Need help building a rifle set up

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BoltActionGhost, Nov 17, 2009.

1. BoltActionGhost

BoltActionGhost New Member

Hello!

well i have decided to build a long range target gun that can also be used for hunting, more of the later though considering my dad has many other guns specifically for hunting...

I was thinking about the Remington 700 SPS varminter lefty .308.

Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm as my scope but was wondering if the 6.5-20 is over kill....

Mounts are also a problem considering i do not know a lot about them..

Any help would be apreciated concerning my setup i stated or suggestions on different rifles or scopes etc...

-ghost

2. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

yes, that will shoot long distance and kill animals. for a somewhat reasonable price i would think. don't know much about mounts either, i'm sure someone around here can help you with that part tho...

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Holy crap! :eek:

Where to start, where to start??

Why not tell us a little about your shooting experience and what kind of accuracy you are wanting out of this rifle.

In the Projects section, you will find a couple of rifle builds that I have done that have complete write ups. That might give you some ideas.

You have a WIDE OPEN thread here that could go in a lot fo directions depending on what you are looking to achieve.

What kind of accuracy are you after?

Why the .308 caliber?

Help us help you...

JD

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The response above says it all. Mounts and rings are the simple part. I can tell you, I have a Howa 1500 M&P HB .308 that I bought years ago. It was used for targets to 700 meters, so at the time I put a 6-24x40mmAO on it. The scope was fine for paper punching, but terrible for hunting. I changed the scope out 2 years ago for a 4-12x42mmAO. I upgraded the glass and lost nothing in distance.

5. BoltActionGhost

well i started shooting the family .22 longrifle at 12 years old making money from my pops taking out squirrles that got into our corn at the time.

used the 22 for years maby 3 for target and squirrle..moving up to various others.

pistol shooting with .22, 9mm, 45, .375, ruger 45 blackhawk

have not done much deer hunting but my neighbors and friends are really into it and want me to come out...

although my dad has HIS deer guns i would like a gun that i can hunt with of MY own. but mainly for long range target... 500+ meters with tight grouping.... i of course will be practing a lot with this rifle gaining enjoyment and skill.

this would be the first gun i buy and own myself so i want to make sure i buy quality that i will own for years and years.

.308 it has punch at long ranges but knowing that it still is heavy and not sure if i should pick a lighter round for target shooting long range.... going to look at ballistics for the .308 drop rate

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

B.A.G. - I like the cut of your jib. I have a lot to say on this issue, but tonight is not the night I am afraid.

I will put aside a good 45 minutes to an hour tomorrow in the AM to provide you with a bunch of insight from someone that was in your exact shoes back in 2000. I have read and learned TONS of information about quality rifles and what it takes to build them since then.

You are doing this one right and your research is showing that. Good for you.

We here at FTF are going to help you build one great tack driver of a rifle.

JD

7. BoltActionGhost

thanks a bunch jd for not shunning me. Very welcoming feeling!:)

B.A.G haha i like it.

8. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

JD - I am sure that there are more than one of us (me) who would also like to have the benefit of your experience. My long range shooter is a bit down the road (about number 8 on my weapons bucket list), but it is getting closer.

9. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Here here!

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks guys. I am definitely no expert, but I have done a ton of studying on the topic as it's one of my OCD Passions....:cool:

Now, onto the write up....

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

First, I would encourage you to read this compilation of ideas on the factory rifle, it will give you some very good, ground floor information about what can be done on the cheap to improve a factory stick.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/improving-accuracy-factory-rifle-19037/

Second, especially if you are thinking about building a very accurate bolt action rifle ( sniper rifle, but we don't use the "S" word a lot around here ) I can't not say enough good things about this book.

Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster

That is a very good read and will tell you a TON about what a real rifle can do.

Okay, you want to shoot to 500 yards/meters and you want to start with a factory gun.

The Remington is a good rifle, it's not my favorite, but they build many applications that have some desireable features to a new shooter.

The choice of .308 is a good round, but you have to understand the round and what it can do and what it can't do. Especially at distance.

You will read and see people talking about shooting the .308 at 1,000 yards and people will tell you the Marines shoot their .308's out past 1,000 all the time. And that is true.

But it's a friggin moon shot to get the round out to 1,000 and by the time it gets there, it lacks the serious energy to knock someone/something cold.

Here's a couple of facts to consider:

168gr round, fired from your 26" .308 rifle, will be affected, in terms of lateral drift, approx 110 inches from a 10 mph crosswind at 1,000 yards. That is almost 10 feet!

That same round will drop about 240 inches at 1,000 yards when your rifle is zero'd for 600. That is a TON of drop to compensate for!

