Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a kimber classic carry pro in a magazine and I'm hooked. That is exactly what I've been looking for as far as looks go. The finish, the bobtail, the grips. Everything. But here's the issue, I don't want a kimber. So my question is, are there any guns ou there that look like this one. Charcoal bluing, bone grips, bobtail etc. I prefer colt or Springfield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
broke-again124 said:
I just saw a kimber classic carry pro in a magazine and I'm hooked. That is exactly what I've been looking for as far as looks go. The finish, the bobtail, the grips. Everything. But here's the issue, I don't want a kimber. So my question is, are there any guns ou there that look like this one. Charcoal bluing, bone grips, bobtail etc. I prefer colt or Springfield.
I just LOVE how clean this gun looks. Help me find one like it PLEASE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
limbkiller said:
Look at Dan Wesson. I wouldn't want a Mimber either.
I have no experience with Dan Wesson at all. This gun must be exceptionally well made and of the best quality. Do these fit the bill?
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
13,597 Posts
IMO, you should not even try to compare a DW to a Kimber.

While I have room for a DW in my safe, I do not seem to find any room for a Kimber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
First have you ever shot a bobtail gun? While it may look cool or feel good in a store it might not be for you.

I own a bobtail Ed Brown Kobra Carry and I do not like shooting the bobtail. It causes the gun to twist up and to the right slightly with each shot. I far prefer any one of my three 1911's with a standard grip.

I'm not sure where the Kimber hate comes from but it seems like maybe it's a lot of people spouting out things they've heard with no real experience. I own three Kimbers and I've never had a single problem. I also have a few friends with them and I haven't seen a malfunction or heard a single complaint from any one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
broke-again124 said:
I have no experience with Dan Wesson at all. This gun must be exceptionally well made and of the best quality. Do these fit the bill?
They are everything you want it to be, all bar stock steel internals. Absolutely no MIM. Hand fitted together to A semi-custom quality. Checkering in all the right places, and I believe they are the look you want.

The best production 1911's you can buy.

Here's my VBOB.



image-1571659332.jpg

Just look up reviews on them,they speak for themselves.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Dan Wesson is the best production 1911 period, end of story.





With that being said, you can take any old cheap pistol have it bobbed by a gunsmith to get a custom look in a budget price. Like this American Classic that I just sold. $500 gun.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jstrong said:
They are everything you want it to be, all bar stock steel internals. Absolutely no MIM. Hand fitted together to A semi-custom quality. Checkering in all the right places, and I believe they are the look you want.

The best production 1911's you can buy.

Here's my VBOB.

Just look up reviews on them,they speak for themselves.
That's about what I'm wanting. Except I want that charcoal smokey blued finish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Max-Q said:
First have you ever shot a bobtail gun? While it may look cool or feel good in a store it might not be for you.

I own a bobtail Ed Brown Kobra Carry and I do not like shooting the bobtail. It causes the gun to twist up and to the right slightly with each shot. I far prefer any one of my three 1911's with a standard grip.

I'm not sure where the Kimber hate comes from but it seems like maybe it's a lot of people spouting out things they've heard with no real experience. I own three Kimbers and I've never had a single problem. I also have a few friends with them and I haven't seen a malfunction or heard a single complaint from any one of them.
No I haven't shot one. But this will not be a range gun at all. Just occasional concealed carry and a safe queen. So I don't think it will matter much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
broke-again124 said:
That's about what I'm wanting. Except I want that charcoal smokey blued finish.
Well that'll be hard to find in a Dan Wesson,they finish their guns in either bead blasted stainless or their duty coat,which is a ceramic type finish that is molecularly bonded to the stainless steel,which is ultra hard. There's a video out there somewhere of a Dan Wesson rep taking a file to one of their duty coat guns,and then buffing the scratch's back out. It worked to since its bonded to the metal.

You could get a stainless gun,and then re bead blast it to get a darker matte grey color out of it. I believe Olympus has played around with bead blasting a bit,but I'm not completely sure if he's the guy. I'll double check.

I love the BOB on mine,I didnt notice a difference when shooting it at all. I have big hands if that makes a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I have no experience with Dan Wesson at all. This gun must be exceptionally well made and of the best quality. Do these fit the bill?

