Need help going to build my first AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TheHunter100, May 7, 2012.

1. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Im going to get a complete 6.5 grendel upper. The lower is going to be a dpms lower. Now i don't know if i get it stripped and buy a kit would it be cheaper? Also am I missing anything else that is need, to use the rifle.

2. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Stripped may not be cheaper but you will have it your way. Good luck

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd go with a stripped lower then put in a good LPK like Daniel Defense or Stag and get a 7075 milspec diameter receiver extension/kit/stock. Like Matt said, have it your way. It may not be cheaper but it doesn't cost much more to use better parts.

As far as needing anything else, well you didn't describe the upper or what comes with it. Got a link?

4. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

http://jtdistributing.net/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*124d48ae09a7036c295097

The 20" barrel

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

6. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Oops after you go on the site search 6.5 grendel

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Its like the NeverEndStory........ IrCoNfUSeD.:confused:

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

ok so.... I am interested in getting a really good barrel because I want sub moa accuracy out of mine. I want it to double as a mid range hunting rig for small to medium size game 200-300 max yards, maaaaybe 400. For long distance target shooting I'd like to see if I can do any good at 600-800 yards.

Do you know if their barrels are capable of sub moa accuracy? I've never heard of them before......

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Yep. You get an AR-15 lower assembly. Then you get a gun cabinet. Then you collect multiple barrels, some chrome lined, some not, in varying lengths and twist rates. Also, join a gym, because you're going to have to be strong as all get out to lug those around.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Lol noooooooooooooooooooo.

A 18" or 20" 6.5 grendel should be able to get out to 600 to 800 yards. if I wanted to go over 1k, I'd go for a 22 or 24" barrel.

I'd probably get a fluted barrel for a lighter weight option for carry. My only thing is 20" is supposedly the ideal length, but 18" would be for carry. what to do.

I'm leaning towards 20", rifle gas, jp adjustable gas block, 15" free float troy alpha, samson evo, or MI SS gen 2 handguards, Ace skeleton stock, and some sort of bipod and optic.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

So I just helped my friend put together a 20" SPR type build. Its a heavy barreled with a 15" MI SS gen 2 rail (man that this is a featherweight) and handling was not bad at all. I think I'm going to go with a 20" fluted when the time comes......

OP have you made any decisions? I'm curious which way you went....

12. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Yes i decided on the 6.8 spc upper and either a rock rivers lower or a dpms lower which ever one is cheaper. Alot of people don't know that there are actually only about 2 or 3 lower manufacturers and big name brands just get their lower and put their brand name on it, then they make the price higher.

Anyways, the thing is I haven't decided on what to add with it before its shipped.
    Can you tell me in your opinion what is a 100% needed or will make the rifle better. Click on the link to see.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/product215.html

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

More people know of that than don't. What some people fail to realize is the customer (company purchasing the part) can specify that the parts be made to their desired specifications. Attention to detail during assembly will vary from company to company as well.

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo here we go, lol.

You can get a Ranier Arms lower for $325 or a PSA lower for $299. The RA lower is a great value considering the stock it comes w/.

I'd also look into PSA for your upper as well. I'm willing to bet it's of higher quality than the one in the link you provided.

14. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'm not a expert on the 6.8 spc, but from what I understand, I question the need for a 20" barrel for 6.8 spc.

Not much is gained by going over 16", infact most people don't recommend going over 16".

Might want to look into that.... if you're hunting, a 16" would be a lot more easy to lug than a 20" right?

6.8 spc is one of those weird rounds where the shorter the barrel gets the better it performs relatively.......
    6.5 Grendel gets better as the barrel gets longer....

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  16. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Well then i guess ill just go with 16" or 18"

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member