Need help choosing a 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by texaswoodworker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I finally turn 21 in August, so I plan on getting a 1911. I have looked at a few different brands and models, and would like some advice on which one I should get.

I plan on using it as a CCW, and as a range gun, so it needs to be reliable, and able to handle thousands of rounds with ease. I am pretty much open to any features, but it must me a full sized 1911 and chambered in 45 ACP. My budget is about $600.

Here's what I've looked at so far.

Rock Island Armory 1911A1-$420.00

I have read/heard a lot of good things about these. I read that they are reliable, accurate, and the sights and trigger (5 lb) are pretty decent. The finish is nothing special, but it would be a carry gun, so having a beautiful finish is not a big concern. I did read about a problem with the ambidextrous safety though. It works great, but is sharp and can cut into the web of your hand after prolonged use.
    If I got this one, I would be able to afford to customize some things if I decided it needed it.

Springfield Armory 1911 GI-$550

I looked into this one, but I'm not completely sure about it. Some of the reviews I read said they have some issues with reliability due to a weak recoil spring. That's a cheap/easy fix though. I read the sights are small, and the trigger is short. I could change out the trigger easy enough if I had to, but the sights are another story if I decide I don't like them.

High Standard 1911 GI-$420-$500

I have seen mixed review on this one. Some say they're fantastic, others say they are unreliable.

American Classic II 1911-$530

I really don't know much about these. I have heard they are good guns, and they are one of the few 1911s in this price range that are actually blued. (I like blued over parkerized).

Para Ordnance GI Expert-$550

I don't know much about these either. They look like they are good quality 1911s though, and they come with 3 dot sights.

Anyone know of any other 1911s I should look into? Right now, I'm really leaning towards that RIA or American Classic II.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I know if you do have any issues out if RIA, there customer service was spectacular. Paid shipping to an from, insured the shipment. Fixed in the time stated. Great people to deal with.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If the key word is "mods", then I would look at the SA.

I have not tried to mod a RIA. The only aftermarket parts I put on one is a set up grips (and I did not replace their screws).

I am not aware of the recoil spring issue. All 1911s have to have their recoil spring replaced at some time, so to me, that is not a big deal.

Para is okay, but they have the Series 80 system. Some like that, but I can do without it.

The others I have no experience with.

4. texaswoodworker

Awesome!

I don't plan on really modifying a lot on the gun. It really just depends on how I like it. If nothing bothers me, it will probably stay stock. If I don't like the trigger or safety, I'll just change them out.

Thanks for the info. :) What's the Series 80 system?

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Only "mods" on my RIA were a trigger and set of Houge grips. I like the Springfield option but I prefer the beaver tail saftey.

6. fordracing

fordracing Member

My first and only 1911 is a S&W E series. Couldn't be happier. Might be more than your budget allows, ($889) but made in America, and guaranteed forever. Accurate and trigger is great. If you are planning on keeping it for a while, I would maybe go rent one and see if you like it. Hell, go rent them all and see which you prefer. My buddy owns a kimber, and that shoots nice as well. Big bucks though

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

8. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

i would go with the springfield. great starter/intro into the 1911. good luck!

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

CC? None of those, if given a choice.
    Since you're obviously price sensitive, I'd steer you toward a STI Spartan IV and recommend you save up a just a few more dollars. Low to Mid $600s street price. and you get a Commander sized gun from a very good US company. Sure, not a 5" GI model, but whats 3/4" between friends? The difference isn't that great. They are essentially Rock Island/ARMSCOR frames & slides built up with STI internals. A no-lose situation if you ask me.
    http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-iv/
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/90242083...s/STI_Spartan_IV_45_acp_Commander_1911_NE.htm

Oh BTW, for the same money you can get the Spartan III, which is a 3" Officer Style. Sure not exactly what you asked for, but still, great deal.
    http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-iii/
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/936800454/Guns/Pistols/STI-Pistols/STI_Spartan_III_45_acp_Officer_.htm
    You do want to conceal after all, right?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

I own the MetroArms American Classic in .45. Excellent in accuracy and shot great out of the box. Very reliable. A great shooter and range gun.

I have a STI Spartan IV and RIA GI - both in 9mm and both required some tuning which is pretty common in 9mm models, but both are excellent and very well made and great range guns. I would expect the .45 models to be great guns from the start, but both have outstanding customer service if needed.

I know a lot of people carry full-sized 1911s, but frankly they are just too large and heavy for my taste for CCW so I don't carry them. I prefer a commander sized CCO for carry - much lighter - but I realize that is probably beyond your price range. If you are going to carry full-sized, invest in a really good large thick belt!

11. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Ruger sr1911
    And colt lightweight commander. Both are missing from your list. Springfield seems the best option out of your list. Keep in mind August is a good ways away just yet. Plenty of time to save a little more dust to get you into the colt playing field.

12. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

The SA GI is almost non existent new today.
    RIA get the tac model. A little more but worth it.
    Para forget it as they are junk.
    AC II by Metro Arms are very good guns for the money.
    HS I don't know about.

13. texaswoodworker

The STI looks like a great gun, so I'll look into them a little more. I concidered the smaller 1911s, but I think I'd rather go full sized, or close to full sized.

I'll definetly invest in a good belt, and I already have a great holster in mind.

unfortunetly, that's probably not going to be possible. I'm going to school right now, and will be moving this summer, so money is tight. I'd love a Colt though. :(

I noticed the SA GIs are hard to find too. I'll look into that tac model.

Thanks everyone.

14. ahamil11

ahamil11 New Member

If you are in the market for a decent full size 1911 for your first pistol I would agree with some of these guy's recommendations. But like he said if I were you I would take my $600 and save up a little more and purchase you a well built american made 1911. I purchased a full size Kimber Stainless II .45acp about 6 months ago for my first 1911 and I wouldn't have it any other way. The Stainless II retails for around $900 and comes straight from the factory with a match grade barrel and 3lb trigger that is as smooth as butter.

ForumRunner_20130210_011126.jpg

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not on your list but one that has me seriously thinking about is the ROCK ISLAND RAIL GUN - TACTICAL 2011. It has all the "mods" incorporated right out of the box.

railgunria.jpg

^ I'm really thinkin' 'bout this puppy.

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

My personal opinion, the best 'value' in a 1911 can be found on CDDN. I got the Taurus PT 1911 AR chambered in .38 Super Auto for $399. It's polished blue with gold accents. Not for everyone hence the lower price but I like it and it's a quality gun.

image-2182862673.jpg

image-1506076395.jpg

17. texaswoodworker

Well, I've really though about it, and I think I will go with the RIA tactical. The price is right, and it has a lot of the features that I want. I don't care for the rail on it, but I think I've seen a few without it. Even if I can't find one without it, it is not a deal breaker by any means.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Here ya go;

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/pist-rockisltacticalm911a145pistol.aspx

19. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

What about the remington 1911 im thinking of buying one this month

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Got one and love it. I have the old school GI.

[​IMG]

Great range lizard but I'd never carry it.