Firearms Talk banner

need advise for first reloader

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  seedy 
#1 ·
Hello, i want to get into reloading, just 9mm at the moment, i saw the Dillon b press, and i thought it was pretty good, except that you have to advance each round to each station, as well as set the bullet into the prepared case

are they any brands that will automatically do these things,
the idea being, after setup, you put in empty cases, and complete rounds come out the other side?, all you have to do is pull the lever.

thanks

#4 ·
I use the Dillon RL-450 (the forerunner of the 550 w/o the auto powder and primer). I have to manually operate the powder drop, primer pickup, feed case and bullet and I can consistantly get 400+ rds/hour. I like that I have to concentrate on what I am doing. It helps purge all the other garbage from my mind, very cathartic.

I shoot and load a lot so I find it hard to understand why anyone would "need" higher output than that.

#5 ·
Well if you just want to close your eye's and pull the lever, Please be shooting in the next stall from me !

If you screw up reloading, you could be dead when you pull the trigger on a round that is incorrectly loaded.

All progressive presses, (whether they have auto indexing or not), usually have at least 4 rounds in one or more stages of the reloading process. When something bad happens, the operator needs to diagnose the problem.

My first press was a Dillon 550b. I bought it in 1988. Loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds. Had maybe on squib in all those years. Today I have a Dillon 650 (with auto indexing). When something goes bad, the train already left the station (ie, the problem has moved to the next station). So as you diagnose it, you have to move back one station.

Personally, If Dillon made a full purpose case feeder for the 550, I would of never of bought the 650 (ie support for rifle along with pistol cartridges). Manual indexing is sometimes the best way to go.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy

#6 ·
For starting out I would start with a a single stage. Even if you get a progressive later you will still use the single stage.

it is better to walk before you start running.

But you can get the RCBS pro 1000 with their brand new bullet feeder and a case feeder. then you can just blindly pull the handle. But please shoot far away from other people as you would not want to hurt bystanders.

#8 ·
Firearms are one of the most subjective subjects you can get into. Read a book on basic reloading and learn enough so you have common sense about what you are doing. To start with a progressive press is like learning how to drive using an eighteen wheeler. Buy yourself a basic setup and and build up a base of knowledge. To put it simply start at the shallow end of the pool when learning how to swim. CD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.