You obviously know NOTHING of 1911's if you think a Kimber even comes close to a Dan Wesson. Kimber's a JUNK, and the fact that you fell in love with it in a magazine add speaks volumes to Kimber's MO. Kimber sucks in know nothing newbies with their slick advertising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
broke-again124 said:
Wht is the difference between the vbob and cbob? Anything major? I can't figure it out.
CBOB = Classic Bobtail
VBOB = Valor Bobtail

Dan Wesson discontinued the Classic model everywhere except California and upgraded to the Valor model. Most agree that the Classic models were the absolutely best gun for the money when they were being made. When the Valors came out, their price point was significantly higher than the previous Classic models. About the only difference I can tell is that the Classics used cast frames and the Valors now have forged frames.

Not sure what you mean by "charcoal" blue. The only finish I know that uses charcoal is color case hardening. Traditional bluing uses hot salts. Either way, Kimber or Dan Wesson will not offer that kind of finish. You need carbon steel to be blued. You cannot blue stainless steel. If you are wanting a particular bluing, then your best shot is buying a Colt or something and having the gun sent to a gunsmith for a bobtail job and a refinish in whatever kind of bluing or finish you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
broke-again124 said:
Wht is the difference between the vbob and cbob? Anything major? I can't figure it out.
The vbob is their valor model in a bobtail commander format, the valor is their flagship model and has all the nicest parts.

Some things the VBOB has over the Cbob are

Nicer grips, VZ g10 grips over wood on the cbob

Has heinie straight 8 ledge night sights,over regular 3 dot night sights

Checkering on both front strap and MSH

Vbob's tend to get a little more attention to fitting

All tool steel internals over lesser internals of pre 2010 cbob's

Nicer trigger



That being said a CBOB is nothing to turn your nose up at,still a great gun. The VBOB and Valor are their flagship models and tend to get the best parts and more attention than other models,not saying other Dan Wessons are anything but superb.

If you can get a CBOB for alot less than a VBOB than I would snag it up and not look back. But if the price is approaching that of a VBOB I would just pony up the extra money and get the VBOB

Just my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jstrong said:
The vbob is their valor model in a bobtail commander format, the valor is their flagship model and has all the nicest parts.

Some things the VBOB has over the Cbob are

Nicer grips, VZ g10 grips over wood on the cbob

Has heinie straight 8 ledge night sights,over regular 3 dot night sights

Checkering on both front strap and MSH

Vbob's tend to get a little more attention to fitting

All tool steel internals over lesser internals of pre 2010 cbob's

Nicer trigger

That being said a CBOB is nothing to turn your nose up at,still a great gun. The VBOB and Valor are their flagship models and tend to get the best parts and more attention than other models,not saying other Dan Wessons are anything but superb.

If you can get a CBOB for alot less than a VBOB than I would snag it up and not look back. But if the price is approaching that of a VBOB I would just pony up the extra money and get the VBOB

Just my opinion
Gotcha. Makes good sense. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Jstrong said:
The vbob is their valor model in a bobtail commander format, the valor is their flagship model and has all the nicest parts.

Some things the VBOB has over the Cbob are

Nicer grips, VZ g10 grips over wood on the cbob

Has heinie straight 8 ledge night sights,over regular 3 dot night sights

Checkering on both front strap and MSH

Vbob's tend to get a little more attention to fitting

All tool steel internals over lesser internals of pre 2010 cbob's

Nicer trigger

That being said a CBOB is nothing to turn your nose up at,still a great gun. The VBOB and Valor are their flagship models and tend to get the best parts and more attention than other models,not saying other Dan Wessons are anything but superb.

If you can get a CBOB for alot less than a VBOB than I would snag it up and not look back. But if the price is approaching that of a VBOB I would just pony up the extra money and get the VBOB

Just my opinion
Just some things that may be up for debate:
- I think most would consider checkered rosewood grips an upgrade over G10

- my CBOB came with Trijicon night sights. Some prefer Trijicon over Heinie

- CBOBs have front strap checkering like the VBOB, but do have a smooth MSH. I swapped mine out for a checkered for just a small amount of money.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top