Need Help Choosing Gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Feb 20, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a gun. I was originally wanting a SKS, but the prices have gone up a bit. Cheapest one I can find is $280-$300 (with free shipping) for a old yugo, but by the time I actually have the money, that price will probably be higher. So unless I can find a pretty good deal on one, I've decided to wait on it and pick something else.
    What I'm really wanting is a gun that is cheap to shoot. (less then $0.50 per round). I have looked at a Yugo M24/47 Mauser in 8mm, and it is $209.95 for one in very good condition. I have looked at a few Mosins that were arond $80-$100 too. I also found an old Remington Model 11 12 ga in working (but rought) condition for $225.
    Does anybody have any other good suggestions for a good cheap to shoot gun for under $250?

Thanks

2. Swashpl8

Swashpl8 New Member

Remington 700 sps tactical in .308, I just got one and its a sub moa gun right out of the box.....for your price range it can be had with a good piece of glass also....

3. Swashpl8

Swashpl8 New Member

Replied to the wrong post......sorry

4. texaswoodworker

lol, thats ok. I was beginning to wondering how you got a M700 .308 for under $250. :D

Oh, and welcome to FTF. Be sure to stop by the introductions area and tell us about yourself.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

you can't really go wrong with a mosin, when I got mine I paid a little under $300 dollars I got a 91/30 and 880 rounds of ammo.

6. texaswoodworker

Heres what I have been looking at.

[​IMG]
    Yugo M24/47 Mauser-$209.95 (8mm mauser ammo-$0.25 per round)

[​IMG]
    Remington Model 870 Express-$269.95 (12 GA ammo-$0.20 per round)

[​IMG]
    Mosin Nagant-$126.00 (7.62x54R ammo-$0.17 per round)

Since the Mosins are pretty common, I may wait until one shows up at my LGS. Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the Yugo Mauser. What do you guys think?

7. Werminator

Werminator Member

I absolutely love shooting both of my Mosin 91/30s... Solid guns... Also a long sight range... Once you get it sighted in it will be easy to keep rounds on target at 100 or 200 yards... Over 300 the lack of an optic can be a pain but they are neat guns with lots of history...

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The Mosin is a great gun. You just cant go wrong with one of those. Mine is incredibly accurate. And I paid under $100 for it! How can you beat that? Everyone should have at least one.

9. Catfish

Catfish New Member

If your looking for a good gun cheap that will be cheap to shoot I would recomand that you pick up and H&R or NEF in 223. I`ve had a couple of them and that have both shot very good. The triggers are bad, but you can hav that fixed if you feel the need.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Wouldn't a .22LR-chambered rifle be the cheapest to shoot? Maybe a Marlin Model 60 would be fun for your plinking needs?
    I LOVE my lil Chinese SKS, LOVE IT. I don't want a Yugo, at least not one with that grenade launcher thing up front.

11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I say get a mosin and use the left over money to convert it for a scope.

12. texaswoodworker

Well, I have decided. I'm going with the Mosin. (and will probably have enough money left over for a spam can of ammo and a nagant revolver if I can find one locally) :D I looked around on gunbroker, and found a .223 H&R for $250, but I think I'll save that for later. It was a nice looking rifle though. As for the .22, they're fun, but I was wanting something with a little more punch and kick. :D
    Can you get a replica or original mosin sniper scope for a reasonable price, or are they really high?

Thanks for the help guys.

13. texaswoodworker

Yeah, the Chinese SKS was what I was origionally wanting, but I could not find one for under $350, but I found a Yugo for $280 (the grenade launcher does not bother me.) The price on them keeps rising, so I'll wait until after the election to get one. I'd really like one of those Norincos that use the AK mag. :D

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Man, I remember when I could walk into the LGS and the first thing I saw was a half whiskey barrel, filled with great condition SKS's. You could take your pick for $99. If you wanted to get REALLY crazy, they kept the extra nice ones in the rack, but one of those would set a feller back $199...

I miss those days.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, i remember having to choose between a Marlin Model 60 and a Chinese SKS at the local Roses store, back in 1979 or 1980. The SKS was $79 or $89, i bleve. I love my Marlin Model 60 that i took home that day, but that SKS could have been some crazy fun for a ~nine year old.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ha..yup. I've ALWAYS been a gun nut! Even at age 9.... :D

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The question is what to grab "these days". I believe it is the mosin. Get em while they're cheap, they might be 300$ five years from now.

18. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Go with the mosin however check out a 44 a shorter version still in 7.62x54R. It was the first gun I ever bought took two deer and one squirrel(dont ask it was messy). Cheap to buy cheap to shoot and loads of fun! Word of advice though keep it tight in your shoulder recoil is not terrible but worth mentioning!

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Sure, the .22 LR is what you want. I've noted 8mm surplus drying up...