Need help choosing primary CCW pistol for wife.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Ironhorse, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Ironhorse

Ironhorse New Member

A brief synopsis of why this is becoming such a chore for me, that I'm turning to you, my friends, for help:

My wife is an big girl, standing 6 ft tall. Her hands are as big as mine, but proportioned differently (me - big palm, shorter fingers, her - smaller palm, longer fingers,) so that my Sig P220 (Which fits my hand like it was built just for me!) is too broad for her. She likes the way my S&W mod 14 with a 6 inch barrel handles, but due to her Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, the gun is just too barrel heavy for her, resulting in only about 12 accurate shots on the range before her wrists become too unsteady to support accurate shooting.

We're going to be taking our CCW course within the next few weeks, and I would like to get her her CCW weapon before (if not soon after) we become licensed. She's now talking about getting a .22 LR as her primary CCW gun, and this just has me gritting my teeth, thinking that if she ever really needs this gun, it may fail her, and I might be wifeless. On the other hand, I understand her thinking - they're light weight, and light recoil, which would enable her to get rounds accurately on target. But I just can't wrap my head around a .22 LR (or even a .22 magnum) being a primary CCW gun. I had thought to get her a Beretta 92 in 9mm, but I now find myself wondering if something like a snubby .38, ported to help reduce recoil, might better fit her need.

Suggestions? And thank you in advance.

2. jaygibson

jaygibson New Member

She may be better off talking with other women on this topic. If i may suggest Groupee Login in the womens self defense forum. Hope it helps.

Jay

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

She is going to have to go to a gun range and try a bunch of guns. The ideal light weight .38 SPL is the new Ruger LCR. They won't be available until later this month. I plan on adding one to my collection...

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

1911 in .38 Super or 9x19.

Honestly though, the best advice is to have her shoot everything she can rent or borrow to see what fits her best and what load she can shoot effectively.

Right now, I'm in a battle with my wife over her getting a 1911 in 9x19 over the Sig 226 that she wants.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The fact that she has carpal tunnel pretty much dictates a revolver as her wrists likely won't allow her to rack the slide on an semi-auto. let her look at the different .38s and see which fits her. Another cartridge to consider is the new .327 mag. Just because a semi-auto fits her hand, that don't mean she can load/unload/clear a malfunction,etc due to her lack of usable hand strength. That being said, I recently got my wife a S&W model 442 airweight DAO, and installed a Wolff spring kit to reduce felt trigger pull weight by 40%. it likely would be too small for your wife though but let her try all the different guns she can for fit. Naturally any gun beats a rock, and the bigger/more powerful the cartridge it is, will make IT more effective but may be too strong recoiling for your wife to be effective with it.

6. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Just got this for the little wifey... she not little

Great gun very accurate easy to rack mild recoil good looking and with the right SD ammo plenty of stopping power if placed correctly one really nice thing is the price, check out the Bersa Thunder.380
    [​IMG]

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Ironhorse - Take her to the gun store so she can find a weapon that fits her both in grip, design and caliber. Then enroll her in a good CCW course at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch where they teach good defensive pistol tactics. Make it a vacation getaway!!

8. Quis custodiet

Quis custodiet New Member

If a .22 is what she wants, get her a .22

Any gun is better than no gun.

9. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

What size?

Quis, your right. Another thought have her try a Beretta 3032 TomCat in her hands for size. Yes, I know it is a SMALL caliber, but with Hydra-shocks, it sure beats throwing rocks. With the tip-up barrel, on this little .32 cal.weapon, she won't have to worry about racking the slide. I have one of these that is always in my back pocket. I believe that Taurus also makes a look-alike for less $$:D By the way Welcome to the Forum Ironhorse+speak up

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. jaygibson

jaygibson New Member

Ironhorse,
    If you dont mind me asking, which state are you in?

Jay

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You bring up .22lr. I read American Rifleman (NRA magazine) and am always on the lookout for self defense stories in the paper. Here is what I've noticed most often:

-After shots fired nobody is actually shot and everyone just runs away
    -Even when someone is shot, they don't die
    -Just the sounds of shots fired scares the perps, or the sight of a gun

.22 should be fine in the real world...much better than no gun. I, personally, would like to END the threat with the bad guy on the ground never to get back up, but that is probably a rare ending to a critical situation.

.22lr would be fine if she is comfortable with that. But the next step up would be .380/.38spl/9mm. I would skip the .25 and .32.

12. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

It has been awhile since your post - - - what did she choose and is she still happy with it or has she now got a collection?

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

You should be careful about asking a dealer for advise on this. Several years ago I accompanied my 5'4" 115-# wife to a gun dealer to get her a handgun. The first thing the dealer did was to get a Raven .22 mouse gun outta the case. I hurt his feelings by telling her, "if you shoot somebody with that, you may piss him off". He tried to avoid me and sell her that toy. Then she told him she felt perfectly comfortable shooting my Dan Wesson .44 mag, and would like to buy one with a full set of interchangeable barrels, 4", 6", and 8". After he regained his composure, he kindly ordered the Dan Wesson for her. A lady should be given the credit for being able to use any gun she chooses to use, and not have to settle for an inadequate toy that won't protect her. Today she prefers a Para-Ordnance S14.45.

14. Chortdraw

Chortdraw New Member

I have a LCR with a Crimson Trace grip. It is a nice little 38 but it is a hand full to shoot. My wife shot 2 rounds from it and turned to me and said...:eek:
    It is also very loud. Check out the Bersa 380. Reasonably priced, trust worthy small recoil and very accurate. Sort of a 9mm on stun:D

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Charter Arms makes some very lightweight revolvers in several calibers - .22, .327 Federal, .38 SPL, .357 Magnum, .44 SPL, and lately, 9MM and .40 S&W. Charter used to have a bad reputation due to poor workmanship, but for the last few years they've been putting out a pretty good product. I have a .38 snubby and 4 .44 SPL's in various finishes and barrel lengths. They are handy to carry due to their weight, 12 oz. to 21 oz. The .44's kick a little, but they have good grips and are easy to control.

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Oh yeah, the .22's are .22LR and that oxymoron, .22 Magnum (WMR). ;)

17. bowserb

bowserb New Member

Interesting that only a few messages apart are the same questions: What to get for my husband; what to get for my wife? And the answer is the same for both. Get them what they select for themselves. BTW, many newer model handguns come with interchangeable backstraps for small or larger hands.

For a woman, try and find a woman at the gun shop. Racking a slide is like putting a motorcycle on its centerstand--it can require brute force, or only the right technique. I think Glocks may be the easiest to rack. Look up Limalife on Youtube. This is a lady who has a bunch of videos on gun carry topics, including racking a slide, and even carrying a baby while carrying a gun, spare mags, and a knife!

Be sure and check your laws on calibers for concealed carry license tests. In Texas, a .38 is the smallest you can use. Also in Texas, if you take the test with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver, but it you test with an automatic, you can carry either.

Oh yes. Twelve accurate shots is normally plenty. Average "gunfight" is less than two shots. Event the CHL test here in Texas is short boughts of five rounds each.

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Wow, a lot of interest in a very old drive by.

Attached Files:

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

3-2009 End of interest in original thread

9-2010 Somehow I ended up finding it, then resurrecting the zombie.

9-2011 gwk4667 somehow found the thread and raised the dead zombie again. It is an

undead undead zombie thread

20. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

The way I found it was by scrolling down to the bottom after reading another thread and it list similar threads I might be interested in. I assumed ( yes I know ) that the list was current - - -so much for that!