business. Good buys right now on Natchez but be aware of possible future problems. Bushnells are mostly Korea or Philippines. The Burris Droptine scopes look pretty good. Leupold is lighter and the warranties are very good. Find a used Leupold and send it in to get refurbished.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-2-7-35mm-slugun-riflescope.html
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/redfie...reticle.html?_iv_code=RL-RS-REVO-2-7x33-67085
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-freedom-2-7x33-1-inch-riflescopes.html

19. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Figured as much. Lots of people seem to think the contemporary Vortex offerings are fairly good. I haven't scratched them off the list, but I did note that a ~2009 vintage CrossFire scope (my only one, BTW) just didn't have razor-sharp optical clarity past a couple hundred yards. Was fine out to 300yds or so, more or less, but it definitely didn't have the clarity I'd expect. Loved the scope, otherwise. Under 150yds, it was about the best-value scope I have ever used. Accurate, solid controls, easy to use, fairly light in weight.

So am I. I've had "scout" copes with 28mm objective lens, and a 30mm tube with 50mm+ objective gets hard to not like, once experiencing a good example.

Would love to have a few U.S. Optics in the stable, myself, possibly with a Night Force or two. Yeah. That'd work.

20. Shopfox