Need help buying a classic six shooter

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ThorsHammer, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

I've been looking at all types of firearms for my second purchase. I want to get a classic six shooter for my next pistol since I believe them to be a whole lot of fun to shoot and own. Now, I know a little about revolvers, and I know that the 1873 Single Action Colt Army helped form the great nation of United States.

• As far as that goes, how much do those puppies go for new?
    • How much should I expect to pay for one used?
    • Are there any viable alternatives manufactured by companies other than Colt?

Thankful for any help and recommendations!

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I like my Ruger Blackhawk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

That's a mighty fine gun, Cane! How much does one of those set you back?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

For those times I want to "cowboy" I generally take my Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk out.

[​IMG]

I also use it for feral pig hunting. With some 300 grain hard-cast bullets, it'll drop a 300 pound pig in its tracks at 50 yards. I use 240 grain JHP's for everything else.

7. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Thanks Cane and Mark for the stunning visuals! I looked at some of the Rugers and they do look nice. I just wish they had more of a vintage look like the original Colts. I looked at those as well, and I just can't justify a $1,100 gun purchase for some occasional funsies with the cowboy gun. So I suppose it'll be a Ruger instead.

Also, that site had some cheaper 45 LC guns from Heritage Arms, do any of you have any experience with these guns? Are they worth the $200-300?

8. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

I think the Ruger Vaquero has the old west look that I would want in a western gun. List price is 679.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

So do where that thing cross draw?

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

JMHO, but stay away from Heritage revolvers. They aren't necessarily junk, but they don't compare in quality to most other brands.

Take a good look at the Ruger Vaquero models. I particularly like the older ones. You can get blued or stainless and several calibers and barrel lengths are available.

Colts are wonderful, but they require a bank loan to buy one.

11. mag318

mag318 Member

It all depends on what you're buying it for. There are some very good Colt clones that are close to the real thing. But a real Colt SAA will always hold it's value and there's just something about owning a real Colt. I love these things.

Attached Files:

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Do yourself a favor and don't deviate from Ruger, Smith and Wesson or Colt.

Just be patient and persistent and keep your eye out for a good used Ruger if you really don't want to spend the cash on a Smith or Colt.

13. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Rugers are nice - here are the Vaquero, New Vaquero and Single Six.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

14. rvaducks

rvaducks New Member

How are the .22's that they make?

15. CA357

It's my opinion and also the opinion of some pretty knowledgeable people that the Heritage revolvers just aren't of very good quality. They're cheap to buy, but you get what you pay for.

A Colt if you can afford one or a Ruger will do the job for less money. I haven't owned a Colt single action revolver, but have owned a number of Rugers. I've had several old model Vaquero's and several Blackhawks. They're excellent firearms and built like tanks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  16. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

Ruger Vaquero for the old cowboy classic.
    Not sure of the price because I haven't seen one in a gun store lately.
    Probably around 400-500$.

17. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Thanks for all the awesome advice and pictures guys! This is why I love this forum, people actually know what they're talking about and they can back it up with both words and photographic evidence. :D

I've been looking at the Ruger Vaqueros, and they look awesome! I think a Colt is a bit steep to begin with, and for that amount of money I could get that Kimber 1911 Pro Raptor II I've been drooling over, so I think I am going to go for the Vaquero.

18. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Vaquero Questions:

1. What's the difference between the Vaquero Stainless/Blued and the Bisley? From what I can tell the hammer is lower on the Bisley, and the grip looks to be different as well.
    2. Would it be possible to get different grips for the Vaquero? I am NOT a fan of the black hard rubber grips.
    3. I am assuming I should go for the .45 Colt caliber?
    4. What barrel length would you guys suggest? 5.50" or 4.62" length? I will mostly carry it when I dress up and for shooting at the range.

19. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I own a Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag and i freakin love that gun!! I am also working on getting a Vaquero. I believe you are right about the hammer and grips being different on the Bisley. I think it has a high gloss finish that the other Vaqueros don't have. Barrel length is really a personal preference. Just look at some holsters for it and try to get an idea of where you want to carry it (strong side, crossdraw, doc holiday holster). Then you'll get an idea on how long you want the barrel.

just my 2cents

20. CA357

Some Bisley info:

In 1895, Holland & Holland the famed London gunmaker, advertised the New Colt Bisley Revolver.

The town of Bisley, England was the site of major British shooting matches. In 1894 Colt made an effort to market this new revolver which was an outgrowth of the modifications urged by popular demand on the Single Action. Longer grip straps, heavier frame, a lower and wider hammer spur and full width trigger all were incorporated into this new design in 1894.

Today, the Bisley is often copied but never duplicated. The last one, Serial Number 330,184 left the factory Nov. 18th, 1919.