Need help deciding

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tnel74, Feb 5, 2013.

1. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

I am wanting to get into some longer range (300-600) yard shooting and was looking at getting a Remington 700 one a .243. I also want to be able to deer hunt. Or should I go with a bigger caliber like a 7pm rem mag or 30-06??

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I hope you are not planning on shooting at game animals over a 600 yard range.:eek: I think a 25-06 or the screamin .257 Weatherby Mag. would be worth looking at.

I like the Big .25s here on the Western Plains. Good game rifle. Very fine long range varmint round. The Old 25-06 shoots flatter than a book keepers a$$.;)

3. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have a 700 Rem 243 that I wouldnt hesitate to use for deer hunting but past 400 yds it looses its punch. My go to Deer rifle is a 30.06 but I probably wouldn't shoot at an animal at 400 yds with it either. It is very capable of taking a deer well past 400 yards but I'm not sure I am. The 243 is a tack driver and a real nice rifle.

4. string1946

string1946 New Member

Just my opinion

I'm anything but an expert on long range shooting but if I was intending to try it I think I would go with the 300 Win. Mag. with something like 168 gr. bullet. That should deliver the mail at 600 yards and then some. I have to admit to leaning toward larger calibers.

5. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

I know that taking a deer at 400 yards would not be right and it's not good sportsmanship. I was merely talking about target shooting at 400 to 600 yards.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For 600 yard target shooting and 300 yard deer hunting the .308 or .30-06 is hard to beat.

The .243, or even better 6MM Remington is an excellent deer rifle to 300, but would, IMHO, be a little light for 600 target, especially if you live in an area with any wind.

In between calibers like .25-06, .270 etc will do the job, but do not give you the bullet weight selection of the .30-06.

Unless you are a VERY experienced rifleman, I would avoid magnums like the plague.

7. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

It has been a while since I've shot at those ranges, but when I did, my Remington 700 .308 was the right rifle for the job. I always preferred bullets over 30 caliber for longer ranges.

8. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Get a Remington 770 .270 it gets the job done even with the cheap stock scope

9. minniehill

minniehill New Member

25-06, 6.5mm, 270

All easy on the shoulder and very capable.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Not a bad suggestion this.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 770 is at best, and it's being very generous, a 300 yard hunting rifle. the smallest groups i have ever gotten out of any of the ones i have shot or the one i owned was a 1.5-2" group. the bolts bind and are sloppy, the trigger is heavy and gritty feeling and the stock is very flimsy. nothing about them is made for real accuracy. most of us refer to them as Minute Of Deer accuracy. if you needed a hunting rifle that you only planned on shooting once a year and at most maybe 20 rounds in a year and didn't want to spend and arm and a leg to buy, and weren't concerned with pinpoint accuracy, well it might suit your needs.

but given it's price point, there are much better, much more accurate and much better built rifles in the same price range. the Savage Axis, the Ruger American, the Marlin X7, ect..... then a person could always shop for a used Ruger M77 or a Remington M700 or a Weatherby Vangaurd, a Winchester M70 or many others.

12. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have seen a 770 group under 1'' but have to say that it was by far the worst rifle Ive ever shot, seen, or even heard of.

If your limit is 600yrds anything from .243 on up is capable. My personal preference is a 30-06. I reload for it because I dont think you can get the full potential from most factory loads.

Whatever you go with dont skimp on quality of firearm or optics. Learning how to reload will tighten up your groups and save you money in the long run

13. Axxe55

i have heard of a few M770's that would group under an inch at 100 yards. but they are few and far between! so i would be naive to say they can't, but do know that they are the exception rather than the rule. the platform of the M770 is just not condusive of it being accurate. it was designed and made to be a cheap entry level hunting rifle. nothing more.

14. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

When you say 2 " do you mean 300 yard shots or 100? Cause I can knock out the same hole with my 770 at 100 the bolt was sticky but after 100 rounds and cleaning a lot it is beyond perfect for me! So do you think the savage axis is a better rifle?

15. Axxe55

i meant 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards! that is not my idea of acceptable accuracy. if yours shoots well enough for you, then fine. but the rifle is cheaply made and not something i want to ever own again. i took a loss on a rifle i bought NIB and sold less than two months later, and was glad to be rid of it.

the Savage Axis is a much better rifle. smoother bolt, AccuTrigger and the classic Savage barrel nut arrangement. my biggest gripe on the Axis is the stock. it makes the rifle feel like a youth gun for me.

16. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Yeah I know I love it and it works so why change! But I debated on that and the savage for a few months and just had to go with the Remington! But you can tell it is cheaply made I agree but to each is there own! I'm not an expert by any means so I love hearing about others experiences

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Who can read an animal at 600 yds.? It matters not if it is Antelope or a Deer you can not score an animal correctly at that range. A rifle that shoots 2 minutes at 100 yds under controlled range conditions is not dependable at 600 yds?
    A 2 minute rifle can not stay under 12" at that range. Hunting scopes that have 1 minutes wires at 100 yds. cover 6" at 600 yards. The scope center point covers 12".
    So, throw a bullet that may hit inside 20" into area that is covered up by 12" of scope wire? Now is that not going to provide a humane kill?:(

18. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

It has already been established that shots at 600 yards while hunting is not good sportsmanship.