Need help on choosing my first ar-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by monkeytalks, Jul 15, 2012.

1. monkeytalks

monkeytalks New Member

Going to buy my first ar-15 soon,just not sure what's best for the money.

2. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

What do you want to do with it? How much have you budgeted for the rifle not including accessories?

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Your 1st post.. went straight to the question eh? At least some introduction, like "Hi guys.."?
    Anyway read the AR15 sticky guide by AgentTikki.. it might help you a lil bit.

4. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

Why you talking to Monkey's they don't talk.

5. monkeytalks

monkeytalks New Member

Don't wanna spend too much,maybe around the $1000 range.just something for the range and also for home protection.

6. monkeytalks

monkeytalks New Member

Lol! this monkey does.

7. monkeytalks

monkeytalks New Member

Intro?ok,just a simple guy that's still learning more and more about firearms.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

1000 puts you in the price range of colt bcm psa rra.

10. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I'm with Jon on this on. $1000 could get you a nice home defense rifle. Check out Spikes Tactical, Bravo Company, Palmetto State, Colt, and Rock River Arms. Any one of those will be money well spent. You might want to nail down exactly what you want, because finding the "perfect" AR can be a daunting task in todays market. In other words, figure out what features you want. Do you want a free-float rail or M4 style handgaurds? Do you want to mount a scope or use open sights with a red dot? Do you want a mid-length or carbine gas system?

11. monkeytalks

monkeytalks New Member

I have heard those are great ar-15s but what really got my attention lately is the colt ar-15 6920,have you heard much bout it?

12. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

The Colt 6920 would be a great first AR. Its very reliable M4 mil-spec carbine that would suit your needs or just start the BRD. (Black Rifle Disease )

13. monkeytalks

monkeytalks New Member

Thanks Rhino,would you suggest this is the best AR-15 around the $1,000 range?

14. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

Yes Colt has a proven track record for Top of the line carbines. They started it all.

15. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

A $1000 is what I budgeted myself as well, I'm looking at a smith & Wesson m&p15 sport, bare bones about $740 leaving some money for add Ons also the sig m400 under a grand with magpul accessories all ready on.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

My advice get the best ar15 you can. Shoot it a while asis THEN accessorize. After you have some rounds downrange you will know better what you want.

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Not a fan of the sig m400. The Colt is a great option. What is the forum's consensus on Stag or Rock River? I thought personally, you get a good value with them, especially Stag, like a Stag 3.
    Does anyone want to opine?

18. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

Agreed, I know what I want and how I like it, I use mine daily for the last 13 years it took me awhile to know buttstock position for what use and where to put my pistol grip in relationship to my tac light.

You find cheap parts mix and match as you please.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you want the carbine gas length and M4 profile it's hard to beat. Look at the LW 6720, too. Myself, I prefer midlength gas so would choose BCM over Colt. For you it all depends on your requirements really, not ours.