Need help Identifying an old 12 gauge single shot

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kfox75, Dec 2, 2013.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

My uncle and i are trying to identify an old single shot 12 gauge shotgun that was handed down in the family. We have only found the following markings:

on the barrel: Choke Bored.

On the receiver: The White Powder Wonder.

Thanks in advance. Some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I found this online.

"The white powder wonder shotgun was manufactured by Holland and Homeland of London, which is the only gun maker in the United Kingdom that retains their royal seal. The white powder shotgun was designed to be used mainly for hunting waterfowl, but it could be fitted with slug ammunition for taking down slightly larger game such as a deer, or hyena. This particular shotgun was made in 10, 12, and 20gauge."

Also gunbroker has a couple for $50-$100

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks Mccool. I'll pass this on to my uncle in the morning.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The White Powder Wonder: Was a trade name ! Shotguns made for the Sears, Roebuck and Company of Chicago. The White Powder Wonder, was made by 4 companies for Sears and Roebuck. Crescent Fire Arms Co., W.H. Davenport Arms, Meriden Fire Arms Co., and Stevens Arms & Tool Company.

Who ever put that answer on Ask.com was wrong, there is no such Co. as Holland & Homeland, they probably meant to say H&H/Holland & Holland of London, which is not true. The White Powder Wonder was made right here in the US !................

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Those lying bastards. :mad:
    I thought they couldn't put anything on the Internet that isn't true. :mad:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. dimos

dimos New Member

If it was H&H it would probably be $50k - $100k... Not $50-$100 :)

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is highly unlikely that H&H would ever build budget priced "Barn" guns for Sears. :rolleyes:

8. twoolddogs

twoolddogs New Member

Kfox75: Your White Powder Wonder, as indicated above a Sears trade name gun, was made by W. H. Davenport Fire Arms Company using Davenport's patented (Patent issued August 14, 1900) take down key and made in the period 1900-July, 1901.

Or it would have been made by Hopkins and Allen Arms Company who purchased W. H. Davenport Fire Arms Company in July 1901 and continued the Davenport line of products (many under the Davenport name) until July, 1909 when H & A sold W.H .Davenport Fire Arms company to Crescent Fire Arms Company.