need help identifying a stevens single shot

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PocketsRN, Apr 28, 2014.

1. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

I picked up this Stevens at an auction a couple weeks ago, and I'm looking for some info on it. It needs some parts, but it's hard them when I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me what I've got here?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

About all I can gleen from the information shared is that you picked up a Stevens shotgun at an auction that is a single shot, and is missing some parts.

If you have any model numbers, dates, serials or other legend engraving information that you could share, or even some pictures, it might help you to get more info. Single shot shotguns by Stevens are pretty plentiful, and were made for a long time, so it is a pretty vague propositon from the available info. Not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to help you get better feedback.

IF you go to Numrich gun parts website, they have schematics of parts, and you might be able to search areound a bit and identify the gun and parts needed.

3. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

Yeah, I tried to upload some photos, but the website keeps sayin invalid file. As soon as I can transfer em to my computer I'll get em up. Besides the "j stevens arms &tool co" etc stamp on the left side of the receiver, the only other ID mark is "HW 496" on the inside of the foreend stock.

4. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

Numrich was the first place I went, but they had so many freakin models listed that it was just too much of a hassle. Went through about a dozen and said screw it.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That may help narrow it down a bit. Some old Stevens just said Stevens. Others said J. Stevens, and others were marked Savage, by Stevens, etc.

6. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

I think it worked this time

Attached Files:

7. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Can tell you it was made between 1886-1916 that's about it

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I'm not sure exactly which model you have, but I can narrow it down a bit. Look
    at the Model 1913, and Models 105,106, 107 and 108.

The differences between some of them isn't obvious at a glance, such as extractor
    vs. ejector.

9. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

It really is hard to distinguish them from one another. I'm leanin toward either a 105 or 1913, seeing as how it's got an extractor rather than ejector. Aside from a single old listing on one of the gun trader sites, though, I can't find anything about the 1913. Is the extractor/ejector the only difference between the 105 and 107?

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a 89 !..................

11. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

How can you tell? That looks just like the other ones too

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The firing pin retaining pin, the 100`s pin goes down through the top, its a screw.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  13. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

An 89? Could be--the pin count is right. I was looking more at that
    countoured "cheek" on the side of the receiver---but the 106 lacks
    the 3rd pin up high. I wonder if the 89 in the picture is a .410 or
    maybe 20 ga.? They are flat sided in several models---that contoured
    side only appears in the 12 ga (and maybe 16?).

14. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

I think you're right. Thanks for the help

15. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

And of course the #1 part I need is the one that seems to have disappeared from the world. Know where I can get a buttstock for it? Only place I can find one is Bob's gun shop (gun-parts.com), but their website looks pretty iffy, and their reviews are really iffy.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And YES the 12 gauge had a beefier receiver...............

17. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

Got the new barrel in today, and had a few problems. There are some noticeable differences between the two. The snap on foreend won't fit on the new barrel. And how do I get the ejector/extractor out? I can't get the pins knocked out.

Attached Files:

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And why did you get a new barrel ?...................

19. PocketsRN

PocketsRN New Member

Old one had major corrosion in the bore