need help choosing a first pistol for concealed

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by stronghand93, Feb 1, 2014.

1. stronghand93

stronghand93 New Member

So im getting ready to buy my first pistol and get my concealed permit and ive been looking at different pistols.. Ive looked at the springfield xd series and the s&w m&p series but im open to suggestions.. Only interested in 9mm's so. My price range is around 400-500$.. So suggest ahead and i want as many opinions on different handguns as possible

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the Introduction section sometime.

Check out the threads in the section of FTF dedicated to CC.:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/

Choosing a handgun is often compared to choosing a comfortable pair of shoes, you have to find what fits you, cost, size, material, etc.

What is your experience level with handguns?

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Great comparison. If you get it right it's like a part of your body, and if you get it wrong it's a giant pain.

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

A lot of people fail to mention this, but it's something everyone should consider when choosing a concealed carry firearm. Can you hide it under the clothes you already have?

Your closet is full of clothes you feel comfortable in. You may change your wardrobe to fit the gun in the beginning, but trust me, you will go back to what you like to wear. Save yourself some time and money. Get something that you can hide under the clothes you wear now.

5. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Look into the ruger SR9c.. I have one at my parents house in florida and it's my first ccw of mine. Once I got it with the de santis holster in the right spot it was like i didn't have anything on at all.. Was able to squat to the floor and even run in it and it never bothered me.. Shot 150 rds first though it and 149 hit the med sized human paper target at about 15 yards. ( the one flyer was all my fault) lol.. I got mine for 420 at lgs in fl. But I did see them at a gun show down there for 379-399.. It Also comes with a speed loader to help your thumbs out and a 10 and 17rd mag!

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Kahr makes some very nice pistols. I have a CM9. It is a sub-compact 9mm. It holds 6 in the mag and one in the pipe. It is a very accurate gun for its size. It is not uncomfortable to shoot. Mine was $399.00. Remember when you buy a gun, the gun is not your only expense. You will need to buy a good holster. And you will want a good belt. Don't use a Walmart belt. They don't sell gun belts. Don't even look. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. It does not bend with the weight of a heavy gun. You can only get away with a cheap belt if it is a super light gun. You will also need a couple hundred rounds of self defense ammo. I will not carry a gun that has not been shot 150-200 times without a problem from the ammo in it.

My Kahr can be carried on a belt in a holster. But I carry it in a pocket holster in my front pocket.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ditto. I carry a Kahr PM9 everyday.

The videos in this thread may help:
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

8. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I'm new to carrying also. My first suggestion is "think small" - that is physically small. There are several semi-auto's that are less than 1" thick which is good.

9mm is fine. There are lots of small guns that are available in 9mm. After carrying for the past 2 days a full size is a bit much and I would suggest avoiding if possible. It is the only pistol I have so it will be my carry for now. I would love a S&W M&P Shield 9MM or Ruger SP101 .357. Just MHO.

I do want to carry IWB but that takes a different holster than I have so for now it's OWB only for me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  9. therukh

therukh New Member

First Carry Gun

I, too, carry a PM9 everyday and am glad to have it. I spent several years looking for an all black PM9 with factory night sights and when I found it, I latched onto it and won't let go. This was after carrying all manner of pistols and revolvers for several decades
    I must say that the advice of the other posters here is spot on. I would further suggest going to a range/gun store where you can rent different guns and try them on premises and get a feel for the different guns you might want...all those you listed and others too.

10. mikemc

mikemc New Member

It really should come down to fit and feel for you. That said, I will also give a thumbs up to the Kahr line of pistols. I have a CM9 and absolutely love it. Somewhere north of 500 rounds through it without a single issue. Love the trigger and the size of this gun.

Now there really is no substitute, though, for trying out a gun prior to purchase. Many ranges rent guns and if not the least you can do is handle a few different guns to see how they feel.

Good advice above on the concealability issue in regard to your wardrobe.

Good luck!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would suggest taking some pistol classes first. learn first, then after learning buy a pistol.

for a first time pistol buyer, i would also recommend thinking about buying a 22 rimfire and learning with it before buying a more expensive to shoot centerfire caliber pistol. much easier to learn good pistol shooting fundamentals on a rimfire pistol and not learn bad habits that are much more difficult to break later on.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Shoot a few with friends/relatives/rental guy.

Remember that each of us prefers what we do for our own reasons.
    Your wants, needs, likes and desires may differ.

Don't let the first few excite you into a premature buy. Until you are sure that you favor one, over the other and why, it may be too soon.

On the other hand, it's always nice to just go out and buy what you want.

My choice after quite a few EDC's is a 3" 1911 in .45 ACP.

13. stronghand93

stronghand93 New Member

Thanks for the input yall! Really appreciate it. But most experience I have with handguns is mostly with revolvers but I have shot semi-auto pistols here and there in my early teens..

14. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Ruger LCR enough said.

15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I like my XDMc in 9mm. It's the best of all worlds, it's reasonably compact, it's a double stack, with the extended magazine, it makes for a comfortable range firearm too. My wife on the other hand has gone through several trying to find her perfect firearm. We have a collection of safe queens!

16. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I carry the sr9c. Good gun. Goes pew pew every time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

17. stronghand93

stronghand93 New Member

My dad might be able to get me a used beretta 92fs for about 250$ ish.. Like the idea but its not really my "preference" of looks and style.. Any input on the 92fs?

18. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

The 92fs is a good gun. Alittle big to cc. But you can. They shoot real nice to. Real accurate to. I have looked at a few with match barrels for a range gun. Nib around 675 over here.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Good gun, but I don't care for the grip. It feels much too large.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree. very good pistol. i have fair sized hands with long fingers, so the grip on it for me is okay. not perfect and i can adapt to shooting it, but just okay. i have just found other pistols that fit better. but, if the right deal came along on a 92F, i sure wouldn't pass it up though!