Need help finding an upper for my AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by coronadrinker85, Aug 31, 2010.

1. coronadrinker85

coronadrinker85 New Member

hey guys, so far I have a Grizzly lower with DPMS LPK and a DPMS 6 position collapsible stock in the mail. you guys were definitely right,it was super easy putting the lower together. My question to you guys is where can I find a good flat top upper that comes with front sight for a good price? I've seen a few but am very new to AR's so I'm not sure whats good and whats crap

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

CD you've got to tell us more about what you want it for. Right now there are scores of nicely priced A3/A4 uppers with a front sight - but lots of different specs!

3. coronadrinker85

O yeah, I knew I forgot something. I'm looking for a 16" that I can use as a home protection rifle if ever need be and for some fun at the range. A removable carry handle would be a plus.

4. WDB

WDB New Member

I don't know if I would buy a flat top with a fixed A2 front sight. It reduces your options for latter mods. Half the joy of a flat top is the ability to adapt it to multi use so don't limit yourself. MHO

5. coronadrinker85

the thing is honestly I'm a cheap *** so i really cant picture myself ever investing in anything but flip up sights or a removable carry handle, but it works for me because those are the two styles I like(based solely on aesthetics)

6. coronadrinker85

the A2 front sight does work with a flip up right?

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

With the old A2 front sight base on a flat top (A2/A4) upper there might be trouble zeroing with milspec height rear sights, flip up or whatever. The front sight post will have to be unscrewed pretty far, often to the point where it's wobbly.

DPMS, Oly, Bushmaster, ArmaLite and others use the A2 FSB on their flat top uppers when they should use the taller milspec F-marked FSB. I ran in to this problem putting a used Colt carry handle on my A4 ArmaLite upper. Fortunately there's a cheap fix by installing a $6 Bushmaster 0.04" taller sight post.

The other option is buy a commercial height rear sight which aligns properly with the A2 FSB on an A3/A4 upper but I think it makes more sense bringing the front sight up to spec so you can use standard rear sights.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  8. coronadrinker85

What type of sights would you recommend if I get a flat top with no front sight? Keep in mind I would like to stay within a budget of around $100.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Really sights are such a personal thing it's hard to recommend just one. Nothing wrong with getting a fixed front sight base on an A3/A4 upper, odds are it won't get in your way even if you mount a scope. But if you get a DPMS upper or other that uses the A2 height FSB just remember you might need the taller sight post to zero with most rear sights. Not a big deal, I just added mine to an order I was getting from Bushmaster anyway and it only takes a few minutes to install.

If you want to go with a full flat top with a railed gas block that's a good way too. You could then add a flip down front sight or removable. I noticed that ArmaLite has their U15A4CB midlength upper on sale for Labor Day for $450 and that includes the charging handle, BCG, and plastic stocks. A gas block sight is all it needs. Not saying get that one but you might want to look. I have that upper and it's been great, a very flexible OR design.

Prices are good right now so you have lots of nice choices out there. Just start looking and get the specs down pat that you want before you buy.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I bought a Rock River Arms that included a Yankee Hill Machine flip-up front sight gas block. And then I bought a YHM flip-up rear sight, giving me very compatible sights and I only had to pay out the $80 for the rear. They are on a flat-top, of course.

http://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DT2001

11. coronadrinker85

chrome lined is the way to go, correct?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, normally it's worth the extra $30-40. Longer bore life, easier case extraction and easier cleaning but may be very slightly less accurate. It's not the end of the world either way but you'll be glad you paid extra for it.

Watch out because chrome-moly does not mean chrome lined. DPMS and RRA often are the former.

Why do I always say flip down instead of flip up? :D

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

So my upper is chrome-moly (which I was totally aware was not chrome-lined) upper (with some chrome-lined upper parts) might be a hair more accurate, but slightly harder to clean? Is that the deal?

Alright! Another reason to have more than 1, right?

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The chromed bore is very slick and hard so it is a little easier to clean and can go a lot more rounds between cleanings. Means more to the military in adverse conditions and not so much for the rest of us.

Yeah Chris no way to get around it - you've got to build another! :p Funny thing, too - I swore to myself I was going to build just one very flexible AR and almost succeeded. But last week I found a good deal on an ArmaLite stripped lower in town and couldn't resist. Then ordered an ArmaLite LPK and BCM milspec M4 stock kit. Should be building another lower next week! Don't really need it but it's hard to turn down the great prices on lowers lately and since it's the controlled part it's good to have it. Besides, it's fun and I'd like a lightweight M4gery maybe using a LW BCM middy upper.

I expect to marry the new ArmaLite lower to my current upper which also is ArmaLite. The current S&W lower will go to whichever upper I go for. No rush at all for the upper except that prices are pretty good now.

15. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

i just got my first lower put together last weekend. and im already thinkin about my next one because i know that as soon as i get a upper on it i will be wanting to build another bigger brother for her.

16. coronadrinker85

LOL, my thread got renamed. Thanks for all the help guys. I was so close to buying an upper today, but i think a little more homework first.

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Warning: Thread hi-jack in progress...

Quentin--what about a different caliber, then? How about 7.62x39mm? That might be my choice for a second build on an AR-15 lower. This sounds like so much gun-fun. When you get serious start a new build thread with your plans.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ok Chris, I'll do that. Will be a while (I think). :D Looking forward to building the lower and mating the two ArmaLite receivers. Was tempted to buy a complete ArmaLite lower but their stock kit is lacking and I don't want their two-stage trigger group so went with the stripped lower and their single stage LPK. With the BCM stock kit and the Daniel Defense BCG already in the upper, this will be a better ArmaLite than ArmaLite builds! (Guess I love that company since my M16 in 'Nam said ArmaLite/Colt.)

As far as uppers in another caliber, I'm not interested myself but there are lots of good choices. I have an AK and SKS in 7.62x39 and since the whole rifle (WASR-10/63) costs less than an AR upper really think that's the way to go with that caliber (and a lot of fun!) Also I've heard it can be tricky getting magazines for 7.62x39 that work well in the AR. The newer Soviet 5.45x39 is interesting since surplus is so cheap but then it's mildly corrosive so you definitely want chrome-lined and clean religiously. 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel perform very well if you want more muscle but they ain't cheap.

But I'm out of my element here, no first hand experience except with 7.62x39 in comblock guns. Maybe this also would be a good topic for another thread!

...[/Hijack off] :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  19. Rodmaker

Rodmaker New Member