Need an academy gun...

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jmw_LS2, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jmw_LS2

jmw_LS2 New Member

We start going to the range in about a month at my police academy and I'm looking for opinions on a gun. I would like to stick to a 9mm since I will also have to buy around 2,000 rounds. I've been looking every where and I believe I have narrowed it down to the Stoeger Cougar and the CZ 75b. My local gun shop has a Cougar, and I must say, I like it alot. I have never shot one but it feels good in my hand. I have never held a CZ(but have read fantastic reviews), so I'm hesitant about buying something I've never even held. Anyone have experience with both? Pros? Cons?

Oh, and my third choice was the M&P 9, but I already have the .45 and .357 so I was looking to diversify the collection a little.

Thanks!

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Don't academies issue you a sidearm?

If they don't what is the department issue where you are going to work? If they issue you a sig then get that if they issue you a glock then get that.

I have never seen a Stoeger Cougar.

3. jmw_LS2

jmw_LS2 New Member

It's a self sponsor academy, so I'm paying my own way through and have to supply my own gear.

4. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I wouldn't stray too far when looking for a duty weapon. Your department armorer and ultimately the Chief would most likely have to approve any privately owned weapon you intend to carry. Though the CZ is my favorite handgun and has been since I purchased my first one several years ago, I wouldn't try to convince the "brass" of that.

Your M&P's are already pretty widely accepted and issued by many agencies so I would advise you to take the money you are planning to by a new firearm with and use it for ammo for either the .357 Sig or .45 ACP and "diversify" later with guns that YOU want for YOU, not ones that are acceptable to the department bureaucrats or city attorneys. Chances are, they don't know what is good, bad or otherwise. If it doesn't look good on paper to them, it is a no-go. Just my opinion.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You really can't go wrong with either. The CZ is legendary for quality & reliability. The Stoeger Cougar is a Beretta Cougar design now made by Stoeger. It features a unique rotating barrel lockup system that supposedly helps with accuracy. I do know the Cougars I've shot (.45) were VERY accurate and reliable.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've owned both. I prefer the CZ.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Why buy, train and get comfortable with something that will need changed-out when you become gainfully employed?

You will back to square one and need to start training anew. [​IMG]

8. jmw_LS2

jmw_LS2 New Member

This is true, but being a self sponsor I have no clue what I will end up carrying when I am gainfully employed. It seems like every department I have applied to carries something different.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do any of them carry the Stoeger Cougar? [​IMG]

10. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I would use my M&P 45. The cost of buying a new gun should cover the difference in the cost of 45 ammo and 9mm ammo. If you are determined to buy a 9mm gun just for school, then I would get a used (police trade in maybe) Glock 17. Odds are that whatever department you get a job with a Glock will be the issue gun.

11. jmw_LS2

jmw_LS2 New Member

Good point sir, good point.

12. jmw_LS2

jmw_LS2 New Member

Actually, they have all gotten rid of their Glocks. Mostly M&P's and SIGs around here.

Before our sheriffs department got M&Ps they were comtemplating carrying .45 GAPs lol

With that being said, I am going to see what it would cost me for 2,000 rounds of .45acp.

Then I'll probably buy the 9mm just because! haha

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I'd get the Stoeger Cougar...

Heck, a good cop needs to be able to pick up & disarm a WIDE variety of pistols, rifles, and shotguns...extra training never hurt.

And in a pinch, needs to be able to shoot almost anything as well...say you are in the process of a home search, you find a pistol in the couch, then a perp falls out of the cieling...do you use the gun you were about to clear, or take the time to drop it and draw your duty weapon??

14. SgtBHalsey

SgtBHalsey New Member

I have never heard of a police academy where you had to buy your own gun, are you in a foreign academy? cougar? that is definitely not a standard issue arm I have ever seen, I would stick to the basics like glock and sig and S&W M&P

15. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

In Florida & a few other states, if you have not already been hired by a department, you may attend on your own dime...which means you buy all your own gear for it.

It does make it faster to get hired, once you already have your credentials.

16. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

While looking at the brands you've said, I suggest you look at the Sig Sauer Pro 2022.

[​IMG]

They are the best kept secret around.

I bought mine at a LGS for $475.

It shoots accurately and it's trigger is a Sig - smooth as butter.

:cool: