need bullet penetration info

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by alopolo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. alopolo

alopolo New Member

hi im new here, never really been on a website dedicated to guns lol. where im from guns do not exist (toronto, canada). I have never held a gun in my life and have only seen cops carrying them. However i do know a bit about ammunition and guns ie 9mm 147gr jhp outperforms 230gr 0.45 acp in penetration and so on. But im mostly a computer geek lol.

Now im modifying a video game called rainbow 6 and i need information on penetration for the following bullets. The bullets are scored for penetration from 0.01 to 2. The lower, the more penetration. For reference the 9mm FMJ has 0.50 score against level I armor and a rubber baton cartridge for spas-12 has penetration of 2. I was wondering if anyone could help me make these numbers as realistic as possible.Please provide estimation if you can for level III armor as well. thanks.

9x19mm Parabellum
    0.40 S&W
    0.45 APC
    0.357 Magnum
    0.50 AE

10x25mm
    4.73 x 33mm - Caseless
    4.6mm PDW
    FN 5.7 x 28mm

9x39mm
    5.56x45mm
    7.62x39mm
    7.62x45mm
    7.62x51mm
    7.62x54mm
    7.65mm
    5.45mm
    0.50 Browning
    0.300 winchester
    0.338 Lapua Magnum
    .224 BOZ

thanks!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

in google type in: 45 acp performance data

replace 45 acp with whatever round you want.

if your looking for typical performance just add the categories up and average them. then set a armor value and apply it equally to all rounds. that should get your mods a bit more realistic.

the below quote is taken from
    9mm Ammunition Performance Data
    .45 ACP Ammunition Performance Data

i think you need more research on 45 and 9mm. 45acp will typically out perform 9mm in just about every category. i am not sure what you mean by classes of armour. from my understanding armoured vests called class 1 are cloth vests that will stop just about all pistol rounds 357mag and down dead in its tracks, class 2 will stop some larger calibers and includes a shock plate, class 3 stops typical rifle rounds like .223 and .308.

3. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

With all due respect, i taught my sons from a very young age that shooting someone was not a game.

I did not allow toy guns in my home, but I bought them real guns when they were 12 and by shooting a gallon can of tomato paste when the snow was on, their realization of the effects were re-enforced.

They were never afraid of guns because they knew how to use them safely.

Sorry to be a downer, I've just always been serious about this. Good luck with your venture!

4. alopolo

alopolo New Member

thanks here is what i managed to figure out so far for pistol ammo. i have made the following table:

[​IMG]

.357 magnum and .45 acp have the upper hand in ball points but in hollow points 9mm seems to penetrate the furthest. as for rifle rounds i found that nato 7.62x51 slightly outperforms the 7.62x39 in penetration and falls behind only vs the .338 lapua and 0.50 browning.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I've been around guns all my life. Real, toy, and video games. Im not going to attempt to give instruction on raising your children, but I think your part wrong.

OP has asked a legitimate question, seeking info about something were likely well versed on. The worst thing possible would be to "cock block ".

6. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

You're absolutely right. My personal feelings on this issue were not requested nor appreciated most likely.

Although my writing on personal issues came out (now that I read it again) as a mini textbook for parents, it wasn't intended to be. I feel like it was a "did I say that out loud?" moment.

JohnM's info is generally very good. Hopefully he answered your questions. And sincerely, good luck on your venture.

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I happen to love this style of game. I do not own Rainbow Six yet though as I am hooked On Call of Duty Black Ops. I do appreciate the level of detail and planning that goes into these games.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k]YouTube - Lighten Up Francis[/ame]

9. alopolo

alopolo New Member

that's wierd i have made several replys which have failed to show up. im not sure even this post will be visible can someone help

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

This one did.

11. alopolo

alopolo New Member

ok it seems i cannot include links to images?? i have an image i created myself of an excel chart regarding bullet penetration.

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon are both very good franchises. ;) Of course for online play it has been strictly COD for me :D

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you like those try far cry 2 i been hooked on the single play xbox 360 version for months. nothing like smoking a guy taking a whizz on the side of a tree with a svd.