Need gunsmith near Roanoke Va

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by wittmeba, Jul 30, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Hello,

First post here.

Im looking for a Gunsmith near Roanoke Va. I have called Trader Jerry's, Briansteens and Roanoke Firearms and none were helpful at all...not even a recommendation.

I have searched the web but they seem difficult to find. Any help or suggestion would be helpful. Thx.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dick Clark Collectibles Roanoke, VA

6711 Williamson Rd # D
    Roanoke VA 24019-4274

(540) 366-5232

3. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

That was the last place I thought would be the one to come thru. :)

Thx.
    Bruce

4. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Update - I took my rifle to Dick Clark Collectables and they do not do Gunsmithing but recommend Briansteens. Went to Briansteens and the problem is their gunsmith is so overloaded he is not taking new business for a couple weeks - until he gets caught up.

So that the right story. Guess Ill have to wait.

The problem Im having is the firing pin doesnt seem to move. It wont fire and I cant set the safety. I have a set of dis-assembly/assembly instructions for the Mauser action but Im not sure of how much force to use to take it apart. The main area is removing the rear cap which holds the safety and apparently screws onto the bolt.

Anyone with experience like this? If you view Figure 6/7/8 it is that part that is in question.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Time has a way of "welding" some parts together.

Get some Kroil, soak the part for awhile (maybe 24 hours).
    Remove and dry what you can.
    Without using tools, push in the retainer and turn it out. Hand power / leverage should not damage any part.
    (But if you decide to use any tools, you chance ruining the piece.)

If it does not unscrew on the first try, then repeat the steps.

6. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I did spray with WD-40 and I managed to get it apart. Now I cant seem to get it back together. The threaded part of the pin carrier just wont bite inside the bolt. There is no spring tension that I can feel against the insertion.

As I took it apart, Im thinking the problem wasnt seizure but the pin wasnt reaching the primer - like the threaded section was backed off 1 or 2 turns. There was no mark on either of 2 primers/shells I tried.

http://i.imgur.com/j1Z8I5Z.jpg

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check the length of the firing pin and compare it to specs.

Is it possible that pin broke?

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm no gun smith so I can't help with the problem you're having, but I wish you the best of luck.

If you intend to stick around he forums (which I'm not sure why you wouldn't, it's a great place!) be sure to stop by the introductions thread and say hi.

9. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Well, no luck. Thought I had it solved but couldnt get the bolt back in the rifle. The safety hit the stock. Back to the drawing board. :)

Not sure how this will be solved now. A full thread makes the pin extend which is what was lacking but wont go into the rifle.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  10. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

I'm located about 60 miles south of Roanoke between Pulaski and Hillsville Va. I will be glad to look at your bolt problem. I'm open Mondays and Wednesdays 3-5 PM and by appointments only. I am a FFL licensed Gunsmith.
    Dave's Firearm Service LLC
    3039 Foster Falls Road
    Barren Springs, Va 24313
    Ph 276-766-3111
    Fax 276-766-0097
    vagunsmith@centurylink.net

11. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

vagunsmith,

Thanks for posting and offering. I will wait about another week or so and see if this guy at Briansteens has time. If not, I may pay you a visit. It is a bit of a drive, but not a problem. We are actually in New Castle, Va.

It is a mauser action and the end piece that holds the safety lever screws onto the bolt. At this time the firing pin does not extend far enough to fire the primer. No idea what happened since the time I last used it (1968 about 45 years ago - for real) and now to cause this.

If I screw the piece onto the bolt further the pin extends too far - like about 3/16" or so. It does not appear the pin is broken off.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

You can mail me the bolt if you like and i can take a look and repair and mail it back to you if you dont want make the drive.
    Dave

13. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Are you comfortable in assessing the problem without the complete rifle?

Ill see if I can get it to UPS today. Gotta go into town (Salem) for other reasons.

=========

On Edit:

I went to the UPS store Salem, Va. They wont ship any gun related parts so I still have the bolt.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  14. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

These guys told you wrong. People ship gun related parts all the time. As long as it is not a receiver anyone may ship gun parts. I'd just put it in a small priority mail bax and mail it US Post Office. I get gun parts daily through the mail and not all are from dealers. A scope is a gun part and people ship those ups, FedEx and us mail all the time. And it is actually legal to ship me a complete gun for repair as long as you ship it signature required and I return it to you the same way. Buying and selling is different.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

He's 100% right. I just sent my Bersa into a gunsmith for warranty repairs, in WA, a few weeks ago. I got the gun back about two weeks later.

The guys you talked to were either lying or stupid. Or assumed incorrectly.

16. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

I forgot. I don't need the whole rifle just to repair the bolt. Just send the complete bolt and we'll start there.

17. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

This is a UPS store - not UPS at the airport. He called someone (dont know who but I heard his side of the discussion) and he said they arent allowed to ship even a scope. He said when he entered the address "Dave's Firearm Service" it would raise a flag and likely kick out of the process.

I can take it to UPS when I get back into Roanoke. I have one other local option Im considering but not sure about success yet.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's simply not true. Probably the employee and whoever he talked to didn't want to deal with it, or didn't know how, so they were covering their own a**es.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...es/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=Firearms

19. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

The link you provided is UPS not a store. He told me UPS will ship the bolt but this was a store. He suggested going to the Roanoke Airport but it was too far out of the way.

From your link:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Ahh oh gotcha. I missed the part about it being a store. Well I suppose that clarifies it then. I guess I thought he was saying UPS can't ship firearms parts at all.