Need help deciding

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by austin125, Nov 17, 2013.

1. austin125

austin125 New Member

Right now I carry a glock 23 but I'd like to get something a little smaller to carry. Im looking at the ruger lc9, kahr cm9, xds, and possibly a single stack 9 sig saur. I've handled all of them and just don't know which I like better. I like the price of the ruger and the kahr but some of the features of the xds ad the sigs. I just want some info from people who own and or carry them everyday

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Very different triggers on those choices. Which trigger do you prefer?

3. austin125

austin125 New Member

It really doesn't matter to me, it's going to be my primary carry gun so if I ever have to use it it won't really matter too much

4. mikemc

mikemc New Member

I carry a CM9 and I absolutely love the gun. To me the trigger is smooth as butter, and the gun fits my hand really well. I'm a little guy with small hands and I shoot the CM9 with no issues. It carries really well also. By the way I have probably put about 500 rounds through it since I got it at the end of August and have not had one issue. No FTF (fire or feed), no FTE, no slide lockback issues. Functions perfectly.

Just my contribution to this thread. I could not guess what somebody else might like but, for me, the CM9 is darn near perfect.

5. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I would think if it's going to be your primary carry gun, it would matter, Alot!

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My vote for the LC9. I have had mine since last April. Some folks like to have the Trigger done, but for my purposes it's just fine. I
    ordered some new springs,..But not sure if I will put them in right away. I have re-mounted My laser Lyte on the frame...and now have 3 of the ext. 9 rd. mags as well as 5 Std. 7 rounders, 3 with pinky exts. I either carry it in one of two Pocket Holsters, Or a DeSantis D9 IWB @ 3 o'clock. Sometimes I'll carry Larger, and the LC9 becomes the BUG, Or the LC9 is the Main...and I carry a Smaller FEG 32ACP and/or 1-2 Edged Weapons...

7. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

I have an lc9 that replaced my glock 27 for summer ( had the 9mm barrel too so 26/27 ) I like the way it conceals better and usually carry that when I want to be a little more concealed. Its a great carry gun in my eyes, only complaint I have is magazine drop safety. But I will say its been 100% reliable. My dad has a xds in 9mm and I love shooting that gun too. love the front sight and the looks. Only two issues we had with that gun was first round (factory blazer) ever failed to eject but flawless after that and we shoot lots of reloads. And 2nd "issue" was sending it in to get fixed no big deal safety first.

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I only have experience with the cm9 but liked it a lot. If my pockets were deeper I would have a sig 938

9. austin125

austin125 New Member

The kahr and the ruger are what I'm between. The kahr seems to have a really stiff slide probably due to the recoil spring so I've always been Leary of the slide not cycling al the way and with the ruger I shoot left handed so the safety might be a pain unless I just kept it off

10. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I never had problems with mine, even had a flawless break in period. Probably put cost to 1500 rounds through it before I got rid of it to find an xdm.

11. ScottA

I carry a Kahr PM9; it's very similar to the CM9 with a few upgrades. The spring is stiff, but I've never had any problems with cycling. When I bought it, I went to the range and put 200 rounds through it. It does loosen up some. My recommendation would be the Kahr over the Ruger. The trigger on the Kahr is like butter.

12. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

My brother in law has the Kahr. When he first got it he could barely pull the slide back. He called Kahr and they told him to push it against the side of the table to pull it back and after shooting a few magazines it will loosen up.
    It did. But the gun is light and if you don't have a firm grip on it, it may fail to cycle properly....at least that is his and my experience. Also the Kahr I believe does not have steel slides on the frame. The resulting wear give the slide a bit of slop, which makes it easier to rack but also makes it a bit loose. His rattles. Not being a target pistol, the slop is acceptable..but I'm just making you aware of it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  13. Kennydale

Kennydale New Member

I love my SR40C. If I ever decide on a carry 9mm. I would not hesitate to go with the SR9C. I have never shot the Kahr but the trigger on the SR are very smooth and easy to tell where the reset is at.

14. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

I was between those two also, went with ruger because it was a little cheaper. The ruger does have a long trigger pull so it might not be too big of deal not being able to flip the safety on/off. Either way people swear by both guns.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

I rented a LC9 and a PM9 (I think that was it - I always forget which Kahr is which). Wasn't really impressed with either. I preferred the feel of the Kahr in my hand but it beat me up pretty bad when I shot it.

Out of what you posted, I like the Sig P938 (is that the Sig you were referred to?) the most, although I've never shot it.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Was talking to my Friend, The Sr. RSO at our range, who also happens to be one of the Two 'smiths there(and also a Fmr. Marine E7). when I asked him about "compensating" smaller Autos, he felt it wouldn't make much difference. So any of the Smaller 9's are going to Knock you around. MY wife Made some Progress tho...she wants to try larger autos now...

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well yeah but my wife's hand was actually bruised after the Kahr. I don't mind recoil, but bruising?

Anyway I'm hoping the P938 is more ergonomic when shooting.

18. ScottA

Wear gloves when practicing. It's a carry piece, not a range gun.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

So is my M&P9c. Not a pocket gun but a carry piece none-the-less. It doesn't beat either of us up.

I don't enjoy NOT shooting my guns. Any weapon I'm going to carry I will develop familiarity and mastery of said weapon. And I will maintain that proficiency. So I don't buy into the whole argument of not shooting a carry piece.

20. ScottA

I'm not advocating not practicing. You give up comfort as you reduce weight and size. The laws of physics apply and there's just no way around it. If you want to carry the smallest form factor available, then there are fixes you can use to make practicing with it more comfortable.

I'm sure the M&P9c is a great gun and probably more comfortable to shoot than my Kahr. But a double stack just is not as comfortable for me to carry.

Everything in firearms is a trade off. Otherwise, I'd carry my 1911 all the time.