Need advise/help choosing my AR.

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Poink88, May 8, 2010.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Need advise/help choosing my AR (or something else).

I am on the fence whether to get a .223/5.56 AR15 or a .308/7.62 AR. Budget limit (for the rifle only) is $1,300.

If I go with AR15, I am almost set on DDM4v3 but want my AR to share ammo with my hunting rifle if possible. Having a more "potent" .308 AR doesn't hurt either and if it proves accurate enough, I might end up going hunting with it too (if it is legal).

I am also considering PTR91 but want to hear if there are better options out there. I am aware of the extra (4 lbs) weight & ammo cost difference. Just want to see my choices before really finalizing my purchase.

Oh...this is supposed to be my all purpose, SHTF go to rifle so I want to really make sure it is a reliable weapon.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would say when in doubt about an AR & caliber to go with 5.56 and go with a standard AR not a clone or piston version. That way you have access to the vast supply of parts and accessories out there for the AR-15. Now of course you can break this rule if you're 100% sure you want something else but BE sure.

The DDM4v3 is a fine choice, Daniel Defense is a tier 1 manufacturer and it's a middy on top of that.

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Just found potential AR candidates from RRA.

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-8 Mid-Length A4

308A1239X RRA LAR-8 Mid-Length A4 Rifle ----- $1,265.00

Planning on adding these options;
    RRA Quad Rail Free float +$150.00
    Smith AWB Muzzle brake +$65.00
    ERGO grip Ambi black +$0.00 ------------- for $1,480.00 total

or these:
    Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-8 Varmint A4

Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-8 Predator HP

Comments please.

BTW, I have a lead where to get these RRA a bit cheaper...just wondering which is the best option. Thanks.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you hunt with an AR or other high capacity weapon most states require fixed capacity magazines for hunting. the max capacity varies state to state.

5. NPD5946TSW

NPD5946TSW New Member

If you already have a huntin' rifle, I'd stick with the 556. Quentin is right, there are more ways to deck out a 556 AR. Plus, if you get the AR in 556, and decide down the road you REALLY want to hunt with it, you can pick up a 6.8 upper to slap on there to kill some fuzzies with.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Another good .308 contender came up during my research...FN FAL. So many to choose from, the more I research the more confused I get (sigh).

I will most likely end up buying the DDM4v3 for now and buy a FAL later :D

Thanks for the help guys!

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I have both an AR-15, and an AR-10. The AR-10 definitely has that "cool" factor, and is a lot of fun to shoot, plus it gets looks every time I take it to the range.

A few other members and I have the DPMS LR-308b, and have all been happy with it. I shoot factory ammo, but some of the handloaders have been able to get their groups down to less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

As to which one I like better, it's hard to say, they both have their place and I enjoy both very much.

-Fred

8. 89Bronc

89Bronc New Member

I've been in love with the AR-10 platform for years. If I was going to buy one, though, it wouldn't be on a budget. I'd get a Rock River LAR-8. However, SHTF and you're going to want the AR-15 platform. Like everybody said, the parts are easy to find, ammo is cheaper and you'll find it everywhere. I'm partial to Rock River personally, maybe because they're made 3 hours from where I live, but DD isn't a bad way to go. As for the FAL, not a bad choice, but I say you stick with the AR-10 platform; imo, you get more for your money.