So, understand that while .308 is desireable in the fact that it can be had almost anywhere in the country ( SHTF purposes ) and that it can bring down a lot of game ( even without SHTF purposes ) this round is probably "effective" out to about 600 or 650 yards. Beyond that, the round will get there, the round will probably hit hard, but it lacks the serious power to drop something in it's tracks.

Okay, disclaimer out of the way....

Your choice of rifle is good, and with the tricks in the Improving Accuracy thread, you can see what you need to tweak it's performance right out of the box.

• Glass Bed the action
    • Trigger job ( or replacement trigger )
    • Lap the locking lugs
    Your scope choice is an excellent one. I have that exact scope and I love it. Don't get sucked into buying the Mark IV or the Mil-Dot though, neither one are a model or feature that you need.

For mounting, I suggest you get a scope base with a built in 20MOA. This will improve the ability to shoot across various ranges without having to max out the dials on your scope.

Badger Ordnance makes some very good, very durable, rock solid scope bases and rings. They are not cheap, but they are worth the extra cash because they are SERIOUS gear.

For your choice of rifle listed above, I would get this rail

P/N 306-06L - Short action Left hand 20 MOA cant, 4.8 Oz.

Ring height is something you have to determine. Usually a set of mediums is what we install, but everyone has their preference.

Keep in mind that for real precision long range shooting, your best accuracy is going to be achieved with handloads on fire formed brass.

You can side step that, like I did on my first build, by having a custom barrel chambered for your exact round ( in my case I went with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 BTHP ). My fire formed brass is VERY close to the brass that comes out of the Federal box, so my accuracy change is very
    minimal.

There are a ton of other tricks and things that you will learn as you go, but hopefully that gives you a very good start on your build. I am excited for you. Building a quality stick is always fun.

Best of luck!! Please post pictures and questions/decisions as you go along....

JD

12. BoltActionGhost

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No problem B.A.G. - I am happy to help. I LOVE me some long gun action. My first true firearms love, and you never forget your first. ;)

I like the .260, it's a great, long range, pretty flat shooter. Thing is, while it's still a short action round, the barrel life isn't as good because of the high chamber pressure and smaller caliber. You still get good barrel life, but it's not REAL good barrel life.

You are going to have to tackle reloading to get sniper grade accuracy with this round. This is more a bench shooters type of round. Like a project round. The damn thing will shoot for days and it's a hell of round, but it's more like a mad scientist project. "Just a little more tweaking and I can get another 38fps and probably another .005" out of my average groups". You know?

Definitely a good choice, but for my first long range gun? Personally? I would stick with something you can get match grade ammo for right off the shelf. And I don't personally know if you can get match grade .260 off the shelf. Someone will be by in a few minutes to correct me and throw up some obscure link though... LOL

Keep the questions coming, or post up some pictures of what you decided to buy. I love long range rifle projects. :D

JD

14. BoltActionGhost

Ultimately my dad says its up to me and agrees with you about the round being high-pressured and what not.

He suggested buying a ANSCHUTZ .22 target rifle to get my serious accuracy and formation in tune. Saying to build up my own form to fit me into guns later that i build/buy.

I’m not against this, seeing his logic: But would like outside opinions.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well. For what it's worth. I got a BB gun when I was 5. I started shooting .22lr Tyro Class every weekend or every other weekend when I was like 9 or 10. I shot .22 for a long time.

These days I am not sniper or distinguished shooter, but I can definitely hold my own.

I think learn the very basics of firearms, and especially precision shooting, with a .22 is very smart, very cheap and a hell of alot of fun.

I would agree that building your first rifle is a hell of a lot of fun, but for cheap, practice with long guns, a .22 bolt action rifle is 100% JD Approved.

16. BoltActionGhost

Anschutz, 1903 target rifle, .22 LR rimfire, smallbore match rifle = 1200ish $.... not a cheap target .22 but my dad said if i want to become a insane target shooter these guns are a very good step towards that...

Are there any good bolt action target grade rifles that won't break the bank. I mean I have the cash but 1200 on a .22 lord thats expensive.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you are looking for a real nice shooter, I would recommend a Mossberg U.S. M44. I see them around here for $175.00 to $200.00 in excellent condition. I have won many NRA Smallbore compititions in the past w/ one. Wish I still had it. $1200.00 is allot of cash and a little overkill. JP

18. BoltActionGhost

yeah agree, ill look into some guns. Maby go around some gun shops that carry the 1903 and see what deals i can get.

sigh lol

19. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

BoltActionGhost - if you aren't set on the .308, I see you are going for the long distance shot, maybe take a look at the 7MM Rem Mag. very good caliber for long distance shooting.