need help asap!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by old fart, May 6, 2014.

1. old fart

old fart Member

i have a friend that's about to make a mistake i think, but i wanted ya'll to give your idea's so he won't do what he's thinking of doing. he found a decent security six blued from the serial number it was a 1984 model with 4inch barrel. we were shooting yesterday and he noticed his ejector rod is loose and came unscrewed a little. i told him to tighten it back up or do as i did when i got my service six, take it apart clean and relube the cylinder. he has got it in his head that the gun is now no good, says a gun shouldn't come loose and one that does isn't worth keeping. i tell him mine was loose when i got it, i tightened mine after cleaning hand tight and so far it's still good. i've heard some people blue lock tight the rod but i'm afraid to do that to mine. he's gonna try and sell it but said if what i say is true, he'll have me fix it. so has anyone had a ejector rod to come loose?, was it the end of the gun? :roll: let me know soon and i'll get to fixen it for him. also i have no special tools or a gunsmith close by so is hand tighten good enough? we shoot only about 25-50rds a week. thanks for any help.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Loc-tite the screws and be careful that you do not use too much that it runs in places it should not.

A little dab will do ya.

Then hand tighten and let it sit for at least 24 hours. (seriously, let it sit)

3. therukh

therukh New Member

Have him let you "fix" it and do as you did to yours and give it back to him. Occasionally guns will loosen, so what? I have some Colt SAA's that back screws out every time I shoot them. I tighten them and go on, big deal.

4. pmanton

pmanton Member

It's now junk ! Do him a favor--take it off his hands for him.:D

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I second blue loctite, and agree this is no big deal.

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Yea......I'd probably make him an offer on that "broken" gun!!!!!

Seriously though as the boys said blue Loc Tite should do the trick. Make sure the threads and hole are clean (no oil) or it won't stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Offer him $100 for his "parts gun." ;)

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

completely remove the part and clean all traces of oil or dirt with brake cleaner and compressed air. use a very small dab of Loc-tite of medium strength. doesn't take much, then re-assemble and let set for a least a day.

it will be as good as new when cured.

or buy it from him and then fix it!:D

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He is too closed minded to reason with. Knock him upside his head with a 12 pound sledge hammer. That should cure him

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

thems ar' dang fine shootin irons. The "ALL" purpose, if you only have one, type of handgun, though sometimes a bit much for cc. Do what you did for yours. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but the bluing on mine is well worn [muzzle and butt], and I have been thinking of having it reblued or ceracoated, what does y'all think?

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Yes, except a collectible where nothing should be altered. In those guns almost any restoration decreases the value. If you are certain to keep the gun and take it out to shoot, have Colt (if it's a Colt) put a beautiful new luster on it and enjoy. I would not bother at all with just holster wear.