need help on pricing a 1947-1959 mossberg!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by shaung, Nov 16, 2010.

1. shaung

shaung New Member

can anyone help me price my 1947-1959 mossberg&son,inc. 20ga bolt action 4 shot shotgun model# 185D, any insite into the value would be greatly appreciated, it's in ok shape the butt is cracked but has been glued. my grandpa was the orig. owner, I'm just lookin' to know anything I can about it...........thanx!

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Anywhere from $50.00 to $150.00 according to the Blue Book of Firearms.

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

That was my first shotgun, except in 16 gauge. Unfortunately they haven't become collector's items...

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The bolt action Mossy shotguns were intended to be shooters- not collected. They were the guns of the working stiff- the farmer, mechanic, storekeeper- and first shotgun for many a youngster. They are durable reliable, and not high dollar. I have a few in 12 and 20, and think the most I paid was $85 for one in excellent shape. The 410s go for a smidge more.

Numrich is sold out of stocks for these- Havlinsales.com (Vic Havlin, Mr. Mossberg, and one hell of a nice guy) does have NEW walnut stocks- unfortunately for about the worth of your shotgun- $85 plus shipping.

As your grandad's gun- it is priceless. I have my grandad's H&R 410 that he gave my Mom- to give to her first son.

5. sert01

sert01 New Member

old mossberg boltaction.

Havlin's also has a synthetic stock for the 395 series boltaction shotgun. It's around $75. I plan on ordering one for a 395ka that I cut the C-lect choke off, shortened the barrel to 23.5 " and tapped for a scope. Haven't patterned it yet but am anxious to. Shotgunworld.com might be able to help with info on the year your gun was made. Sert01