Need help deciding, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BeyondTheBox, Jan 12, 2014.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Finally going to get a new EdC. I've been pocket carrying two different pieces, neither really something I enjoy or feel confident with being suitable for a SHTF situation.

- Firesrar M43, because it's just way too heavy and large to get out of pocket.
    - Beretta Jetfire, because it's just far too puny.

Still going to keep them, just repurpose.

So I'm looking at, currently, the Kahr CM9, Springfield XDs 45 & Sig P938.

Dig their size & price, I'm a pocket carry only guy, won't even entertain idea of anywhere else... Been there, tried that, failed.
    I love SA, but if a DA trigger has short enough travel, I'm willing to check it out. Looked at Taurus pt709, dislike trigger. Bersa too big. Ruger too big or worst triggers ever. 9mm or 45.

Any other recommendations welcome, of course.

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

My vote would go to the P938. I don't like XDs because of the grip safety. I'm not a huge fan of Kahr because I've had some bad experiences with those. Take that for what you will.

3. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I've got the XDs .45 and the P938. the XDs is in the hands of SA being upgraded due to the recall. As soon as I get it back, I am selling it. I do not like the trigger on the XDs vs. the one in my full size 1911. I don't find it at all comfortable to shoot. I have a P938 & P238 as my concealed carry guns. I love the way they both shoot! If I were you I would go with the P938.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm going to get my hands on an XDs again because I too deeply loathe grip safeties, though only on 1911s. That of the XDs seems much lower in profile and more natural for a grip. But thanks for pointing that out, as it may very well help me to eliminate a possible option.

I've looked at the 938 so many times for so long and have never pulled the proverbial trigger. Something about it I just don't love. Haven't really figured it out yet.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I definitely vote for the 938. Sweet little shooter, very accurate for its size.

How about a Colt New Agent?

Oh yeah, welcome back.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Gotta be honest, I don't really want a coknlok anymore. I think this is why I I've been avoiding the 938 all this time. Hmmm.

Curious what bad experiences you've had with Kahr. I know their CM line is cheap for a reason and with that small of a piece I can't imagine it standing up long to the abuse of 40s&w. I've heard about the last round lock back failing frequently, and the mag flower breaking, causing their own issues, but the fixes seem very simple.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree with Gatoragn on this one. Get the 938.

A short barreled .45 can be miserable to shoot,

and Sig VS Kahr? Think about it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sorry, double post.

Did I do that??:eek:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, after watching some more in depth utube reviews the kahr is out.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've already got and love shooting a 3.6 barrel 45, don't think that would be an issue. I have more problems with lack of manual safety, where the XDs is concerned. But I'm leaning that way right now.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Well, sir, we're not here to change my mind. We're here to help you

make up yours. Have you shot all three?

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I am sorry, but Sig Sauer vs. blah? Really!? Get the Sig already!

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is pocket carry your only option?

I would suggest you look at other ways to carry in addition to pocket carry.

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling BoB's pulling our collective chain.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Would love to shoot all three, but no way to do so in my area or any of those nearby.

And I would love to make up my mind, that's why I came here. I knew there were things I wasn't taking into consideration that you guys could help point out. Or things I was simply wrong about in my thinking.

I've had them all in my hands at a local shop, but has been probably a year since, so I'm trying my best to recollect my thoughts.

16. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Can't go wrong with the Sig! It'd fit pocket better than XDs as well.

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Oh yeah, went to shop this morning, dry fired and handled xds again, am in love. Also had p238 which I checked out, love them too, but, as stated, I don't want another coknlok, I want ready to go. The grip safety want even noticeable. Perfect fit for my hand, trigger travel isn't as great as my SA, of course, but nothing as atrocious as the typical. Now just need to check how it fits in my pocket and have to do that without a gun currently in it.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So I've decided on the XDs for sure now, however I'm thinking of maybe a second gun.
    The XDs will replace my larger 9mm, now need something for "deep conceal" for summer time...
    The Sig is a bit too big, I'm wondering if there's maybe a trigger mod that can be done on something like the CM9 to make it a decent gun for me.
    I've seen the LC9 ha a very nice trigger mod, but it's too big...

Any ideas on second piece? Maybe I should just stick with my extremely underpowered 25? Lol

Thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Firearms Talk mobile app