Need clarification on Pistol to Rifle conversion

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by josan89, May 3, 2012.

1. josan89

josan89 New Member

Hello all

For the last couple of weeks I have been researching this subject and even with all the information that I have been able to find, I'm still confuse.

I have a Ruger Charger 22. This gun for a pistol is a great rifle. I can not shoot it with one hand because is too heavy in the front. I have to shoot it like a rifle but it feels weird to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love this gun.

The thing is that I wanted to convert it to what it was originally, a 10/22 rifle. I found the original replacement barrel and stock for a total of $100.

What I found on this is that if it was registered as a pistol it will always be a pistol, but I also found that if change the barrel to more than 16" there is no problem and if you put the rifle stock after you incorporate the barrel, there is no problem. For what I understood, it has to be done in that order. What you can not do is to take it back to be a pistol and that you have to "destroy" the pistol barrel and stock.

Is no big deal if I convert the pistol or not, since the 10/22 can be found very cheap, but I would like to clarify this, so I would like to read your opinions.

Thanks;

JV

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i may be mistaken, but it being legally classified as a pistol, you can't change it to a rifle configuration legally. if i'm correct it has to stay a pistol or it's not legal. also vise versa. hopefully someone else will be able to add some input on this. i could be mistaken, so best bet is to check the BATF website and see if it is legal to do so. if it isn't, the consquences would be bad.

3. josan89

josan89 New Member

I was on the BATF webpage and start reading about the law but fall asleep in the middle of first page... I will read more tonight... at least half a page more...

Is no big deal, just that the correct interpretation eludes me.

4. Axxe55

maybe someone will offer some input and give some clarifiaction on the matter. because the BATF doesn't really care about good intentions when it comes to their rules and regulations.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As far as the Feds, you can make a rifle (16 in bbl, 26 in overall minimums) FROM a pistol. You cannot make a pistol FROM a rifle without paperwork- it becomes an SBR- Short Barreled Rifle- when you do that.

Honestly? Go buy a 10-22, you cheap son of a gun. You would just waste the money on frills anyway- like food, shelter, medicine, etc :D

6. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

C3 is correct, again. Conversion to a rifle is not an issue. Conversion the other way is very much so. Just keep the barrel length of the rifle at 16" or longer. Shorter and you'd be creating an SBR and that requires the stamp and a whole new set of rules. Just because the original paperwork shates that you own a pistol doesn't mean that it will stay a pistol, per se, if you convert it to, say, a 10" barreled rifle. You'd be creating a SHORT BARREL RIFLE and that will be an issue. There definately is a difference.

I'm not clear why you'd want to do this to the gun you are talking about. I'd just get a rifle myself also, but that's just me.

7. Axxe55

i tend to agree with the others, that for what a decent barrel and a stock will cost, you could probably buy another 10/22 rifle new or used. then you would have two guns instead of one! :D

8. josan89

josan89 New Member

I guess a new 10/22 it is. I think that making the change do not worst the risk if any...

Thanks for the input!!!

9. rob072770

rob072770 New Member

Want a fun pistol

I have a Sig 556p 10.5 barrel fun to soot. Add a Urban URT sling a now I have a check weld! Works fine while I wait on my SBR stamp and it suppresor.

10. rob072770

rob072770 New Member

I did think about making my GSG5 a SBR but by the time I buy the short barrel and the stamp another $400 in to the gun. Just could not do,it.

11. rachilders

rachilders New Member

It would be much easier to simply buy a new 10/22 rifle as others have pointed out. OTOH, you said you had considered making your Ruger into a SBR and that is still not a bad idea if you don't mind spending more in the long run for a one of a kind rifle. Simply replace your current stock with a standard size 10/22 stock and you have a gun that's more compact but still has a standard length butt stock for accuracy. The downsize is that you'd be creating a SBR so you'd need to apply for the Class III stamp and then wait for around 6 months. OTOH, you'd have a unique, one of a kind gun. I recently did something similar with a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol. Got the stamp and turned my PLR into a 9" SBR using K-T butt stocks and parts already made to fit their SU-16 series rifles. Also, I can add options like a vertical fore grip without applying for another stamp from the ATF since my gun is now a rifle. Just a suggestion and another option available to you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  12. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

error in typing- key word omitted. Mod

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  13. c3shooter

Big rock- think you need to edit your post- there were some NOTs that should be in there.

14. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

From the way I understand it you can go from a pistol to a 16" barreled rifle but you can not go back to a pistol if that's done. You can not go to a pistol if you ever had a long barrel and stock on your firearm.

15. c3shooter

Very good- and correct. You can make a rifle from a pistol, but making a pistol FROM a rifle requires a tax stamp.