NEED HELP ASAP!! Beretta M9 or WASR-10?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Haven't gotten any new toys lately, having withdrawal symptoms, should I buy another handgun (M9) or the AK (WASR-10), found the M9 for just under 600 I think it was, the AK is $350 on sale??? M9 for CCW and fun (I know it's big, I carry a full size 1911 now) AK for wasting ammo and destroying that which I deem appropriate in a hail of very inaccurate bullets. AR-15 is coming shortly, can't wait.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

WASR and take the difference, get a 2 cans of Ammo and have fun.:D

Don't forget the Bayonet.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would skip the m9 they arent very good.

4. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Please tell me that was a typo..
    But I'd have to agree with the option of buying the WASR-10 and either 2 cans of ammo or saving it for parts or another gun.
    If the M9 is used I'd probably skip it though...chances are its been put through hell if it is used. As good as their reputation is, it can wear out when used in excess.
    On the comment about carrying a full size 1911 and switching to the M9, the M9 is fatter than the single stack 1911 in most cases.

5. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

also for the waser

because if any of the assault weapon ban's happen you could still get the pistol I would buy the rifle now and maybe the pistol later.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No matter what our military did, the M9 can never replace the 1911. Get the WASR!

As far as a full frame 9mm, I'd vote Hi-Power especially since you're familiar with the 1911.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

no typo.

had tons of failures with em when they were adopted mainly cracked frames had to send em back to depot for replacement. we did some unofficial torture tests. we had about 2500 rounds of extra 9mm to shoot so we loaded up 50 mags just to see what would happen non-stop. somwhere between mags sixteen and eighteen the would cease to cycle due to heat.

repeated the same test with the 1911's we had from ww2 couldnt make em fail my duty 1911 went 1200~ rounds without failure. we still had the 1911's as the transition had not fully occured yet.

kinda ridicuous ammount of rounds but between that and constant breakage i got a pretty low opinion of em.

as long as you dont really need to use it or use it infrequently the m9 should be ok i suppose. the army really got screwed over adopting that pos. the sig p226 would have been a better choice as would the cz75 or browning hi-power.

8. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Most of the failures in the M9/92 models were in the 1980s and early '90s. There's plenty of documentation on those pistols' slides spliting in half but unless the pistol is actually 15 years old I dont think that would be a problem as Beretta was forced to fix those problems so they could have the military contract. One of the weird things about that topic is there was a military specification that the slide be a disposable part, they concentrated on the frame being able to withstand 5,000 rounds. The frames cracking were deemed "cosmetic only" by the military but had to be fixed as well by Beretta because it voided the military contract.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

berreta isnt the sort of company that emotes an air of trust in them fixing anything for the civilian market. most civilians dont shoot that much so they can get away with a lot more cheesy quality controls nd they have a long history of cutting safety and quality corners. if they will intentionally screw over our soldiers for a buck or two they wont hesitate to do it to civys. its why i dont have a berreta in my safe.

i have a similar opinion of Fabrique Nationale.

least thats my opinion. others may have a different take. if you like em im not gonna slam ya for it. its your money and they do look cool.

10. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I can understand your dislike due to your experiences with them. I suppose everyone has at least one company that they dont trust as much as others, mine would be Ruger. Plenty of reasons why I dont trust them, both personal and mechanical.
    I like the guns that come from the FN designers but never had any personal experience with them. The only thing that comes close to FN is my FAL which isnt saying much since its a unibrow feed ramp from Century Arms International.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. doose

doose New Member

I bought a 92FS last year, runs like a champ. I have heard about the slides failing at the rear but I believe that has been fixed. I have also read that the checkmate mags lick the sweat from a dead donkeys ball sac so I have only bought factory mags. I like it, but it will be the only one I own.

12. Bello

Bello New Member

I have to second that. If you dont have a rifle this will be the right time for it. Buy ammo and mags. Learn how to use it and enjoy!!! :cool:

13. doose

doose New Member

I forgot to add I have a WASR-10 as well and it is a fun rifle to shoot. Mine has a canted gas block, some have canted front sights so look closely before you buy. Great rifle for the money. I didn't like the polymer PG so I replaced mine with a used refurbished wood set that had the "original" plastic PG.

14. JoeB1987

JoeB1987 New Member

I second this, I too own a 92fs and absolutely love it. Aside from the weight of the weapon, this is perfect for a home defense weapon and a range toy. Definitely not a carry weapon, unless you're the open carry type of guy.

I do remember hearing about the issue with the slide 'breaking out' of the backside, but this issue was supposedly fixed with the 92-FS revision.

I love it, but I do think others are right in saying this would be the time to pick up a sports utility rifle.

15. ManInBlack83

ManInBlack83 New Member

I'm a huge Beretta fan, but I would also suggest getting the WASR first...tons of fun.

16. sputnik1988

Went to pick up the WASR, at a local shop, all but one had canted front sights, then the guy behind the counter proceeded to tell me that they were in fact "angled" not canted and that you don't aim with the front anyway, so it was no big deal... what do I look like, a moron??? He then tried to sell me a "Mil-Spec" Daniel Defense AR, that was $200 higher than anyone else's and told my buddy that was with me that his S&W M&P15 was not up to par because it wasn't Mil-Spec and he didnt expect much out of it. Needless to say, I'll never go back and tell everyone I know about the way they do business. If you are ever in Lyndon, KY, stay out of the gun shop.

17. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Thats horrible business etiquette in my opinion. Unfortunately some retailers will try to steer you the direction they think you should go, usually that's in the direction that costs the most money with these kind of people. I've had plenty of these kind of experiences myself. Did you at least buy the good WASR-10 he had or was it over-priced as well?

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

So what do you plan to get, sputnik? I have the same question as Ruzai, if the good WASR was a decent price, well a bird in the hand...

ETA:
    Even though the guy was an ahole, technically he was truthful that the DD is more milspec than the M&P-15.

Also, sorry to hear that new WASRs still come with canted sights. I thought that problem was taken care of long ago. The WASRs I've looked at the last year or so have been pretty true.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  19. sputnik1988

Nah, it wasn't worth giving up my money to that establishment, I'd give 20% more and drive 100 miles before they see my cash. I may get both eventually, but my money ran out when I found a good deal on an M1 Garand and I bought a home. I may get one of the two in about a month or so when I get settled in, the WASR with ammo is looking promising at the moment though.

20. sputnik1988

These WASR's may have been old stock and I may need to find the new ones, the only reason I considered one is that they were supposed to have impoved, they had been there awhile. While the DD is more mil-spec, it doesn't mean the M&P is junk as the guy implied. When my friend said he had bought the M&P, the guy actually said "Well... how's that shoot?" in a sarcastic, you have a pile of crap kind of way.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011