Need free supply of newspaper for bullet testing

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Oct 16, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know some smart aleck will come along and say about how wet newspaper or phonebooks don't show you anything...buy me some ballistic gel and I'll use that. Until that person with deep pockets comes along, does anyone know where I could find a source for free newpaper. I want to test several bullets so I'll need enough for 6-8 different bullets, 3 shots each. If anyone is interested in the results I can post them but right now I need to find the media.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Does your town recycle? Every Tuesday we have our recyclables picked up on the curb.

When I walk the dogs on Monday night I could collect a ton of newspaper for the deed!

If you want to drive the 800+ miles South to pick it up, I'd be glad to collect all the newspaper you want spit! [​IMG]

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Don't use paper your killing more trees and it is not reusable.

Try The bullet Test Tube.

The upfront cost is not all that bed but it about $85 of one. But HEY you can REUSE it all you want.

4. Kain

Kain Member

At my local post office they have a dumpster specifically for old phone books. You can pick up tons (literally) of phone books about 6 times a year. And when you're done just return them to be recycled.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If you have any hotels (higer end like Marriot or Hilton and such) in your area, stop in and talk to one of the bellhops. Offer a couple of bucks if he can get you some newspapers. (they give them to the guests daily) They may even have some free papers in the lobby for anyone to take.

6. spittinfire

I don't see that road trip in my future, although I would enjoy meeting you. Never been that far south in FL but what I've seen doesn't make me want to go back.

You a tree hugger?? Isn't using newpaper for test media a form of recycling? I'd recycle the paper after I'm finished.....
    I'm very interested in the product you posted though...adding it to my Christmas list.
    Thanks Tango.

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Damn, I had 8 months worth of newspapers lying in my bedroom until walking around the precariously tottering piles got too much & I finally dumped them :p

You coulda had em all, spittinfire...but the postage would have been a killer lol

8. WDB

WDB New Member

Spit,
    Where I live there is a free want ad papper that they put out every week. I hit them up and got all that I needed of last weeks papper for the same use, still strapped in 5 pound bundles.

9. spittinfire

There should be a free source around here somewhere. maybe I can call local papers or printing companies and get their left over rolls or missprints.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I am telling you all...walk in to a mid-to-high-end hotel in the am, and there are papers there for the taking. You don't have to be in a suit, as many companies use the same hotel deals for 'blue collar training' as 'white collar party'. As long as you don't look homless....

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

You can reduce the number of phonebooks/papers required if you freeze them in water. Look up pykrete, Mythbusters has used and I have have tried to make a bastardized version. 30-06 barely penetrated 2 thick phonebooks frozen in water and a 45-70 did not penetrate it, all shots were taken at 50 yards.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I was going to test my defensive rounds soon using a combination of gallons of water and wet phonebooks or newspaper. :)

13. spittinfire

I want to test all my self defense rounds in different calibers just for fun. I also want to test to "budget" hollow points such as UMC and WWB. If you want to send me some of what you're shooting I'll test them. The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

We have a free paper called LA Weekly that comes out every Thursday. I go around on Wednesday and clean out all the papers that weren't taken. I could of course grab them as soon as they were put in the boxes, but I wait till I know they were on the way to the recycle.