need bigger.... ?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by nyb631, Feb 3, 2011.

1. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

for hiking / hunting is a 357 MAG or a stronger gun needed if a Wolf, or big deer was to come up on you..
    I live in FL, near Tampa..

I have a SP101 357 and a
    Judge public defender 45 LC / .410 snub

but im not looking to sniper anything but just hike really, I just want to make sure a 357 ammo would do the job if a bigger then dog size animal wanted to play foot ball.....

-Robert

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cannot recall a surplus of wolves or big deer near Tampa- but I might have missed that. :p Seriously, a .357 should handle anything short of large bear. Biggest problem you are likely to have in that area travels on 2 feet.

3. Creeker

Creeker New Member

Never laid eyes on a dog or deer a 357 wouldn't keep off my hide.

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

My God, a .357 will stop a Chevy.

5. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

i hate to LMAO, but "LMAO @ C3SHOOTER." i think you MIGHT need to call the wildlife and fisheries and have'm come and trap those critters!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  6. orangello

orangello New Member

7. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

I do a lot of hiking and near tampa is a lot of hiking grounds and I now and still counting 3 times a animal has come and attacked me...

last time i was walking around my block and a stray dog started barking @ me from behind and it was like 10 feet away, thank the 2nd for letting me be able to protect myself... that thing looked like a 150 lbs beast!!...

8. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

the Python is wayy out of my price range.,.,.. =(
    maybe one day if i can find one used...
    my ruger sp101 i got for $450... used.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Dang, you have been attacked by animals 3 times? That's a ton for one lifetime. Do you wear bacon scented cologne or something?

You'd be better off with some pepper spray than shooting animals because you think they might attack you. Get the big pepper spray, the one made for bears.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Not so far fetched. My wife has been bitten by dogs a few times and is now very afraid of them. I have scars on my right hand from a dog attack when I was a kid. I used a fish whacker on a couple of dogs when I had a paper route. I have been attacked several times on my bicycle and carry pepper spray when riding. I ran one dog into the ground by riding just fast enough to keep him interested. He never chased me again. No I dont wear bacon scented cologne.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The guns you already have are plenty powerful enough for the critters you'll likely be encountering where you live. Just practice so that your shot placement is good.

12. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

This may sound crazy but I work in Land o Lakes and live north of that..
    I got off work and in the parking lot was a 5 foot or 6 foot dam gator...
    my co workers all ran like crazy and i stood there and was like F**** really...

do to my job we cant bring any type of weapons onto the job. so everything was in my car... =( and i had to wait for animal control to take the thing away!! i was like so pissed I just worked a double and had to wait another 2 hrs for this to be delt with, in FL its crazy... my boss been attacked by a few wild cats ... in the last 3 months...

13. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

The last three posts I've read of yours seem to be coming off wrong to me. I can understand if you are joking around, but remember we have no idea what you mean nor have you been around long enough to know your sense of humor. That's why those smilies are on the right when you're replying.:cool::D:) Try to use them when joking, otherwise it looks like you're trying to be rude or make fun.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  14. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

well with that response I am just going to assume you intend on being an a$$hole and will forward you and your infinite knowledge of nothing to my ignore list. Thanks for being such a cool guy

15. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

16. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

Buckhunt Thanks for that posting...
    That URL is a really nice one to read...
    the 2 dogs are a good way to think about what is a real
    thing that does happen.

I was talking to my boss today and she was walking her young kids to the bus stop and it was a stray dog that was barking @ them... now she has a 1911 45acp.. and she had it ready but the dog went away...

really a small mom and a young kid...

Im happy i picked my sp 101... its nice knowing I can defend myself.

Peace.

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

[​IMG]

18. montveil

montveil New Member

My milkman friend many years ago used a water pistol loaded with ammonia and Tabasco sauce strained through a coffee strainer.
    I can vouch for its effectiveness when aimed for the eyes and snout. The ammonia disrupted your scent and closed the eyes and the Tabasco kept the eyes shut.
    Today the new pepper sprays probably do the same.

19. Gut_Pile

Gut_Pile New Member

Wolves in FL? If it were me I'd carry a S&W 642. I'd be more worried about 2 legged critters in FL than I would be about wolves. I used to carry all sorts of guns in bear country while hunting (Washington State). 40 s&w, .45 ACP, .41 mag, 44 mag, .45 colt. I just bought a Glock 20 10mm for my woods gun. 15+1 of hot 10's is about as good as it gets.

20. Hawg

Hawg New Member

In FL I'd be more worried about snakes.