need help choosing a new deer rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bigdaddy573, Sep 22, 2012.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Unforchantly I lost my browning Belgium made bar because of a family problem :( and now I need a replacement that will come close to it im looking at the browning a-bolt or a tikka t3 hunter but not sure witch one cause I like them both but I can make up my mind on witch one I want thanks for helping me choose

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

While not listed, don't forget Browning's X bolt.

A bolt, X bolt or T-3 are all great choices.

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Are you set on those? Many other fantastic options at a similar price.
    Model 77, model 70, rem 700, howa 1500, and any savage.

If you MUST have one or the other i would suggest the browning.
    I have experience with a few brownings and they have been great handguns and rifles. Never shot anything tikka.

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I aint really set on any of them they are just the ones I have done the most research on

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I didnt think about the x-bolt

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I would go with the model 70. All american made. And the bolt is one piece as opposed to 2 or 3.

7. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Thats what I was just looking I always been a model 70 fan but I can never find one thats problem

8. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I love my tikka t3. I was real close to the Browning x bolt as well. I feel like the tikkas trigger was much crisper (and adjustable down to 2lbs), and the action was smooth as it gets. I have let 2 of my friends shoot it and they both went and bought one. It's by far my favorite rifle.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Don't promote winchester as all american , american made , Belium owned company like browning.

Buy what just feels best and has the best features that you want , you know know what shoots best till you go to the range.

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright guys im down to the a-bolt composite stalker winchester model 70 shadow and winchester model 70 featherweight

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I was going to suggest an older (10 years plus) Remington 700 in 30-06. But then, there would be one less out there for me to collect, so, never mind, do what those other guys said lol

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I wish lol every one I find is in a caliber I dont want the last time I found one it was in 270 when I was looking for my deer rifle but I wanted a 06 cause I hunt thick woods

13. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Hard, the new 'Winchester' Model 70s are made in SC by US workers employed by Fabrique Nationale who licensed the trademark. While the profits are going to Europe, the jobs, payroll, physical plant, suppliers and other related businesses are in the States. Given a choice, I would rather have the jobs and plant rather than the profits in the US.

That said, the new control feed Model 70s are supposed to be as good or better than the pre-64 Model 70s.

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Savage is as good & a lot cheaper, just my .02 cents..............

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you hunt thick woods, ask what is my longest shot. Probably under 100 yards. My longest shot was about 70 yards and more often under 30 yards. Then I wondered why I was carrying a heavy rifle with a high power scope that would shoot accurately to 400 yards when I really did not need more than a 30-30 or a 35 Remington..:confused:

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I got other rifles for the open country shots but I lost my favorite go to gun and it had a 4x32 scope on it. The reason I dont hunt with a 30-30 is because it was to short for me and im a bigger 30-06 fan then a 30-30

17. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I love savage rifles I own two of them but I mainly want to get a rifle that was like my browning in looks and how it feels

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not putting down the 06, it is one of the best rounds ever made. What I do question is carrying a big rifle when it is tight cover. Ruger makes several short rifles/carbines in heavy calibers that look like they would make a better woods gun. I like the 308 in one of their compact bolt action rifles with iron sights. With a 1-4x scope it would be good tight or out to 200 yards. Old eyes.

19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

This question is kinda like asking what style and color underwear to buy. What you using it for? i.e. what you after and where? There's a ton of different terrain just here in an average size state like here in Cheeseland. In my Northwoods it's the levers like my Marlins: 30-30, .348WCF .35Rem 38/55WCF 45/70, and my Win 1895 in 30-06.

20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Why not just get another browning semi auto. Expensive yes, but you can always recover your money. I put a safari grade type 2 browning on guns america. I put the starting bid at $800. I got over $1100 for it including shipping. You can get a safari grade from buds for $1200.

I did do all the right things. I offered a 7 day warranty. Pretty much everything my gunsmith does when he sells a gun online. I even used the paperwork he uses to define the terms of the warranty.

Buds has dropped their prices on the BARs. They have come down $200 in the past couple months.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012