Need an Upper (or tow) TODAY! Would love input.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by diggsbakes, Nov 28, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Need an Upper (or two) TODAY! Would love input.

Here's the dilemma. Looks like my BCM upper will be tied up for a little while, so I'm gonna go ahead and finish off some of my my other projects.

I NEED 2 UPPERS!

I'd like at least one to really put it out to the 500 yd line. I'm not opposed to RRA, STAG, BUSHMASTER, ARMALITE, etc.

Piston driven is desirable for one possibility.

Basically Right now I have 2 complete lowers and they need to be rifles, either to sell or save while I have my BCM repaired and re-barreled.

So help a brother out! Where's all the sweet deals going down at? Any blackfriday leftovers. ;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

pistons do bad things to accuracy. since i am assuming thats what your after with a 500 yard desired range. a piston system is like the opposite effect of free floating.

ive been impressed so far with my RRA 458 socom upper. the only gripe i have is they lock-tite the free float handguards. since im not a fan of free floats due to weight issues i cussed a bit when i figured that out. quality is pretty high on the RRA upper and lower i have. the free float tube is really nice that came with it. after i get from my deer hunt im going to remove that hand guard and replace the barrel nut and free float with clamshell a2 handguards if i cant dig up some midlength triangles.

im pretty sure my next AR will be a rock river in 308.

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

The piston gun wouldn't be the 500 yard gun, although I shot a LWRC piston gun Friday and the gun's owner (may Dad) shot consistent 3/4"-1/2" groups @ 100yds.

Let me re-phrase the question by beginning with a statement:

I really like ARs. My Ar is broke. I really like piston guns. I really like distance guns. I want an upper today.

I wonder where I could spend $600-$900 and satisfy at least one of those criteria that I have.

Looking at RRA's LR HB types. Liking them

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not sure RRA offers a piston upper. they have full rifle pistons. they do have affordable longer range uppers with lots of nice options like full chrome bcg/bolt and other options.

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

OK, I'm not set on a piston!

They'd be great, but a superaccurate 20" hbar/bull would be ideal for a long(er) ranged gun. I would consider taking in anything quality for the 300yd on in gun. This gun would obviosly sport a FF (hell even 2 piece) quad rail system and optics/accessories that would aid in this range of shooting. If this turned into a piston gun, great. If not, oh well. . . .

The Bushmaster dissipator just came to me as an opportunity. I'm not a big Bushy fan, but at $750 for the rifle, that leaves me room for improvement.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Hey diggs, I've still got my stripped upper.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yeah I know spitty. . . you'd have to talk me into that one. A del-ton may be one of the solutions for the "less that custom" lower, but it'll have to be complete with BCG, BARREL, etc. That way I can ditch that rifle pretty quickly at a the show or my shop at NO loss.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Good luck, my friend.

9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

THANK YOU!

As luck would have it. (and this never happens to me) I was left with a Bushmaster Dissipator today.

Now I still need to replace the barrel on the BCM, but should it be 14.5" or convert into a distance gun? Better sleep on this one.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Bump, for the good of my gun safe. :)

ALL QUALITY AR -15 PARTS ARE WELCOME TOO!!!

Spitty, I may be looking your way!

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Where did you hear this?

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Take a look at SmartGunner.com

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I had good luck w/ their 18", rifle length gs system, SPR barrel.

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's where I'm looking right now, but I haven't heard anything as to the quality of their uppers, only that they have great barrels.

I have some Spike's lowers, but chances are I may turn those into back up/for sale guns and start with a set of receivers from the same company.

Any suggestions?

15. russ

russ New Member

Diggs, I have a CMMG M4 LEP II upper. M4 profile piston upper, 16" barrel. I've added a Midwest Industries freefloat quad rail. I'm changing this configuration and would sell the upper complete if you might be interested.

This upper:
    [​IMG]

16. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I have a complete NM upper from them. Long heavy stainless freefloated barrel, on their upper with a NM bolt and carrier. This thing will shoot 500 yards. It's a beauty, and it shoots as good as it looks.

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's a sweet set up, Russ, but both of my current ARs are similar barrel length, etc. This next one has to be a 20" rifle that can put it out there. I'm always looking though so feel free to PM me a roundabout number. ;)