Featured Need help identifying stock on a Ruger M77

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 67stingray, Nov 12, 2017.

1. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I purchased this M77 in .300 Win. Mag and it has a slanted forearm end on it. It was made in 1988 which was the second series of the original tang safety models which was before the Mark II models. It has a really nice piece of wood on it similar to the early No. 1s and all the checkering, grip cap and other items seem to be correct but the slanted forearm end has me perplexed. Never seen anything like it on a Ruger, any help would be appreciated. Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag. #1.jpg Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag. #4.jpg

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

looking at both of mine, neither have a fore-end like that. both of mine manufactured during the 1970's, both have typical rounded fore-ends. i have never seen one on a Ruger rifle that i can recall.

what i'm wondering, or guessing, is maybe someone modified the fore-end for some reason. and the stock on your's looks like a factory stock. the checkering on yours is identical to both of mine. it's very odd indeed.

67stingray likes this.

3. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Thanks for the reply Dallas, the cut forearm is one of the thoughts I had. I know these were offered with 22" and 24" barrels, mine has a 24" and I don't have another one to compare it to. Could you measure yours from the end of the forearm to the muzzle end of the barrel? Mine measures 13 1/4"s.
    Thanks

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

the one i have with a 24" barrel measures 12 and 3/4" from the end of the fore-end to the muzzle. the one with the 22" barrel measures 10 and 7/8".

i think it's quite possible someone has cut the fore-end on yours given the difference in the measurements. why is odd though.

67stingray likes this.
  5. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Thanks, yeah that looks like what might have happened, the only angled cut on forearms I've seen were Weatherbys but they have a another piece of a different kind of wood on them. It doesn't bother me it's done that way - gives it character. It also has a better piece of wood used on it then I've seen on other M77s.

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Dallas53

my thinking as well. it looks like someone did a very good job if it was done like that on purpose. and yes, the wood is very attractive. mine has stain on it that gives it a reddish color, which i have always liked. i wonder if someone maybe modified the fore-end and maybe refinished the stock at some point in the past.

67stingray likes this.
  7. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Yeah that appears to be what was done because the job is done so well that you would be able to notice a partial stain. I just glad whoever did it knew what they were doing.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone cut it longer? :confused:

67stingray and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Dallas53

do your math over Mr. McCool! if you cut the fore-end shorter, the barrel length from the fore-end to the muzzle gets longer. :)

67stingray and MisterMcCool like this.
  10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Don’t mind me. I’m sober tonight.

67stingray, RKB and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Dallas53

then there is no way i would trust you with measuring tape, unless you're drunk! :p

67stingray and MisterMcCool like this.