Need help on Browning T bolt 22

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by blackcote, May 17, 2010.

1. blackcote

blackcote New Member

I'm in the process of finishing the gun. In order to process it I must take the gun apart. It has a front sight that has a shroud surrounding it that only the blade of the front sight sticks through the top. There is no pins to punch out. I called Browning and they couldn't tell me how it comes off. They gave me 2 numbers to call but neither one of them could help. Is there anyone that can tell me how to remove the front sight?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Can you get a picture?

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

There should be grooves and slide it out of the groove if I remember correctly.

4. danf_fl

That is what I was thinking. I was asking for a pic to be sure. If it is, then it should be easy to remove.

5. blackcote

blackcote New Member

I'll try to get the pic on tommorrow

6. blackcote

blackcote New Member

7. danf_fl

I could be wrong, but I believe that was silver-soldered on. Removal is not recommended, nor is application of heat.

8. blackcote

blackcote New Member

It definitely isn't silver soldered. If i hold the blade of the front sight it moves both pcs. back and forth. The shroud around the front sight is plastic

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. stalkingbear

The plastic ramp looks like it was originally glued on then. Be VERY careful when removing it as there's not likely to be replacements available. Do you HAVE to remove it?

10. blackcote

blackcote New Member

If I don't remove it when I place it in the bluing salts it will disappear. What part do you think is glued fast?

11. blackcote

blackcote New Member

If the plastic was glued fast to the metal sight I should be able to drive the whole arrangement out of the dovetail on the gun

12. stalkingbear

It's dang hard for me to tell from the pic how it's attached.

13. blackcote

blackcote New Member

Well I finally got it apart.I took a chance and drove the sight to one side to remove the front sight and it worked. The plastic shroud is actually snapped in place over the metal sight. I drove the metal blade straight out from the top after it was remove. The dovetail fit is real loose and the plastic shroud snapped in place keeps it stationary, since that piece has a radius on the bottom to match the barrel. Thanks for all the help

14. danf_fl

Thanks for the followup.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Sight un seen

If you have to remove the site, Try this. Place the barrel in room temp. water just up till the plastic site, then hit the plastic lightly with steam to see if the glue will release, don't melt the plastic. The site may install from the bottom of the plastic in a step to prevent it from being removed.